Infantry mod request

RedWardancer

Is there a way for someone to make a mod in which infantry can combine understrength units together? For example: in Saturday's DOW, I had about seven infantry teams with one man or two. Separately, they were ineffective but if I could have had the option to reform them, more damage could have been done. This can easily be done in real life, why not in SB?

Or is infantry just not that big of a deal in a tank simulator?:cool3:

• Members

One problem is how unit identities are handled in the code. It's much harder in a simulation to merge multiple units into one than it is in real life. Not saying that it is impossible, but under the prevailing conditions it appears as a less favorable effort to benefit ratio than other development tasks.

Another point of contention would be that there are countless examples in military history that you can't throw a dozen lucky survivors into a bucket, shake it, and out comes a new squad that will work just as effectively as one that has gone through the same training for months. True and reliable bonding is much less likely to happen. Not impossible, but usually this takes a lot more time than for what our scenarios typically allow.

Also, I think that you dismiss those that aren't there in your case - the wounded. Who will treat them? Would it really be a great idea to pull everybody who isn't wounded out of squads to form a new unit while leaving the wounded behind without adequate protection and support?

This isn't the 1943 East Front that we're simulating. ;)

Is there a way for someone to make a mod in which infantry can combine understrength units together? For example: in Saturday's DOW, I had about seven infantry teams with one man or two. Separately, they were ineffective but if I could have had the option to reform them, more damage could have been done. This can easily be done in real life, why not in SB?

Or is infantry just not that big of a deal in a tank simulator?:cool3:

Overall, I wish the 'Attach to' feature was more fluid and allowed player to piece units together more effectively.

Overall, I wish the 'Attach to' feature was more fluid and allowed player to piece units together more effectively.

Well admittedly it is a bit limited once the game is running but then again in RL there are limitations too.

However there is nothing stopping the mission designer from task organising the units prior to the mission starting, as detailed here:

This is one guide of many detailed here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16426

While the example PDF is vehicle centric you certainly can do the same thing with Infantry. e.g. add an AGL, Mortar or ATGM team to a leg infantry unit or convert say an infantry squad to an ATGM team within a platoon, etc.

So if your mission requires units (of almost any sort - air and ground units can't mix) to be configured in a certain way before you cross the LD then that's possible already.

In fact in SB at this moment its more efective have a lot of small fire teams than a big squad,because in a big squad only 1 soldier can fire AT weapons, if you have a lot of small fire teams you can fire RPGfrom varius directions,also a complete squad can be supressed with only a coax burst,doesnt matter how big it is, only few bullets arround them and they will not fire their RPG,that can not happen if you spread your fire teams far enough.