AI + destroyed engine = popping smoke = ducky death...

macieksoft

I noticed that when vehicle gets immobilised by destroying engine AI starts to pop smoke.

I think that its a kind of suicidie. Why?

Because smoking only helps if you pop it and drive away. Its good when u have working engine. When you not drive away its easy to remember your last position and killing such target is not much harder than killing no smoking static target.

What is IMO correct action?

I think that instead of smoking AI should start to engage targets when immobilised. You are easy target aswell but at least you can see your enemies and shoot at them. Its much better than smoking and loosing any chances to do return fire (multispectral smoke = you are blind by your own smoke).

What you thinking about it?

I think that in such case smoking will kill you even before your lungs will get cancer because of another kind of smoking ;-)

I noticed that when vehicle gets immobilised by destroying engine AI starts to pop smoke.

I think that its a kind of suicidie. Why?

Because smoking only helps if you pop it and drive away. Its good when u have working engine. When you not drive away its easy to remember your last position and killing such target is not much harder than killing no smoking static target.

What is IMO correct action?

I think that instead of smoking AI should start to engage targets when immobilised. You are easy target aswell but at least you can see your enemies and shoot at them. Its much better than smoking and loosing any chances to do return fire (multispectral smoke = you are blind by your own smoke).

What you thinking about it?

I think that in such case smoking will kill you even before your lungs will get cancer because of another kind of smoking ;-)

Your engine got destroyed (i assume by enemy fire) , you allready are detected. Popping smoke will not make it worse. But IRL can help your crew bail out and run off.

In this particular situation there was almost nowhere to run. Much like open area with only few trees near. The only place i could hide was inside enemy vehicle ;-) Would be nice to know Russian and tell those enemies that i give up...

...Then it would be not so much nice while being jailed and forced to say 1000 times per day that Putin is best leader....

Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. In this situation i decided to engage enemies but AI popped smoke and we died like ducks (but i don't remember it was after smoke has burned or maybe while smoking). Smoke surely made it worse. I could not engage enemies because i could not see them.

Yes vehicle was immobilised, but it was still providing protection and i was still a big threat to enemy until AI made me blind... I prefeer to be immobilised but protected than being non protected at all and forced to run at the open area without any protection just like swimming duck...

Evacuation is good but u must have a place where u can hide. Open area is not such place... No buildings, only few trees and some grass means no way to hide my ass. Also i heared that smoke may be sometimes toxic, i am not sure what about multispectral.

And the smoke will burn out leaving me without any protection running like bunny in arcade game. But i am sure that bunny hoping will not help me (its good anyway, i have enough bunny hopers in arcade games, they are really annoying)... Single 30mm HE round near such jumping human bunny and bunny becomes a dinner...

And thats my point...

...And my humor....

A stopped tank, is a dead tank(at least in a "symetrical warfare" situation).

The smoke buys you time to get out, or for your buddies to clear the threat.

Even on open ground, you can get some form of cover(i.e. grass).If not, start digging ;-). There are simply more important things to shoot at then a few people at 2000m.

So, enemy would not likely wast ammo on you.

He will fire at still but shooting tanks though.

So, the SB AI behaviour is sound a sensable for most cases.

I do not expect the AI to be able to judge terrain, own and enemy situation and then make a decision to pop smoke or not. So I'm quite happy what it does at it is right in 97% of cases

Who says that there was other guys to fire at and who says that i was 2km away from them? ;)

It was specific scenario anyway. Some kind of asymetric situation. It was good until AI decided to pop smoke...

So would be nice if i could turn off AI commander and gunner to do not make any decisions and do all at my own. I would probably die, but i would at least take enemy with me ;)

They should make bailing out possible in SB and they should at least give me a pistol to suicidie when i bail out because i don't wanna be a bunny...

Also there is annoying problem with T-72 AI gunner who loads first best type of ammo as soon as mission starts. What is the problem? Its simple. It often requires to waste this ammo (its usually KE) and when i fire it at BRDM-2 it like to go trough it and do not damage it too much. So i am forced to unload gun by only way possible in SB...

...Trough a front side of barrel...

Is there no way to unload gun normally then disassemble ammo IRL?

Not practically.

20 mins plus to unload (potentially damaging the propellant charge, that is, spilling propellant around the fighting compartment) and reload or 1 min to fire/waste the "wrong" round and then load the one you want.

Your choice.

So i prefeer to keep gun unloaded then load the round when i identify enemy. But AI don't like my way and forcing me to waste ammo by loading first best one...

So thats why i requesting option to disable AI gunner and commander.

Well that's not really how its done in real life and SB is based on what happens in real life and does its best to model that.

Driving around unloaded automatically gives the advantage to the other guy.

Much better to have something "up the spout", even if its not the best option, than nothing. A KE round will kill a BRDM-2 and almost everything else. Defaulting to a HE might be good against a BRDM-2 but very limited against other targets.

I suspect no military customer will want this option and that puts it way down the priority list to be implemented.

Military customers will not want it, yes.

Why?

Maybe because they always have full human crew (so no AI in tank) if they do not have AI in tank they do not have a need to disable something that is not existing ;)

Anyway IIRC T-72 is not actually used by SB PRO PE military customers. This appears to be annoying only in T-72.

There is no things like reloading autoloader's carousel. You can drink some tea when other guy (this mr muscle who is under your command and hes reloading it) will never need to go to gym anymore. And even more funny is getting ducked (killed like a duck) while doing it ;)

Military customers will not want it, yes.

Why?

Maybe because they always have full human crew (so no AI in tank) if they do not have AI in tank they do not have a need to disable something that is not existing ;)

No, because it is bad training. We try not to teach the wrong things, but the right ones. :)

Also you take the rough with the smooth so if you happen across target type X with an ammunition nature more suited to target type Y then you fire off the round, hope it distracts them / does some damage and then reload as you move.

Statistically firing the wrong round once isn't a big deal compared to the total number of rounds carried by the tank.

Its also not really an issue for most military customers as they are manning western tanks and shooting at T-72s so this type of issue with the T-72 isn't really a problem (esp. as you are usually facing several of them in any case).

[...]

There is no things like reloading autoloader's carousel. You can drink some tea when other guy (this mr muscle who is under your command and hes reloading it) will never need to go to gym anymore. And even more funny is getting ducked (killed like a duck) while doing it ;)

No One force you not to get some of the realistic reloading of a T 72 on your own ?!

Open your Window for 4 h before you start SB, put a Peace of 18 ~ 20 Kg Metal in your Refrigerator for the same Time. Knee down under your Desk and pull the Peace of Metal up to your desktop and down again and again, while the AI is reloading your T 72.

For more realistic Atmosphere you can heat some hydraulic Oil or Diesel on a little Stove...... ;-=