Ammunition questions.

GSprocket

There may be more, but for my first: (Mission editor/ammunition data).

1) Is the French OFUM PH 105F1 really an HE round? The designation suggests smoke (OFUM=Smoke, PH I'd guess referring to Phosphorous?).

The "penetration" data suggests a WP type performance, rather than HE (150-180 for smoke in this calibre is common, while 300-310 seems to be the HESH values, and 240 is the French OE (explosive) round).

2) Should the T72M4 be able to stow BM-42M? (it currently still can, but not BM-42)

3) The 115mm OF-27 seems to be available on T-80U and T-90S vehicles. (ISD 1970s, identical performance data).

• Members
1) Is the French OFUM PH 105F1 really an HE round? The designation suggests smoke (OFUM=Smoke, PH I'd guess referring to Phosphorous?).

I tend to agree with you. Will need to check however if there was some reason behind this deviation.

2) Should the T72M4 be able to stow BM-42M? (it currently still can, but not BM-42)

According to the notes that I received from the programmers, no. But maybe I misread them, or there was another oversight.

3) The 115mm OF-27 seems to be available on T-80U and T-90S vehicles. (ISD 1970s, identical performance data).

Shouldn't happen, I agree. We'll check it.

• Moderators

Yes, that was simply a typo; I accidentally removed BM-42 from the T-72M4, instead of BM-42M. Fixed now. :redface:

Ouch, good catch! I wonder how long that has been overlooked. Fixed now.

Thanks! :drink:

Edited by Volcano

• 2 weeks later...

4) Apparent lack of M3 stowage.

BFV has 900 rds of HEI and APDS (I've seen 200 APDS and 700 HEI suggested as reasonable values, with 70 & 230 ready loaded). It also has stowage for 5 reloads for TOW, and 2200 rounds of 7.62mm for the onboard weapon (plus the dismount's stowage).

CFV deleted 5 dismounts in exchange for increased stowage. I've seen total stowage of 1500 rds of HEI and APDS (with indications that the APDS was given the larger share - same belt sizes (and unless the instructions for filling the "hotboxes" differ between CFV and BFV the same 70 & 230 belts)). Ammunition supply for the coax increased to 4400 rounds.

The existing models use the same ammunition capacities, except for ATGM, which have the 5+2 and 10+2 values.

Yes, that is what I see & understand. Current values for BFV & CFV:

67(133) APDS, 233(467) HEI, 800(1400) 7.62mm, 2(5)-BFV 2(10)-CFV TOW

This is correct(ish*) for the BFV, but the CFV should have more gun ammunition. (*Actual belt is 70 rds/230 rds from what I have read).

Not entirely sure what the doctrinal loadout is though I've seen repeated mention of a 1500 round total (900 for the BFV), and one breakdown into 1125 APDS and 375 HEI ~ though that could easily be reversed without seeming *wrong*.

The CFV Coax loadout was given as 800(3600) 7.62mm, or 400 ready for the command scout sub-variant to make space for the additional comms gear.

• Moderators

Right, the BFV ammo issue is known - it has to do with a rounding error in SB in how ready/stowed rounds are applied, thus making 70 and 230 impossible due to the overall total. Not much we can do about that any time soon.

But OK, we will look into the adjusting the CFV ammo counts to match the increased load it should have...

• Moderators

OK...

1) Will determine at a future date.

2 & 3) Should be fixed in hotfix.

4) Should be fixed in a future upgrade (we are trying to keep the hotfix to essential files and small size - the idea being that 2 & 3 are important, but 4 is "nice" but can wait until later). In any case, 2-4 are all fixed now. ;)

• 2 months later...

As for ammunition for Czech T-72s including T-72M4, the manual states

1997-8? Possible Czech KE upgrade - not clear if produced.

1997-98? Possible Slovak KE upgrade - not clear if produced.

However, it is clear that the upgrades were in fact produced: in Czech Republic, the "EPpSv-97" APFSDS was developed and fielded for T-72M4:

Total weight: 20,3 kg

Penetrator: 3,8 kg, developed "with Israeli cooperation"

Penetrator+combustible filling: 10,7 kg

L/D ratio: 20:1

Penetration: "1,6x more than BM-15"

I could provide some photos/screen grabs of both the penetrator itself and whole EPpSv-97 cartridge from Czech Army's promo-video.

The Slovaks have developed similar "TAPNA" with official penetration of 540mm RHaE @ 2000 m, only with their own national suppliers:

http://www.kotadef.sk/images/content/documents/prospekty/prospekt_TAPNA.pdf

Will these APFSDSs ever be modeled and/or listed properly in the SB documentation?

Will these APFSDSs ever be modeled and/or listed properly in the SB documentation?

Considering how precious programming time is for eSim, it isn't really necessary to model those specific rounds, as two good analogs already exist: T-2A for the EPpSv-97 cartridge and the Polish "Pronit", which matches the "TAPNA" almost exactly. Another case for "squint harder"...

Okay.

But since I see you happen to be Wiki editor, do you think it would be possible to add the information about EPpSv-97 and TAPNA to appropriate Wiki pages (T-72M4 and M1) so that SB-ers would know which similar modern rounds to use to get realistic performance with T-72M4?

• Moderators

Not sure where my post went but...

MAJ Fubar is correct, everyone can edit the wiki and we encourage that everyone does, it is a community creation and effort. The only requirement is that people have a basic grasp of spelling, punctuation, and grammar. ;)

That said, I happened to be in the wiki looking at something and thew in a quick note about those rounds just now.