TGIF 2015: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

Last TGIF on the temporary machine.

The Ai shoots a lot of the stuff on orange and most of the stuff is stationary, so the FPS issue will not be as important. If I can get at least 2 teammates on Orange I'll Be ok. 3 would be a luxury.

I Co'ed Red OPFOR last time, and wanted to Co the Green National Army this time. However with so many moving parts in a complex attack, I think My FPS issue would be to much of a crutch.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tough as expected. Blue/Green got our heads handed to us. New experience for me as I operated Russian equipment for the first time. Going from the best US equipment to the inferior grade stuff forced me to use my human skill...and error, to the max. We started off well, killing lots of insurgents with almost no losses for the first fifteen minutes. Next thing we know, we are losing and losing big! I completely overlooked the mortars, paying too much attention to my recon units in action and should have commanded from the map board more. Infantry needs grenades! Watched a unit shoot at insurgents from 30 feet away and didn't hit until the 37th burst (I counted). But it's ok, I had the national forces...very poorly trained troops indeed :bigsmile:

I would like to tweak this for my own entertainment...if I can only find out who has the password :cool3:

This was fun despite the loss. Career record as a CO at 2-3 :sad2:

Maybe I should remain a grunt instead of a leader. Tried CO position on DOW and TANKS. Didn't do so well. Not that I'm making excuses (actually, yes I am :bigsmile:), but I didn't have any time to prepare any battle plans for the missions. So, as of Monday, I am 2-5. Really bad. Management is going to fire me if I don't do better and soon. Perhaps I should take everyone's advice and play on the same side as Volcano, Assassin and Rotar :c:

Found out the hard way the devastation of the Reflex missiles. 5K range!?!?!?!?!?! Yikes! And I will NEVER EVER EVER play against those super Leo's again!!!!!

Still, fun playing SB

For what its worth, I'd say stick with it.

Maybe not week in, week out but perhaps take a week or two "off" and check out other people's style.

The key thing is to relinquish the 1st person focus for most of the time, and look at the big picture.

No offence meant (please take as constructive criticism), but we spent a while waiting for you to tell us to unleash over two companies while you tunnel visioned (or at least seemed like it) on one squad's battle (and hence wanting grenades, etc.).

I mean in Real Life when the Battalion CO (which was basically the role you played) is personally focused on the local, intimate battle, you end up like LTCOL H Jones at Groose Green in the Falklands.

Basically you need to come up with a start plan and get things moving, then monitor and "at some point" (the judgement issue) redirect what's left on a new plan once the enemy's plan crystalises (or you see an opportunity).

The last outing even more so as you needed to co-ordinate with Blue as well as control your own stuff.

There is no shame as CO to park somewhere, switch off and just manage the artillery or the support assets or whatever the key piece of kit is and herd the cats.

There will be a bunch of people happy to man Gunner's sights for you and do the hack work. :)

This scene is probably one of the hardest ones for attackers. In situations like that you sometimes have to set Your own conditions for victory.

I was originally going to Co green(If not for My temporary PC). My goal was to get the defenders to bite on a minor attack disguised as a big one. Then lay a bridge and cross elsewhere, establish a bridge head, and launch the main attack, and make the enemy sweat a little in the process.

That would be the mission obj I would tell My teammates, and to ignore the actual victory conditions for the scene. After meeting My own conditions for success if We manage to get the actual victory conditions and win great, if not We still won. Set Your own Bar for success.

• Moderators

20 FEB scenario:

Symmetrical Attack 04-NP-3025-OMU

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

I just updated the scenario. It was suggested that I turn off full map updates, so now it is own party map updates for both sides here. At one time I tried it before and for whatever reason I felt like it needed full updates, but that was back when we weren't so experienced with that mode. So let's try it out again. ;)

Did you give "my" Brad infantry the NLAW's or Javelins? I don't mind having only 2 total shots per rifle section. But unless Blue side is going up against nothing but BRDM's, blue is going to need something that actually works against tanks with ONE SHOT...two at the most with some decent range.

I implore you for the modifications...PLEASE! :bigsmile:

Seems legit. Make every red rifle team a Spike LR team to balance. ;)

That being said, I was waffling on whether to volunteer for CO on this one, but I would rather my first TGIF CO experience not be one where I have to choose what my force will consist of...I'd much rather start with a mission that's more...static?