TGIF 2015: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

AlphaOneSix,

If you want static make Your plan static. If you want to attack with a lot of moving parts do that instead. Just pick a force and go with it. These Symmetrical Scenes tend to toss the plan out the window more than any type of scene IMO. Best to start with a simple plan, then adjust according to what You believe the enemy has in mind. There are plenty of

reinforcements during the battle to change the course of the battle, no matter what Your starting choice. Also I am sure You will get good advice from teammates that have played this before.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That being said, I was waffling on whether to volunteer for CO on this one, but I would rather my first TGIF CO experience not be one where I have to choose what my force will consist of...I'd much rather start with a mission that's more...static?

I wouldn't overthink this too much. Like Brun said, even though the composition of the first (immediate) wave of reinforcements is variable, the next three (2?) waves are set in stone. So, just decide in advance which force structure you want to select for that first wave, and now the mission is "static" and you can pre-plan to your heart's content.

Biggest piece of advice I have for new COs is that you have to accept that you will spend most of your time in the map view, and, secondarily, in Observer/F8 view of your subordinates' vehicles. You should spend very little, or no, time looking through your own vehicle's gunsight and shooting at things.

As far as this particular mission, because the two sides are very evenly matched and have symmetrical objectives, the first 2/3rds of the mission usually consists of both sides cautiously probing around the line of contact. Very attritional. That's not to say that a more aggressive plan would not work. But this mission tends to see very cautious behavior on both sides.

Yeah I was thinking along those same lines, my only real concern was choosing a "wrong" initial mix and getting steamrolled by the opposition.

That being said, all of my thoughts were focused on the red side, so I'd have to bump Colebrook and I definitely do not want him to waste any of his planning that he may have already done. If I don't do it this week, I promise I'll do it next week. ;) (My wife likes using this line on me, so I know it works!)

• Moderators

Well to be clear, it is essentially all NATO type forces in the scenario, just some are newer and some are older. The newer stuff is fewer in number, and the older stuff is more abundant. Quantity versus quantity basically.

Maybe one day I will make a NATO = quality, Warsaw Pact = Quantity version. :)

• Moderators

Good game everyone. Blue nearly took Red's HQ, but either ran out of time and/or steam, and Red fell back to the "Alamo" to defend it at the last minute.

I think it was much more hectic (in a good way) with friendly map updates instead of full map updates and I think I will keep it this way.

I made a few tweaks for next time (2016), the central highlands should be a *little* less slow going (removed some fields there, but kept the fields in the flat lands) and corrected a few typos in the briefing. Most notably, the Quantity Light selection said there were 8x IFVs, which should of said 12x IFVs. :shocked:

Haven't seen that many pieces on such a narrow map in a while. Another ten more minutes and Blue would have won. Red was nowhere near blue HQ. I am happy that off board ammunition is not a factor, otherwise I would have never been able to fire off the 49 fire missions as I had. Being the FO is perhaps more strenuous than manning the front line crew positions :cool3: Nevertheless, fire support is a crucial part of the game. One cannot appreciate it enough unless you don't have it and need it.

Still sucks going up against the God-Tanks (Leos). Rather faceoff against Russian stuff anyday, that includes the T-90s with their ridiculously long ranged missiles.

Now about next week's TGIF...

Yeah I'm a huge fan of those L55's on the Leo2E. Also Spike teams. I had initially intended to go Quality (L) but changed at the last minute to Quality (H)

I wasn't much of a CO (at least not what I hoped I'd be), but I definitely learned a lot. I guess the best outcome is that I'm interested in CO'ing again in the future, so it's not all bad. It helps that I had plenty of competent people that I could pretty much leave to their own devices. Even though the mission ended in a technical "draw", I'm counting it as a loss, as Blue definitely got more penetration on us and given just a few more minutes we'd very likely have lost. The vehicle loss ratio wasn't quite as lopsided as I thought it might be...Blue lost 50 vehicles and Red lost 58. And without full map updates, that UAV becomes a HUGE asset.

Anyway, great fun, and I'm cautiously looking forward to CO'ing again, so I think that's a good outcome.

• Moderators

27 FEB scenario:

TGIF Norkistan vs Sorkistan v2-3

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

6 MAR scenario:

Top Mech Company Challenge 01d-HN-3025

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

13 MAR scenario:

Convoy Ops 01-3025b

We played this one near the end of last year, but it was changed quite a bit since then, based on feedback. The biggest change was to the map where many small crossroad towns and trees were added.

NOTES:

Edited by Volcano

I noticed on the blue section of Convoy ops version 025 for this Friday the lead MRAP has a RWS.

I am wondering if the reload for the 50cal on it has been fixed?

I bring this up just in case, and so that it can be dealt with prior to or in mission as needed. Would hate to have it be a sore spot in the game.

I played a mission with MRAPs and the RWS, and due to the lack of space on vehicle roof, the reload on it was either never going to happen, or so slow it became a detriment to the mission. I found that the MRAP with the LEMUR sight did not have the same problem.

If it was fixed since 3.019 then not a problem, but if not maybe it could be changed out for the LEMUR or the CO and user for the vehicle will just have to plan accordingly.

• Moderators

Interesting, I was not aware of that issue with the 0.50 Cal RWS. OK, we will look into that as it sounds like a bug.

In the mean time, I just updated the scenario so that the Cougar MRAP has a Lemur .50 cal. I wouldn't have updated the scenario just for that since this is not a major issue, but I also noticed that Blue had 2x extra Apaches that I added by mistake (I must of been testing something and forgot to remove them). Those have been removed -- sorry Colebrook. ;)

Interesting, I was not aware of that issue with the 0.50 Cal RWS. OK, we will look into that as it sounds like a bug.

In the mean time, I just updated the scenario so that the Cougar MRAP has a Lemur .50 cal. I wouldn't have updated the scenario just for that since this is not a major issue, but I also noticed that Blue had 2x extra Apaches that I added by mistake (I must of been testing something and forgot to remove them). Those have been removed -- sorry Colebrook. ;)

Bug ID for .50 rws has been posted...