TGIF 2015: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

My problem is the people I'm delegating to. (When I do CO)

"Stop showing initiative, Lansley! Do as you're bloody told!"

Lt Col. Smith, Bluestone 42.

Sometimes it's not initiative, but an egocentric attempt to win on one's own. A while ago I had one of three tank companies in an advance scenario. Pretty simple concept: two companies up, they break through the defensive crust of the enemy, then the reserve company (me) assaults through the gap and takes the objective. But one of my platoon leaders decided that he was going to win the scenario on his own. Off he went forward (being told several times to get back with the reserve where he belonged), got stuck into the gunfight generated at first contact, lost all of his tanks, and then had the misplaced audacity to scream at me to give him more tanks. Sorry, bud: you lost 25% of my company's firepower by being an idiot and I'll be durned if I'm giving you more to lose when I have yet to take the objective.

If you've volunteered to be a follower, follow Hedge's Dictum: "Do as you're bloody well told." If you want to be Patton II, take the CO slot. And don't confuse the two!

Edited by Tango29
Punctuation

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As someone who has played since the first TGIF, I have analyzed the statistical data and found that 50% of all COs lose every TGIF. I have no idea or concern what my record as a CO in TGIF is.

Having a good time and pissing people off are mutually exclusive of one another. If your doing both on Fri night, your doing it wrong. Many people who think they are a good CO mistake micromanagement for leadership. No big deal, it happens in real life also. I would say if someone wants people to fully submit to the CO then they should form a VU with other like minded players. Does anyone really think players want the snot micromanaged out of them? A CO cant be everywhere so must trust his subordinates to act. Knowing the concept of the plan and the commanders intent is helpful in doing that.

Pissed off players probably wont come back.

• Moderators

29 MAY scenario:

Deliberate Defense 03-3025a-OMU

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Edited by Volcano

I like the 3011 version better. :cool3:

Getting fed up with facing the mighty German equipment all the time. Then again, Red always had Russian/Soviet stuff for what, the past ten years?

Oh yeah, THIS mission. Right, NOW you have me interested.

If I can stay up that late...:clin:

I'll CO blue.

Each player must ... submit fully to his Co.

Gigity.

I fully submit to the deity, all others I try to follow the intent of.

In any event there is something to be said for allowing others a chance to do their own thing within the confines of the overall plan. It is frankly better than sitting around for an hour with one's own thoughts to occupy you while waiting for the Grofaz to activate you. Especially when on one hand there is a guy who wants to dictate exactly where each tank is to be placed, and on the other hand there is a guy who will do nothing more than is absolutely required and would rather sit on the objective for however long the mission lasts. In both cases all to win another battle of internet tanks. I can imagine that in TGIFs like that any new player would get thoroughly turned off. At the end of the day people play this to have fun. They don't play it so that some guy can get another victory. If sitting around staring at a screen waiting patiently for hours for the "go" order is "fun" then Eve Online would be your kinda game. At least with that there is a "tangible" benefit to such things. You get access to resources (or keep those you have), you might be able to chase off a rival faction and make your area safer. With this there isn't anything tangible in any way, shape or form. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't play to enhance someone's sense of superiority.

If you've volunteered to be a follower, follow Hedge's Dictum: "Do as you're bloody well told." If you want to be Patton II, take the CO slot. And don't confuse the two!

Sorry, thats just plain wrong.

It is vital to show initiative. The trick is to understand the CO intent in the 1st place and then act according to it.

Sometimes you have to give the CO what he needs...and not what he wants ;-)

As in your post: The player in question seems that he didn't understand the CO's intent ...then of course its bound to go tits up

Initiative is one thing. Knowingly contravening orders is another. This guy knew what he should have been doing: stay with the reserve company. But he also knew what he wanted to do: leave his company against direction and go kill enemy tanks. So that's what he did, against orders, and lost all of his tanks in the effort. That kind of action, especially with that kind of result, leads to a court martial in the real world. Assuming, of course, that he survives his burst of insubordination. And, with respect, this is just plain right.

• Moderators

5 JUN scenario:

!Battle for Schwaben Creek Valley T-72 v6-3025-OMU

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

12 JUN scenario:

Relief to Defense 01-multiparty-3025-OMU

This scenario needs FOUR COs. Blue (US) is the overall CO, with an allied Green (UK) and Grey (DE), versus Red.

NOTES:

Edited by Volcano