TGIF 2015: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators

25 SEP scenario:

Clash of Armor 2014b

SUMMARY:

This is a tank only meeting engagement with lots of tanks of various types. Always good for a massive tank battle with lots of action and maneuvering (based on Kursk 2013).

ADMIN:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Edited by Volcano

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

2 OCT scenario:

Allied Force MTC 01-3025b

SUMMARY:

Need FOUR COs for this one:

Blue: US style company team (M1A2, M2A2)

Green: National army style battalion (T-72, MRAP and various PCs)

versus

Red: OPFOR style company team (Leo2A5, CV90)

Orange: Irregular style battalion (T-72, T-62, BMP)

Blue and Green attack to clear an area of Orange forces while Red assists Orange in defense. Note that this scenario was edited quite a bit from feedback from last time. Force ratios were slightly adjusted and the map was edited to be more built up and less open desert (more broken wooded areas present).

Naturally if we don't have enough people (need about 16 or so) then we will play something smaller. ;)

ADMIN:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators
Are you going to make the whole plan Volcano?. I mean, we should have only one Co directing both teams.

Nah, was just going to play the role of the National Army commander and was going to follow Blue's lead, so I was only planning on coming up with a Green plan.

Suggestion: since you will be Blue CO, then come up with an idea of how you want Green to support Blue. Right before planning phase at TGIF, just let me know the basics of the Blue plan, and where you want Green to be (like some basic green attack arrows) and I will create a plan for Green to help accomplish that, or let you know of any other suggestions at that time. Then we can split and give our plan to our side.

Sound good? :)

• Moderators

BTW, FWIW I added trees to this map but in hind sight I added too much of the wrong one (meant to add more palms and less of those stick trees), but I will fix that in the next version. It just means the LOS won't be as restricted in many places as intended.

Anyway, its not important enough to screw up everyone's plan at this point but I just thought I would mention that that will improve next time we play it. ;)

• Moderators

9 OCT scenario:

FEBA Madness (M1A1 v Leo2A4) v. 0.56

SUMMARY:

***NEW SCENARIO***

US (Blue): M1A1

Germany (Red): Leopard 2A4

Friendly map updates.

This is a new scenario featuring a tank company on both sides in a meeting engagement where both sides have a goal of attacking and capturing an OBJ in the enemy's rear area. The "twist" is that the desire is to have one person per tank (for as many people that are available), and reinforcements arrive throughout the scenario depending on how well and how far one side advances into the other side's area. Also, since there is one person per tank, if you end up getting your tank killed then don't worry, you can take any spare tank or help others our in external view and as gunner until reinforcements arrive.

As usual, since this is a new scenario there may be some issues to iron out.

Also, the scenario designer has expressed that because the scenario can end at any moment when the objective is taken or when all tanks are eliminated, then it is difficult to determine how short the scenario will be. So, if the scenario is over after 30-40 minutes then it will likely be restarted and run again as a rematch.

ADMIN:

Edited by Volcano

9 OCT scenario:

FEBA Madness (M1A1 v Leo2A4) v. 0.56

Also, the scenario designer has expressed that because the scenario can end at any moment when the objective is taken or when all tanks are eliminated, then it is difficult to determine how short the scenario will be. So, if the scenario is over after 30-40 minutes then it will likely be restarted and run again as a rematch.

Designer here.

To to expand upon what Volcano said, this is a lightweight, action-oriented mission. My intent was to minimize the number of vehicles players had to control, by limiting each force to a maximum of 10 tanks in play, while providing a steady stream of reinforcements which appear when your side is attrited down to 4 vehicles or less. Ideally, each player will have just a single tank to control at any particular time, and maybe even experience some multi-crewing.

Because there are ample reinforcements available, the mission could last for an hour or two. But because of the sudden-death victory conditions and the limited depth of the objective, it's conceivable that an aggressively-led and lucky/well-handled force could win within the first ten minutes (and maybe less). Since the mission has not been tested in competitive play, we don't know how it will play out.

So, if the mission tends to play quickly, we might go for "best out of three" or something like that.

To prospective CO's: due to the action-oriented nature of the mission and randomized spawn locations, detailed plans are probably unnecessary. You will want to spend some time on terrain analysis to identify good battle positions, potential kill-zones, concealed approaches, etc.

I just noticed an error in the briefing for the Red (Germany) side. It says "During the Planning Phase, the initial German force spawns randomly between Phase Line ALPHA and the FEBA."

It should say "During the Planning Phase, the initial German force spawns randomly between Phase Line ZULU and the FEBA."

(It is the US force which spawns between ALPHA and the FEBA.)

Attached is a corrected .sce file.

56e83d279f131_FEBAMadness(M1A1vLeo2A4)v.

FEBA Madness (M1A1 v Leo2A4) v. 0.57.rar

"Because there are ample reinforcements available, the mission could last for an hour or two. But because of the sudden-death victory conditions and the limited depth of the objective, it's conceivable that an aggressively-led and lucky/well-handled force could win within the first ten minutes (and maybe less)."

Well, we now know how that played out: two "just about equal" teams duked it out for about two hours. Excellent fun with a very good scenario. Thx! :luxhello:

"Because there are ample reinforcements available, the mission could last for an hour or two. But because of the sudden-death victory conditions and the limited depth of the objective, it's conceivable that an aggressively-led and lucky/well-handled force could win within the first ten minutes (and maybe less)."

Well, we now know how that played out: two "just about equal" teams duked it out for about two hours. Excellent fun with a very good scenario. Thx! :luxhello:

Thanks, Tango29. I just sent off a report to Volcano, concluding that overall I was was very pleased with how things turned out. I felt bad that Blue was concerned about an ammo mismatch, and duly reported the matter to V. I do want to say again that I think the 3:2 kill ratio was due to the fact that Blue was at a marked disadvantage once player drops reduced them to 5 humans versus our 8. Also, two of our players (you know who you are!) always manage lopsided kill counts. So, 2 "tank aces" on our side, combined with the player numerical disparity, goes a long way toward explaining the kill ratio.

Something else you might want to consider is either increasing the distance the blue/red reinforcements spawn when they've been pushed back to their objective. We (blue) were able to bring in reinforcements pretty quick near the end of the game which prevented red from getting into the objective. So if these reinforcements were a little further back it would have given red a decisive win. Alternatively, maybe giving a delay of a few minutes before they spawn would probably also achieve the same result.

Just a minor suggestion because overall I think the scenario went very well for the first time being run. Now I just have to get out my file and sharpen down a few of my KE rounds to get that extra few mm of RHAe penetration. :)

Something else you might want to consider is either increasing the distance the blue/red reinforcements spawn when they've been pushed back to their objective. We (blue) were able to bring in reinforcements pretty quick near the end of the game which prevented red from getting into the objective. So if these reinforcements were a little further back it would have given red a decisive win. Alternatively, maybe giving a delay of a few minutes before they spawn would probably also achieve the same result.

Yep, I'm making that change right now, along with a few others.

Just a minor suggestion because overall I think the scenario went very well for the first time being run. Now I just have to get out my file and sharpen down a few of my KE rounds to get that extra few mm of RHAe penetration. :)

Thanks. One other good thing about the mission is that it is so simple, we spent maybe 5 minute in the Planning Phase instead of the usual 45.:gun: