TGIF 2015: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators

4 DEC scenario:

Convoy Ops 01-Multiside-3028

SUMMARY:

US (Blue): M1A2, M2A2, Stryker (Piranha IIIC w/RWS), UAV, helicopter support, supply trucks - small sized force

National Army (Green), allied with Blue: T-72, T-62, BMP - medium sized force

versus

OPFOR (Red): Leo AS1, T-55, BTR-80, M113s, lots of infantry and ATGM teams - large size force

Own party map updates for Blue and Green, full map updates for OPFOR (to represent insurgent information)

We played this one several times before, but there was a suggestion to add a 3rd party so this one has been modified accordingly.

The twist is that although Blue and Green are allied, they have different objectives. So, there is no "team win" here - Green is concerned with taking a major bridge crossing and a strategic town on the opposite side of the river, while Blue is concerned with getting the convoy to the exit. Red is simply trying to prevent the convoy from getting to the exit area.

It is possible for Blue to win and for Green to lose, and vice versa, but a symbiotic relationship exists to where they can mutually help each other accomplish their missions (or not, for example if Green attacks to take its objectives and Blue intentionally tries to get the convoy across elsewhere to use Green's attack as a diversion).

NOTE: Blue and Green cannot afford excessive losses, so be very careful with how those forces are used. Red can afford to sacrifice everything they have, but each loss to Green and Blue will make their task more difficult. Also, like before, OPFOR

ADMIN:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Edited by Volcano

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

11 DEC scenario:

Civil War Mykonos-3028

SUMMARY:

Blue: Low tech equipment at start, high tech equipment later.

Red: Same as Blue. Both sides field similar equipment (being a civil war)

We played this one last year (hard to believe its been a year ago!) and it was edited based on feedback, mostly thinned out a bit more IIRC and own map update added.

Its the small island that was Operation Variable 4.Both sides are trying to conquer the other and take the other side's compound area. Mostly low tech equipment involved, but some high tech equipment shows up near the end. This is similar to the other island Civil War (Santa Catalina), only smaller.

ADMIN:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

18 DEC scenario:

Air Assault 02-3025

SUMMARY:

US (Blue): air assault force of helicopters and infantry but can gain light vehicles as reinforcements.

UK (Green): mechanized ground force of Challenger 2s and Warriors.

versus

Soviet (Red): Mixed force of tanks, IFVs, and light infantry, T-72s, BTR-80s, with Leo2A4 and BMP-3 as reinforcements.

Blue and Green must attack and seize a bridge deep in enemy territory, while Red uses initial forces to hold, and receives better reinforcements at the end to counter attack.

ADMIN:

Edited by Volcano

I enjoyed the 18 Dec. scenario. As 3rd plt., air assault infantry, I was tasked with clearing the forests south-west of our objective. I got into SB for the tanks, of course. But the more I play as infantry, the more I like them. When used properly in ambush and recon/FO roles, they can be quite deadly.

Don't get me wrong, I lost my fair share of troops. Maybe more than my fair share. :redface: But I (we) dragged a few red units to hell with me. :gun:

If you avoid playing as infantry, for whatever reason, I recommend trying it out...at least once. There's a certain satisfaction you get from taking out enemy tanks/pcs with nothing but a mg and binoculars. ...And the occasional AT weapon, of course. The key is accurate and timely communication with artillery and AFV commanders. (I used reference points with times of contact, updated as often as possible in terms of time and location, with an occasional radio [teamspeak] report as well.)

There's a reason you shouldn't go near forests/towns with AFVs when you don't have infantry support of your own: If enemy infantry are in there, they will probably make you regret it.

As always, thanks to everyone for an enjoyable mission. :cvcsalut:

Yeah im with you on that Sean, infantry add a lot to this game, although there is certainly 'room for improvement' in the way you have to micromanage them so much. Great Sce today too Volcano as always, i quite liked that the red units had routes to begin with ;) Ill be replaying that mission in single player as green for sure. (if anyone can suggest some other similar single player suitable scenarios id be much obliged)

ZERO

• Moderators

Looking at the calendar, it seems like there will be no TGIF this Friday or next Friday since both Christmas and New Years both happen to fall on Friday this year.

So, we can essentially call 2015 complete. Hard to believe it has gone by so quickly. As before, here is a complete list of all the scenarios played in TGIF. By all means, take these two weeks to discuss which of the scenarios you liked, and which didn't. However if you post that you didn't like a particular scenario then state why you didn't like it, for the sake of being constructive. The end of year discussion helps determine which scenarios will appear in the 2016 list and which may appear more than once.

2015 TGIF list:

TGIF Marine Assault v2

Bridge Crossing Heavy 2013a

!Zollerheim 2012c-OMU

Border Dispute 2013-3025

TF Deutschland 1978-3025

!OBJ PV - MP_3025d

Allied Force MTC 01-3025a

Symmetrical Attack 04-NP-3025a

TGIF Norkistan vs Sorkistan v2-4

Top Mech Company Challenge 01e-HN-3025

Convoy Ops 01-3025b