BILL-2 vs choppers.

Kingtiger

First off I know ATGMs are a bit under-developed at the moment but thought this should be highlighted.

BILL-2 is a top attack weapon with the missile flying 0.7m above LOS and shoots the shaped charges downwards in normal attitude.

During training we were teached to engage enemy choppers that where approaching us or standing still. technique for "soft" targets like that is to aim low so the missile actually hit the target instead of going over it.

So what I should see in SB is a low aim point and an impact with a kill on the chopper.

What Is happening.

Low aimpoint and center mass aimpoint shows the missile going THROUGH the chopper without even detonating.

Aiming on the rotor gives an impact center mass on chopper but no damage, says "OK" every time.

To actually take down the chopper you need to aim 2-3 mils above the rotor. Then you get a kill with shaped charge downwards.

So the issues are two:

1. Missile flies through target without detonating.

2. When aiming for rotor so the missile detonates in center mass of target you do not get a kill.

Attached is a AAR from a small test mission.

/KT

test_01-17-15_19_03_56_rar.01f0050e8b4ed

test_01-17-15_19_03_56.rar

• Members

So would the missile (or the shooter) rely on the remaining kinetic energy of the missile or is it supposed to actually detonate its warhead (using some kind of backup trigger.. but then, if it's oriented downwards, you probaby wouldn't get the required standoff?)?

Good question Retro. When you engage soft target there is a detonation trigger that triggers on contact, so i guess most of the downwards facing shaped charges will detonate downwards and missing it standoff. But on a soft target that hardly matters much.

You got the energy of contact from the missile and 2 shaped charge going of in the same time space. Should be pretty nasty effect on a chopper with a huge missile slaming through it and then having 2 shaped charges detonating with all the heat it creates (you dont really need the standoff on soft targets for a shaped charge to be effective in "soft" enviroment".

/KT

Good question Retro. When you engage soft target there is a detonation trigger that triggers on contact, so i guess most of the downwards facing shaped charges will detonate downwards and missing it standoff. But on a soft target that hardly matters much.

You got the energy of contact from the missile and 2 shaped charge going of in the same time space. Should be pretty nasty effect on a chopper with a huge missile slaming through it and then having 2 shaped charges detonating with all the heat it creates (you dont really need the standoff on soft targets for a shaped charge to be effective in "soft" enviroment".

/KT

Yeah, the HE of the HEAT should do the job. :)

The BILL uses a Proxy fuse right?

Is "Soft mode" activated with a control on the launcher?

Jupp. Just googled it and now there is 3! (or 4) options. I just remember two options, top attack or impact. now there is top attack, lightly armoured (contact detonated) or soft target (top attack against soft target like MG nest or troops).

/KT

So would the missile (or the shooter) rely on the remaining kinetic energy of the missile or is it supposed to actually detonate its warhead (using some kind of backup trigger.. but then, if it's oriented downwards, you probaby wouldn't get the required standoff?)?

From my experience with proxy-fused ammo: they usually have a second/backup fuse system that works on impact. So it should make boom, when it hits something.

Don't know if it realy is the case with the Bill though.

Yeah, the HE of the HEAT should do the job. :)

The BILL uses a Proxy fuse right?

The 40mm does quite a number with only 120g of HE...

Even a small ATGM has over 1kg, and larger ones 3.5kg of HE (in 2-8kg "warheads")... even with a significant fraction focussed in a possibly "wrong" direction, there is plenty of blast left for changing the shape of softskins and aerial targets. Some even have auxiliary frag sleeves for area effect on infantry and other lightly armoured/soft targets not sensitive to blast.

The 40mm does quite a number with only 120g of HE...

Even a small ATGM has over 1kg, and larger ones 3.5kg of HE (in 2-8kg "warheads")... even with a significant fraction focussed in a possibly "wrong" direction, there is plenty of blast left for changing the shape of softskins and aerial targets. Some even have auxiliary frag sleeves for area effect on infantry and other lightly armoured/soft targets not sensitive to blast.

I believe the MPAT is one.

Again, clue is in the name. :)

Multi Purpose Anti Tank.