Scenario idea

RedWardancer

Not ready for a campaign yet. So I have thought about small and manageable scenarios.

Idea #1: NATO vs Boko Haram insurgents in northern Nigeria. Company level action. Blue gets 1 plt M1A2, 1 plt M2A2, support units and a platoon of 3rd Special Forces, one battery of arty and limited airstrikes. Red gets about 2 companies full of insurgents with gun trucks and such.

Mission for Blue: Go in and KILL THEM ALL! Mission for Red: Hold positions and KILL THEM ALL!

What does the SB community think eh? Or has someone beat me to it?

I think we did this in a TGIF a few months back, where Orange was a bunch of dismounts / insurgents and Blue was fairly heavy.

In fact I think there have been a few "African Wars" in the last 6 months on TGIF.

I suspect though you are going to get no one to play Red if "Kill Them All" is the victory criteria and they don't have anything much that will destroy M1A2 SEP.

Or do you just really want Blue to have a nice time shooting up a scripted Red?

I which case I guess it will be popular, if not challenging. :)

Just my $0.02.

• Members
Idea #1: NATO vs Boko Haram insurgents in northern Nigeria. Company level action. Blue gets 1 plt M1A2, 1 plt M2A2, support units and a platoon of 3rd Special Forces, one battery of arty and limited airstrikes. Red gets about 2 companies full of insurgents with gun trucks and such.

Mission for Blue: Go in and KILL THEM ALL! Mission for Red: Hold positions and KILL THEM ALL!

Having heavy tanks in Nigeria would indicate a serious escalation. More likely to see some hodge-podge of African Union equipment. Nigeria itself seems to use the old Austrian "Saurer" personnel carriers (the M113A1 might be an acceptable stand-in), the Piranha (I, II?, LAV-25?), and the Scorpion. 81mm mortars, RPG-7; AKM, G3, FAL. I wouldn't be surprised to see T-55, T-62, BTR, BRDM.

For Red however, I disagree that a "kill 'em all" mission order would be realistic. Inflicting "some" casualties may be both more realistic in ambition, and sufficient to dissuade unpaid and badly supplied government forces to continue their attacks (this could be scripted with embark conditions that are tied to overall force strengths and perceived territorial gains).

Just my few cents from the sidelines. :)

If you want a good record of a similar campaign (albeit CV90 and Leo2) can I suggest watching "Vigiliant Guardian" on YouTube (on Zipuli's playlist):

From memory a Mech Coy sent to the CONGO under UN Chapter 7 "peacekeeping", which then subsequerntly escalates to UN Chapter 8 "peacemaking".

It has a heavy unit clearing routes, etc but constrained by the terrain (this helps offset its combat power and makes it more managable for Red to achieve some success).

Edited by Gibsonm
added YouTube link

I have (had for a while) a single mission in the making, where YOU, as part of African Union UN forces deploy to Wadiya to hunt down ISGW (Islamic State in Greater Wadiya) fighters. The country has been in turmoil since the Arab Spring, when a French lead coalition helped to remove the dictator Aladeen from the throne. In the aftermath, ISGW took advantage of the new power vacuum and has started terrorising in the countryside. Close enough? ;)