Warrior "lase" function clicks

Rotareneg

• Moderators
In the Warrior(ODS), "lasing" makes a snappy little click sound, but does nothing else obvious. What is it doing, besides just clicking?

IIRC, pressing CTRL causes the gunner to toggle between high and low gear manual traverse. So, you toggle between the key taps moving the turret in fine movements to key taps moving the turret in large increments. This same should be true on the Scimitar.

This sounds like something for the SBwiki for the Scimitar page (I notice that the Warrior doesn't have a wiki page)... :shocked:

• Moderators
Yeah, I'm lacking good enough data on the Warrior for a good general description and crew position part without offending anyone's national pride. :) Same reason I haven't done the early Leos either.

No worries, I wasn't trying to drop hits or anything - I really thought we had one already and discovered we didn't. I am surprised one of the Brits haven't made one yet, with all sorts of tid bit information about how the Warrior is the best IFV in the world. ;)

Your efforts in the SBwiki are greatly appreciated! :drink:

• Moderators
The Scimitar doesn't make the clicking sound, and it doesn't seem to effect the traverse speed on either vehicle, at least in 3.023 using the keyboard. Perhaps it only works with the AFV Sim controls?

Right, on the Scimitar it is P key instead. :eek:

I think it has something to do with the fact that the Warrior has powered traverse, so P is palm switch. Obviously this is not very consistent. :(

But anyway, I just checked and at least in the Scimitar it does work (it works as a toggle). Fast manual traverse, slow manual traverse. I didn't try it on the Warrior but last I checked, it worked there too, although sometimes the difference in traverse rates was not that noticeable. It should probably be CTRL key for both vehicles to be consistent.

And you might be right in the assumption that it is mostly something used for the manual traverse controllers...

Is there much difference between Fast and Slow Traverse?

In RL, Yes.

Fast is for major turret moves, Slow for laying the gun.

Course and Fine are probably better ways to describe it but one rotation on the high gearing rotates the turret about 2.5 to 3 times further than one rotation on the low gearing.

Manually traversing 6400mils on the low gearing is a great way to build up muscle strength.

I'll see if my MRV (Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle - a Scorpion turret on top of a M113A1) pam actually details the respective gear ratios.

Scimitar and Scorpion use the same traverse gearbox so the ratios are probably the same, just that the respective turret weights means that traversing a Scimitar is less work than a Scorpion.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

Your doing it wrong if you don't see a difference. The difference is when you get the taps going and watch how fast the turret is moving, of course both rates are the same speed when you are just traversing from stop, the main difference is the full speed rate. ;) The speed difference is there for all speeds, but most noticeable at maximum speed (admittedly not very noticeable in slow traverse, yes, but that is not a bug).

Try this:

Scimitar, gunner position. The turret begins in fast speed/coarse setting. Tap the keys, tap tap tap x100... and watch the turret clock and count the seconds. About 18 seconds to traverse 45 degrees. Now press P (on the Scimitar), hear the clunk, do the same thing. About 40 seconds just to traverse that same 45 degrees.

New mini-game challenge:

How many seconds can you traverse the Scimitar turret manually 360 degrees in both modes?

Your doing it wrong if you don't see a difference. The difference is when you get the taps going and watch how fast the turret is moving, of course both rates are the same speed when you are just traversing from stop, the main difference is the full speed rate. ;) The speed difference is there for all speeds, but most noticeable at maximum speed (admittedly not very noticeable in slow traverse, yes, but that is not a bug).

Try this:

Scimitar, gunner position. The turret begins in fast speed/coarse setting. Tap the keys, tap tap tap x100... and watch the turret clock and count the seconds. About 18 seconds to traverse 45 degrees. Now press P (on the Scimitar), hear the clunk, do the same thing. About 40 seconds just to traverse that same 45 degrees.

New mini-game challenge:

How many seconds can you traverse the Scimitar turret manually 360 degrees in both modes?

With or Without rotary handles?

:)

No worries, I wasn't trying to drop hits or anything - I really thought we had one already and discovered we didn't. I am surprised one of the Brits haven't made one yet, with all sorts of tid bit information about how the Warrior is the best IFV in the world. ;)

Your efforts in the SBwiki are greatly appreciated! :drink:

The basics:

Scimitar/Warrior.

Best AFVs in the world, armed with BV and supply of tea.

Also has tracks, an engine and other stuff, including some kind of gun.

Your turn to brew.

Your doing it wrong if you don't see a difference.

Apparently so. Now there's an obvious difference, don't know why I didn't notice it last night. :c:

New mini-game challenge:

5 seconds in both modes. Oh! You mean without turning the vehicle itself? 1:05.4 in fast, 2:51 in slow.

• Moderators

5 seconds in both modes. Oh! You mean without turning the vehicle itself?

1:05.4 in fast, 2:51 in slow.

Right, it is kind of a moot point when the driver is telepathically connected with the keys; just have him pivot around to aim. The main use for traverse speeds is for rotary handles, and the only time fast traverse is really useful is when your engine is knocked out and you want to traverse a long distance.

One day the driver should have a random delayed response to key presses (on the highest realism setting) to model the real life verbal delay so that you cannot get an immediate reaction (like a one second delay). Wouldn't that be fun? I am sure everyone would love the realistic frustration. ;)

One day the driver should have a random delayed response to key presses (on the highest realism setting) to model the real life verbal delay so that you cannot get an immediate reaction (like a one second delay). Wouldn't that be fun? I am sure everyone would love the realistic frustration. ;)

Played a few fully crewed missions, so I know how that works. :D

Guess the leo-2 drill would be: tc kick gunner then gunner kick driver

Smart solution is to use 2 ropes ;) Tie one to left driver`s shoulderstrap, and another to the right shoulderstrap- now TC have nice and effective tool to control driver without saying a word :) Works fine in BMP...