Winter Offensive

Pop Smoke

New .sce uploaded tonight (title as per thread).

A cold wind blows across the tundra, you will soon be following it!

I think this is a little more challenging than some of my orevious offerings, without being insane.

All feedback welcome.

Scoring for the mission and for shooting added and mission end at completion.

I have tested this about five times, but still may need to alter a thing or two, your patience in this regard is valued!

That's a challenging scenario you've come up with. Certainly a handful for the single player. Would certainly make a good coop with the amount of equipment available. For those adventurous enough to try this one by themselves, just remember to take your time, and arty is your friend. ;) Set aside at least an hour +, and expect to spend the first few minutes of the scenario remounting the infantry.

Cheers Tacbat, it is a tricky one, and requires you to be the general most of the time, but there is lot's of scope for variation in how you approach and secure the objectives/

Certainly your tip of using the artillery is right on the button!

It usually takes me about 2 hrs, but I am a bit cautious.

Remounting the troops is quickest if you do it right off the bat, look at the centre of the position bars for each unit to find the vehicle which is always under the troop symbols, click the troops a time or two and the vehicle shows) double click the vehicle to get control and upload the troops with Shift-U. (Obviously this is just for anyone who is uncertain of how to!)

Played this for the first time last night.

Took about 90 minutes but I was left with very little at the msn end - a lot of letter writting and comendations to be written if it were for real.

For those who enjoy commanding nearly 2 x Sqn Coy gps then this is for you. There is plenty of scope for setting up fire bases and executing flanking attacks. But beware the enemy does not just sit and take it.

Resupply is key but time consuming. A long time ago a submitted a small sce which demonstrated how a resupply should be set up.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/1071

I hate infantry in buildings!!!!! It seems that the AI is absolutly inept at dealing with this and it causes shocking casualty rates. Thankfully I understand this is something that the developers are working on. I am not sure how the en infantry are so keen on staying inside burning buildings!

I would also say that whilst urban environments look great the proximity of buildings to roads and the spacing between buildings can cause merry hell for the AI drivers - again something I belive is being addressed.

All in all a great scenario which if fantastic for the more competent tactically aware single player and I am sure would make a great COOP.

I have been playing with the idea of scripting some of my larger scenarios to make them more playable for the newbies - ie everything is scripted bar the deployment of one Tank Tp. Alas I think I do not have the time. It is difficult to create the immersion when commanding on Tp - just my thoughts.

Good work!!!! :)