recomended pc configuration to run large scale scenarios

ole1291

Hello,

I recently found out about SB to which I was immediately drawn for many reasons.

I have actually already bought the license for it. My old PC however is not up to the task of running it and I'm currently looking to buy a new computer. I intend to spend a lot of time on SB playing large WP scenarios with a lot of units so I'm basically looking at the best PC configuration to run SB at it's most demanding. I'm willing to pay the price (though I'd start to be painful past 1'600 dollars) for that but on the other hand, since I'm really only buying a new PC for this simulation, I don't want to overkill and spend money for hardware whose dvantages the SB engine would not be able to use.

I am currently hesitating between two different configurations, products of a competition in designing the best value PC at tomshardware.com

The cheapest option at 1200 dollars is this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mainstream-enthusiast-pc-build,4023.html

The more expensive one here at 1600 dollars:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-performance-pc-build,4018.html

One of the reasons I am considering the cheaper configuration is because I have read in other posts here that, given the nature of the SB engine, an I7 processor won't be any better than an I5, and I think I recall a similar argument between the GTX 980 and GTX 970 or equivalents...

Any input or recomendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I recommend you focus on processor and Motherboard first. You need a decent MB to shift data fast, and not just buy fast RAM on a cheap MB.

I use I5 and a Z-87 type MB, and with at least 1300MHz RAM speed, you'll get far.

I also recommend at least 3Gb Video RAM for large scale scenarious, I have 6Gb (Titan) but you don't need that for only SB I guess.

• Members

An i5 is sufficient, and a GeForce 780 GTX is fantastic. I'm hearing that the 980 GTX essentially doubles the graphics throughput with the same or less power consumption, which certainly sounds intriguing. But the 780 GTX already is a big step in efficiency over its predecessors, and certainly a very good choice already for SB Pro. More than 4GByte RAM is recommended, but I don't see the need for Steel Beasts to go beyond 8GByte.

That's about it. There are endless options to further improve here and there, but those basic choices should yield a pretty sweet machine.

I've got an AMD FX8120 with a GTX 760 (2gb VRAM), and 12gb of system RAM and it seems to do just fine. In fact, I think I may have more system RAM than I really need for anything at the moment and I should have probably bought a bigger video card.

The wife has been asking for a new computer for a while, so I think she's going to inherit mine and I'm building a new one with an FX8350...

Hello,

I recently found out about SB to which I was immediately drawn for many reasons.

I have actually already bought the license for it. My old PC however is not up to the task of running it and I'm currently looking to buy a new computer. I intend to spend a lot of time on SB playing large WP scenarios with a lot of units so I'm basically looking at the best PC configuration to run SB at it's most demanding. I'm willing to pay the price (though I'd start to be painful past 1'600 dollars) for that but on the other hand, since I'm really only buying a new PC for this simulation, I don't want to overkill and spend money for hardware whose dvantages the SB engine would not be able to use.

I am currently hesitating between two different configurations, products of a competition in designing the best value PC at tomshardware.com

The cheapest option at 1200 dollars is this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mainstream-enthusiast-pc-build,4023.html

The more expensive one here at 1600 dollars:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-performance-pc-build,4018.html

One of the reasons I am considering the cheaper configuration is because I have read in other posts here that, given the nature of the SB engine, an I7 processor won't be any better than an I5, and I think I recall a similar argument between the GTX 980 and GTX 970 or equivalents...

Any input or recomendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I would go for the more expensive option

The one thing I have learned about gaming computers you can never have to much Performance. I have been stung to many times buying machines that on paper could run What I wanted, but in reality they always seem to be Underpowered.

One more thing worth noting Esim are in the process of building a new engine for SB

No details released yet and probably want be for some time.

But if you intend to keep the machine for some time it mite very well be worth spending the Extra money. IMO anyway.

Thank you all for your input.

SSnake, it's my understanding that the GTX 970 is roughly equivalent,or maybe even a little better than the GTX 780 (which is no longer on the market here in Thailand) so I should be alright with it right? or do you think there'll be a noticeable difference with the GTX 980?

Buzpilot, I take note of your recomendations with the motherboard and processor as well, did you mean it as a general recomendation or does it mean you felt the motherboard or processor in the (cheapest I guess) article was underpowered?

Marko, I think you made a good point, especially if they do develop a new engine for SB, do you have any idea of the timeline they are thinking about? On the other hand it's always a risk, buying the more expensive software not knowing for sure that even it would be adequate for a future version of the game.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thank you all for your input.

SSnake, it's my understanding that the GTX 970 is roughly equivalent,or maybe even a little better than the GTX 780 (which is no longer on the market here in Thailand) so I should be alright with it right? or do you think there'll be a noticeable difference with the GTX 980?

Buzpilot, I take note of your recomendations with the motherboard and processor as well, did you mean it as a general recomendation or does it mean you felt the motherboard or processor in the (cheapest I guess) article was underpowered?

Marko, I think you made a good point, especially if they do develop a new engine for SB, do you have any idea of the timeline they are thinking about? On the other hand it's always a risk, buying the more expensive software not knowing for sure that even it would be adequate for a future version of the game.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry ole1291

No idea when it will be released.

Any chance you can define "large scale"?

100+ AFV per side?

Lots of APC (with multiple squads in each)?

Often a smaller amount of vehicles but a large artillery component (say you are in a defensive position and undergo a large artillery barrage before the enemy's assault) can be a bigger demand on a machine's performance, than a lot of vehicles and no artillery.

Map size tends not to be as big a factor.

Any chance you can define "large scale"?

100+ AFV per side?

Lots of APC (with multiple squads in each)?

Often a smaller amount of vehicles but a large artillery component (say you are in a defensive position and undergo a large artillery barrage before the enemy's assault) can be a bigger demand on a machine's performance, than a lot of vehicles and no artillery.

Map size tends not to be as big a factor.

100 AFV per side would be nice if it's possible, and if a certain PC configuration would make it playable I would go for it.

However I would already be happy with less if that's all I can get out of SB, not having played this simulation before I cannot be too specific.

I definately want to be able to use large artillery components, as well as lots of infantry. Part of the reason I bought the sim is to get a better understanding of land warfare generally, as I only get that much from reading books and in my experience I learn something much more quickly when I'm actively engaged in it rather than just passively reading about it.

Artillery seems to be generally underestimated in the west, yet it plays an extremely important role in war and with the new ICM ammunitions now available it is a very efficient AFV killer too provided the intel is there. So I hope to play scenarios that reflect those aspects of warfare.

I guess then I need a really powerful machine, exactly how much is required is what I am trying to find out.

• Members
Ssnake, it's my understanding that the GTX 970 is roughly equivalent,or maybe even a little better than the GTX 780 (which is no longer on the market here in Thailand) so I should be alright with it right?

You'll be allright.

I can but repeat, a quadruple Core i5 is abolutely sufficient for SB Pr to run - now, and in the foreseeable future. Our tests with the new engine so far suggest that no major increase of our hardware recommendations is to be expected. Yes, it'll make terrain rendering more pretty, but also more efficient as well.

Expect it in 2016.

I can but repeat, a quadruple Core i5 is abolutely sufficient for SB Pr to run - now, and in the foreseeable future. Our tests with the new engine so far suggest that no major increase of our hardware recommendations is to be expected. Yes, it'll make terrain rendering more pretty, but also more efficient as well.

Expect it in 2016.

Oh wow, that's practically around the corner and my eyes are still feasting on the current engine. Exciting news!

• Members
Though late/very late 2016 also fits into the usual big (costs $) update "every 18 months or so" routine.

No... version 3.0 is more than a year old already. "Right now" would fit into the "18 months rule", July/August 2015 would match the upper limit of 24 months. We'll be closer to 36 months (hopefully still under it), effectively skipping one regular schedule.

• Members
Will it fully utilize multicore(4+) processors?

Does it matter?

From the end-user's perspective it could be powered by a hamster in a wheelcage, as long as it would perform well.

Also, pardon my random question: does SB have multi-screen support for, say, having a permanent map up?

There's a workaround for that, at least in single player mode. Start a secons instance of SB Pro, and set up a network session with yourself, then assign the "map" window to a CO unit or something that you can park somewhere where it doesn't get involved in combat but rather just "powers" the map screen for you.