Logitech G27 calibration

LeoKnight7

Hello all!

I've seen that quite a few people are using the Logitech G27 steering wheel for tank driving.

I'm fairly new to this and the Logitech calibration application is a bit confusing. Has anybody calibrated a G27 for Steelbeasts? I mean, how would you get a "smooth" acceleration and and an equally smooth brake?

When using the keyboard both acceleration and slowing down is done in "steps" with the buttons. But what about G27's pedals?

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

No idea about the G27 but we have sets of Logitech® MOMO® wheels and pedals for when we want to employ a dedicated driver.

They steer, turn accelerate brake and reverse and that's it.

The buttons on the steering wheel don't work, the gear lever doesn't do anything.

Accelerating with the foot pedal moves you from one arrow to two arrows to three arrows.

Its fine for us as an approximation of a driver's position (most vehicles have pre select automatic gearboxes so you don't need to change gear, etc.).

Unsure if buying/using the G27 would give you any additional functionality because there isn't a lot required.

I'm also unsure why you'd want to fill your desk with "driver stuff" (and use up a USB port) when 90%+ of your time is spent in the fighting compartment, shooting things, etc.

It is this exact thing that I try to figure out:

"Traditionally" you would press the W repeatedly in order to accelerate sequentially, the X to slow down or the S to stop moving entirely.

But when talking pedals things get a bit tricky. I mean you can associate the acceleration pedal with W, but then, as long as the driver keeps his foot on it, the tank will reach maximum speed, without him having to depress his foot further down. On the other hand, one can associate the "pedal up" position with S, but this brings the vehicle to a very abrupt halt, instead of slowly reducing speed.

And what about reverse? How do you associate reverse with the acceleration pedal since the gear stick is practically useless?

Well we didn't "associate" anything.

I just plugged them in.

You want to go faster push down on the accelerator, because on the few instances we use these in Steel Beasts there is a Crew Commander saying "Driver, speed up" or "Driver, slow down", etc. (i.e. the driver is just doing what he is told to do as in RL).

From memory if you press the brake long enough you slow down and then once at 0, that pedal puts it in reverse. So if you are standing still and put your foot on the "brake" and leave it there you'll start to reverse.

The driver needs to put his foot on the relevant pedal to maintain forward speed, or brake, or reverse.

Taking your foot off the pedal just means the vehicle stops.

Buttons, gear stick, etc. - not modeled.

Again this is for the "Momo" though.

I see what you did.

Well, this is the case with G27 as well - more or less!

Except for the fact that I would like to avoid a ...looooong brake leading to reverse! :(

Any possible ways to associate the acceleration pedal with the gears lever? For instance, move the stick forward prior to depressing the pedal, for forward or move it backwards prior to depressing the pedal for moving back... :confused:

Except for the fact that I would like to avoid a ...looooong brake leading to reverse! :(

Well pretty sure taking your foot off the accelerator instantly starts the braking process. Putting you foot on the brake just reduces the braking time still further.

If all else fails and you want some sort of "Emergency halt", hit "s".

Any possible ways to associate the acceleration pedal with the gears lever? For instance, move the stick forward prior to depressing the pedal, for forward or move it backwards prior to depressing the pedal for moving back... :confused:

No idea.

As I say in RL we use the accelerator to accelerate so no need/requirement/wish to link it to a gear selector not in the actual vehicle.

Perhaps ask Logitech's tech spt?

We certainly don't use this setup for Driver training and the driver is rarely the focus of the vehicle's operation.

In Tank, ASLAV and M113AS4 he is always closed down so he can't see much. In the PMV he can see more but again in all those vehicle types he is only there to do what the Commander tells him to do.

The Commander is the focus of such training (did the Crew Commander conduct a good appreciation, give an accurate brief, etc.)?

If The CC skipped the Driver in his briefing then the driver does nothing and then the teaching point comes in about briefing the entire crew.

We aren't using this to test the driver on his technique IPRs (Immediate Panel Reactions - what does this warning light mean and what does he do about it), etc.