Weapons effects

Captain_Colossus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all quite preliminary, I've spent a few hours tweaking the effects and they still look a bit like washed out bitmaps.

I made the tracer and missile images look more vibrant (it looks better in motion):

SS_21_02_20_zpsdffczsf1.jpg

I tried out the M1 on the tank range today. I used the GPS in non thermal mode and was really surprised at how hard it was to follow the flight of the round. Where was the bright red dot?

I remember when firing the 105mm on M60A1s the tracer was almost always visible until the round hit (or went behind, or into the ground in front of) the target. Extremely dry, dusty conditions at Ft. Stewart could sometimes cause enough dust to be kicked up to make it hard to see at first but it would usually clear up enough to see where it hit. I never had this problem in Germany.

I am really looking forward to your update.

Tim

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Certainly not dead, I wanted to make adjustments from the clips that were uploaded.

This is a very tedious and time consuming thing to do, and to be honest, the females in my life don't really want to compete with it.

Keep in mind from your above comment we can't have a different animation for ammunition or fuel trucks and that sort of thing- it's one size fits all, so, I am keeping in mind the adjustments that have to be done to make it look more or less acceptable in every situation.

One of the problems for example is where the large and small hit explosions have the same animations in common- the program just stretches the smaller effect to make it bigger. The stock animation doesn't really show it since it's not terribly detailed to begin- but when I added other things like particles or pieces of debris, or just more detailed effects generally, the stretching really shows- the larger explosions just look more washed out and stretched and choppy. So the constant adjustment is taking a lot of time.

I wanted to produce something which looked like the Saudi M1 tank apparently hit by ATGM within my abilities; the animation system currently is too primitive for that- just a few frames of animation, each frame can only be so many pixels long and wide, much of the animation is recycled for different situations, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...