AFV of the week

12Alfa

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the STRV 103 caused quite a stir in military circles.

Some regarded it as a tank destroyer the Swedish army designated it as a MBT.

I think the British army even ran evaluation tests on it.

And by all accounts liked it. but concluded it was a tank built for defence and lacked Offensive capability's.

The swedes are excellent engineers very innovative

It was way ahead of its time when first produced I believe it can be completely controlled by Just one crew member in a pinch.

Variants

Strv-103 B

After the 80th tank delivered, operations showed the early production model was somewhat underpowered after all the added modifications compared to the prototype. To keep the performances up, a new Caterpillar 553 turbine was adopted. The latter could deliver 490 hp (365 kW) as compared to boeing's 300 hp. The first batch was later called Strv-103A and then upgraded to the "B" standard powerplant.

STRV-103-fedezek-1.jpg.cdf449c5152ba411c

STRV-103-fedezek-1.jpg.cdf449c5152ba411c

Strv-103 C

After 15 years of service it was envisioned an upgrade to keep pace with advances in gunnery in the east. An improved fire control systems was installed, but also a dozer blade for all vehicles (one per platoon before). In 1987-88 the ageing Rolls-Royce diesel was replaced with 290 hp (216 kW) Detroit Diesel, with additional fuel tanks. First-hit capability was much improved by the addition of a new laser rangefinder. Reactive or appliqué armour were studied in the early 1990s but this prospect was never carried out as it was decided to retire the model in favor of the Strv-122 (Leopard 2).

Strv_103c_a.jpg.f67e3e440c892123d5f80895

Strv_103c_a.jpg.f67e3e440c892123d5f80895

Awesome![/quote\

If they had developed along the same line of thought I think we would have a really excellent defensive system. In its day it was hard to spot,hard to hit and in most cases it would have gotten the 1st shot off.

The L7 in it's day would have killed or disabled most eastern AFV's. They seemed to have thought out its design for defence, there by creating a very good system for their needs.

I was very blessed to see a copy in Boventon a few years ago, I was very impressed,it's low signature to me was the key,at above 1000m it would be very hard to see, alone hit.

I think it was meant to be a workaround for tactical mobility.

Sweden then had few roads and lots of streams / lakes.

I believe the general idea was:

- Set up your delay line.

- Force the enemy to deploy.

- Withdraw across the next water feature behind you.

- Force the enemy to conduct a river crossing.

- They then hit the next delay line.

Rinse and repeat.

So it wasn't meant to be an OMAHA beach like assault (of course many came ashore at JUNO, SWORD and GOLD and I think they were used again in the crossing of the Rhine but that's a whole different topic) but an aide to getting away or appearing earlier than expected on a flank.

So "in combat" but not "under fire".

Edited by Gibsonm

Hasn't this already been done in WW2. Many examples sit on the bottom of the ocean. I wonder if this type of system has ever been used in combat to cross river?

Also, I would hate to be the driver:sad2:

The PT-76 has seen combat in Vietnam and other conflicts.

Although its a hell of a lot lighter the STRV