SB on mac system

mazambaan01

Yes it wont work natively under OS X (not just due to no directX but because the operating system is totally different).

However, if you have an intel Mac and a spare copy of Windows XP you can:

1. Install Boot Camp

2. Install Windows XP and Steel Beasts Pro PE on the resulting 2nd partition.

3. Boot the machine into Windows as required and play happily (works fine on my MacBook Pro).

The downside is that you need to shut down the Mac and reboot to use the Windows partition.

Whilst there are products that let you use Windows apps in emulation whilst the Mac is running (Crossover, Parallels, Fusion, etc.) I've found that the performance is poor as is the video support.

You will save yourself at lot of frustration if you go the Boot Camp route.

"Reputed" well great.

I have it installed and it doesn't.

As I said Boot Camp is the Best option (apart from buying a PC just for this).

I haven't tried it myself but everything I've read about Boot Camp on the flight sim forums is very positive.

As I understand it, you've got to have a Mac with an Intel processor and Windows XP with SP 2 installed along with OSX. Apparently it won't work with the standard Mac CPU.

Do some Googling and you should find lots of articles.

It would be great to be able to use a Mac for gaming. For everything else, I've always used Macs and prefer them.

HT

I have it installed and it works fine (under Boot Camp).

To use it you need an Mac with an Intel chip (which by the way has been the Standard Mac CPU for almost two years now).

Then either buy a copy of Windows XP (if you still can - not sure if Vista is the only option these days).

Ideally you should be able to buy an OEM version with some hardware (best would be a firewire hard drive) and that way get a backup solution and the Windows software for much less than buying a standalone retail copy of Windows.

The only downside I've found with Boot Camp so far is the lack of support for an external monitor (so I can't play SB Pro while watching it on a projector).

Happy to take private messages or emails on this if you need help.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Members
On 18.8.2007 at 1:48 AM, Gibsonm said:

Parallels is reputed to give near native performance on the virtual machines, with full hardware support, while still remaining logged into OSX.

"Reputed" well great.

I have it installed and it doesn't.

As I said Boot Camp is the Best option (apart from buying a PC just for this).

That was 2007.

Has the performance of Parallels changed in the last 10 years?

Sure, both Parallels and Crossover are convenient but its still an application running within OS X.

Performance may have improved primarily because the chips, drives, more RAM, etc. in the last 10 years, but Bootcoamp boots the machine up as a native windows box with no intermediate applications / OSs to consume some performance.

Doesn't look like it.

Happy to "lend" you a license for a trial if you like.

You install Parallels / Crossover or run a Bootcamp session.

Download SB 4.019 and install.

Borrow one of my licenses to see how it goes.

If you are happy buy a license, if unhappy you aren't out of pocket.

Where were you three days ago? :D

I bought a one month license, I already owned Crossover. I got it installed an hour ago, in a 64 bit Windows 8 bottle, but it won't launch, probably X-windows stopping it. I can't figure out how to get Crossover to make the environment an X-window environment.

38 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

I bought a one month license, I already owned Crossover. I got it installed an hour ago, in a 64 bit Windows 8 bottle, but it won't launch, probably X-windows stopping it. I can't figure out how to get Crossover to make the environment an X-window environment.

That is unfortunate, I hope it works out! 

I found this result online, I don't know if it will help you any, but one of the comments it to run it in a virtual machine. 

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6336

Good luck!

19 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

Well perhaps if you had updated this thread four days ago ... :)

Have you tried the Bootcamp option? I found it more reliable in the past, compared to 3rd party emulation.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
21 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

Note that CodeMeter ACT (=Steel Beasts time-based) licenses do not work in virtual machines. Workaround: Install the license on the Mac native host, configure it as a license server, and connect the virtual machine to the Mac host via network. I do not know, however, if our time-based licenses can actually be activated on a Mac machine. The logic here was that since Steel Beasts is a Windows application we wouldn't need to support other operating systems. It's different with the CodeMeter USB sticks since they work independently from the operating system.

Not necessaarily, twoconoes had some software (Winclone) that would do this partitioning in a non destructive way.

Also arguably when playing that is what you are focused on. If you want the XX% performance hit from running an intermediate machine in between, up to you.

Its the usual "convenience vs performance" argument (abit like WiFi vs Ethernet), even before you get to the potential show stopper of no codemeter support for a virtual machine.

I have a better showstopper.

I was talking to my lovely wife about buying a Windows system for Bootcamp, and she told me our machines are more than four years old, and she's in the process of replacing them. Which makes this entire exercise temporary at best. Four computer years is equal to twelve dog years, which is equal to...

...well, it's a lot.

On the other hand, it also removes any reasons to hesitate, since a Windows system will be necessary for any future Bootcamp installation, whether on this or any future machine. So I'm going to investigate what one does to purchase a Windows system when one isn't buying a Windows machine.

P.S. I found an old copy of XP in my office. Does anyone know if it will work?

Edited by Jammer Six

You just buy a copy of Windows from either your favourite computer store or the Microsoft web store.

As for XP, yes it will run on the Mac and yes it will run SB, but there are probably a mass of security holes in it so you'll probably need to devote several GBs of your internet allocation for downloads of updates, etc.

Downloading a copy of Windows 10 as we talk.

An interesting side note: the copy of Windows was $130. There's Windows laptops direct from Microsoft for around $500.

If I don't like it, the game was only ten bucks.

The total is still about half of what we're going to spend for each of our real laptops.