Highest top speed of all

gunnyhighway

I am writing a mission and at one point, one of my tracked mechanized platoon has to rush as fast as possible on several kilometers.

What is the best speed available?...I ran a race to compare but I am really not convinced. For a column formation, I know the highest speed is not Assault, Retreat, Scout. It leaves Engage, March, Breach. And I don't know which of those 3 speeds is the fastest when associated with tactics such as none and fire control as hold fire.

Anyone has the experience of the fastest top speed of any vehicle under those route and tactics?

Thank you.

• Members
I am writing a mission and at one point, one of my tracked mechanized platoon has to rush as fast as possible on several kilometers.

What is the best speed available?...I ran a race to compare but I am really not convinced. For a column formation, I know the highest speed is not Assault, Retreat, Scout. It leaves Engage, March, Breach. And I don't know which of those 3 speeds is the fastest when associated with tactics such as none and fire control as hold fire.

What you list are "movement tactics" in Steel Beasts lingo, not "speeds".

The fastest, near surefire way to get your troops where you want is the following combination: Column formation, top speed, assault tactics, maybe combined with Hold Fire orders.

In other words, you have different components that you can combine to achieve the desired effect. You aren't limited to the default settings.

As to why the described combination is the best choice in SB Pro, I'll let you figure that out by yourself. Hint: Chapter eight in the User's Manual (pages 80...89).

Also just be aware that if you adopt Ssnake's suggested configuration and this unit has to move for several kilometres, then it will be ripe for ambushing and if ambushed will not defend itself (because its holding fire).

If this is a group coming forward from a depth location, that maybe fine but if there is a chance they'll be shot at, you may need to adjust the planned movement order.

• Members
Also just be aware that if you adopt Ssnake's suggested configuration and this unit has to move for several kilometres, then it will be ripe for ambushing and if ambushed will not defend itself (because its holding fire).

Nope. Incoming fire immediately negates the Hold Fire order. No computer-controlled unit can be ordered to commit suicide without putting up a fight.

Well thank you for the combination Ssnake.

2 Bradleys got killed instead of disappearing behind cover, as described.

If there is no "Hold Fire" order in "Assault" mode , it seems that one unit slows down to stop and bound over watch the others. Then catches up the group, as another one starts to slow down.

And I finally solved the problem by having them run as fast as possible downhill. Over a certain distance and over a certain speed the enemy AI does not shoot at my vehicles. Now if one of them stops, it is ripe for destruction since the AI was already tracking them but did not shoot.

I don't know if that is realistic, as I would assume that over a certain speed, a tracked vehicle would brake its tracks or become unstable, since their center of gravity seem to be high.

Nope. Incoming fire immediately negates the Hold Fire order. No computer-controlled unit can be ordered to commit suicide without putting up a fight.

Just checked, and in 3.025 tanks don't return fire when set to Hold Fire, they really do just sit there (or drive along) looking sternly at the enemy while being fired on.

• Members
2 Bradleys got killed instead of disappearing behind cover, as described.

What description?

I must be dense, I can't see it anywhere in this thread.

If there is no "Hold Fire" order in "Assault" mode , it seems that one unit slows down to stop and bound over watch the others. Then catches up the group, as another one starts to slow down.

If given the permission to fire, they will occasionally slow down (or, if the fire control system isn't stabilized, even apply a short halt) to fire, then speed up again. That's all that is at work in this case.

And I finally solved the problem by having them run as fast as possible downhill. Over a certain distance and over a certain speed the enemy AI does not shoot at my vehicles. Now if one of them stops, it is ripe for destruction since the AI was already tracking them but did not shoot.

I don't know if that is realistic...

Hard to say what is going on here without looking at that particular element from your scenario in a debugger. We certainly don't have a special "hold fire if enemy is advancing to you at top speed while racing downhill" rule in the behavior of the computer-controlled units or the fire control systems. It could just as well be an intermittently broken line of sight (like some trees), or something else entirely.

I would assume that over a certain speed, a tracked vehicle would brake its tracks or become unstable, since their center of gravity seem to be high.

Maybe one day we'll have a proper physics engine to simulate that. And then we also need proper behavior of computer-controlled units to avoid such dangerous velocities. And then people will send us letters that in certain, specific situations the crews should forget those damned safety rules and just floor the gas pedal. ;)

• Members
instead of "hold fire" couldn't you put them on "Return fire only" as that would then stop the unit's from slowing down to fire immediately.

After checking back with the team, that is now indeed the official solution. Hold fire has been made absolute because it was broken in network sessions to begin with, and since we already had "Return fire" as an option the decision was made to use that as an adequate substitute for the intended behavior of Hold Fire when it was originally implemented.