Gaging Interest in a Monthly Session of SBPE

enigma6584

I'm exploring the possibility, thinking of setting up a regular get-together that could meet every 3-4 weeks and play some hard-core missions in mechanized warfare.

The group would focus on real world tactics for armored warfare at the battalion level and lower. All crewable vehicles used in a variety of scenarios would be used. This means that at one meeting you'd be commanding a British Warrior IFV platoon or maybe a U.S. Bradley platoon and the next meeting you might be commanding a Russian T-72 company. The sky is the limit.

All those interested please post here.

I'm thinking of basing the meeting time around central time in the U.S. from 7-10pm CST. All would be welcome and again, this is just an exploratory post to see if there is any interest. Meeting times would also be subject to consensus of those interested. This would be primarily for people who cannot make the regular Friday night sessions. This time frame would be an alternative to that.

So what is the GMT equivalent of "7-10pm CST"?

Also this is pretty much United Operations' remit so there may already exist a solution. :)

Actually, IIRC, "United Operations" runs on Saturday afternoons for me. That in most cases is not doable for me personally hence why you do not see me there. Unless they've changed the time since I last looked of course.

I just want to see if others here in the community have the same issue and are looking for different times to meet. Personally, I don't think this will happen. I think the Friday night sessions and United Operations on Saturday do cover the majority of the community's needs. But, hey I've got to ask and see if it is possible to put together.

With respect to GMT conversion, we are talking about 0:00 (midnight) to 03:00am GMT.

Understood.

Is was just wondering if say once a month the UO teams could adjust a bit and you could adjust you maybe be able to come up with a solution.

I did run a poll a while ago now that determined that 2000Z or 2100Z on a Saturday was the "least worst" (i.e. a compromise that the largest number of people could attend) solution.

Poll:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=17110

Perhaps the profile/location of members has changed since then but it has been used pretty well as a basis for planning major multi-country events.

Of course that doesn't mean its good for you. ;)

P.S.: It maybe be too late to edit the title but I'm working on the basis of actually "gauging" interest. :)

Understood.

Is was just wondering if say once a month the UO teams could adjust a bit and you could adjust you maybe be able to come up with a solution.

I did run a poll a while ago now that determined that 2000Z or 2100Z on a Saturday was the "least worst" (i.e. a compromise that the largest number of people could attend) solution.

Poll:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=17110

Perhaps the profile/location of members has changed since then but it has been used pretty well as a basis for planning major multi-country events.

Of course that doesn't mean its good for you. ;)

P.S.: It maybe be too late to edit the title but I'm working on the basis of actually "gauging" interest. :)

Currently there is not so much activity on the UO side.

1.: I'm grapping the game-time slot every 2nd week

2.: KT and Paladin, the most active in initiating sessions seem to be busy elswhere lately

US CST is GMT-6 (GMT-5 now during daylight savings time).

Enigma,

Previously, there was a smallish group of SimHQ.com-centric guys that run missions on Monday nights at 7:30 PM your time. I would check the SimHQ TS server to see if they are still congregating. Whether they satisfy your definition of "hardcore," I dunno. I sat in on one of their sessions and it seemed roughly midway between TGIF and United Ops. You might want to touch base with them to see if you can combine efforts.

Currently there is not so much activity on the UO side.

1.: I'm grapping the game-time slot every 2nd week

2.: KT and Paladin, the most active in initiating sessions seem to be busy elswhere lately

Yeah, UO has been on hiatus during the Finland Campaign.

Time to do this dance again.

I'm thinking of basing the meeting time around central time in the U.S. from 7-10pm CST.
With respect to GMT conversion, we are talking about 0:00 (midnight) to 03:00am GMT.

So is it 0000Z - 0300Z or "GMT-5" which for "7-10pm CST" equates to 0200Z - 0500Z? :)

Time to do this dance again.

So is it 0000Z - 0300Z or "GMT-5" which for "7-10pm CST" equates to 0200Z - 0500Z? :)

Well, I'm in US Eastern time zone, which is currently GMT-4. US Central time zone is one hour behind me, or GMT-5. So, 7PM Central Daylight Davings Time = 1900 CDT = 0000 GMT the following day.

Enigma,

Previously, there was a smallish group of SimHQ.com-centric guys that run missions on Monday nights at 7:30 PM your time. I would check the SimHQ TS server to see if they are still congregating. Whether they satisfy your definition of "hardcore," I dunno. I sat in on one of their sessions and it seemed roughly midway between TGIF and United Ops. You might want to touch base with them to see if you can combine efforts.

Ah, that is right. Forgot about that. IIRC though, they weren't too hard-core. And by hard-core I mean try to use proper comms, practice real world tactics etc. I think they were more loose than that. I'm looking to set something up much like United Operations but on a different night.