Can't get Technicals to ENGAGE...!

Kilo60

So I'm working on an updated Thunder Run scenario using Daskal's excellent base but for the life of me can't get any enemy technical to ever attack or drop their troops in the case of the HMG Technical (troops) or attack with the RCL and mortar versions.

I've placed engage waypoints and given dismount troop commands during route if any enemy is seen and /or if unit is under direct fire but the damn things drive harmlessly by and stop and wait to get pulverized while the troops just sit in the bed and get raked by .50 rounds!

Are the technical functional or just eye candy?

If its the latter what's the trick to get them to fight and drop their troops?

Thanks!

On a side note I'm thoroughly impressed with the options in the Mission Editor... Definitely the best mission editor I've ever seen!

The amount of options for randomness is amazing the parameters for spawning random damage etc...

I'm having a blast designing the mission and have completely reworked the map with the help of google earth. The addition of guardrails and overpasses has completely changed the map and the list of new objects is outstanding!!!

The ability to place all kinds of random civilian traffic intermingled with mini busses and trucks containing troops has added a whole new dynamic to the mission. You might see the same vehicle twice, once as a civilian and again transporting troops. Even have civilian vehicles as VBIEDs! Best of all every unit is now random so you will never play the same mission twice. I made it to the airport with minimal damage and next run I lost every single tank!

I remember the days when I'd write campaigns for Jane's FA-18 and had to use a DOS interface to add random dynamic branching elements in the campaign missions. Now its just a simple click!

• Members
Are the technical functional or just eye candy?

At least they are SUPPOSED to be.

Can you delete everything from your scenario that is not pertinent to your description, and then upload it here (or send it to me by email, depending on the file sizes)?

Even when troops are onboard they won't fire.... I did notice with troops embarked the HMG continues to rotate and track my M1 even though it won't fire....

Tried to recreate in a blank mission and only time HMG technical fired on an M1 was after the M1 was destroyed by multiple RPGs....

Are the technicals designed not to fire on undamaged MBT's out of self preservation?

I will upload/ email scenario when I get home later...

As far as I know, the AI won't fire if it thinks it can't penetrate the target, but I'm not sure how that gets calculated. For example, a BRDM-2 with stock ammo will fire on and easily kill a BMP-2, but it won't fire on a T-62 even though it can easily kill one from the side if you aim and hit the lower hull.

Did another test, and a Bradley with the M791 ammo with 60mm of penetration will fire on a BMP-2 but not a T-62 or another Brad even though it can still kill both. With the M919 ammo (100mm penetration) it'll fire on and kill all three.

As far as I know, the AI won't fire if it thinks it can't penetrate the target, but I'm not sure how that gets calculated. For example, a BRDM-2 with stock ammo will fire on and easily kill a BMP-2, but it won't fire on a T-62 even though it can easily kill one from the side if you aim and hit the lower hull.

Did another test, and a Bradley with the M791 ammo with 60mm of penetration will fire on a BMP-2 but not a T-62 or another Brad even though it can still kill both. With the M919 ammo (100mm penetration) it'll fire on and kill all three.

Good info! Thanks!

Too bad the suppress command won't override this behavior.... I'm sure an RCL technical would still fire on a MBT given a favorable situation or out of shear desperation!