T-14 ARMATA new russian tank

kotplus

The Germans and French have agreed to a joint collaboration For a new Tank,

At least ten years before we see it if it ever gets built.

I have not heard about such project? Do you have more information about it?

I like German tanks so much I'd rather hope such project never happens.:c:

No offense to our French friends but mixing concepts and different armies needs in such large projects is always a over expensive "jack of all trades master of nothing" such the pathetic Tiger helicopter.

The Leopard has been an awesome success because it was tailored to the expertise and requirements of the Bundeswehr and not to the needs and wishes of 15 different Armies.

Mega joint projects usually make nobody happy. IMHO:sad2:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not heard about such project? Do you have more information about it?

I like German tanks so much I'd rather hope such project never happens.:c:

No offense to our French friends but mixing concepts and different armies needs in such large projects is always a over expensive "jack of all trades master of nothing" such the pathetic Tiger helicopter.

The Leopard has been an awesome success because it was tailored to the expertise and requirements of the Bundeswehr and not to the needs and wishes of 15 different Armies.

Mega joint projects usually make nobody happy. IMHO:sad2:

There was a post made on this thread about it a few months ago but I cant find it.

More open source:

RUSSIA - PHOTOS EMERGE OF NEW T-14 TANK (APR 28/BBC)

BRITISH BROADCASTING CORP. -- Russia has official unveiled its next-generation main battle tank, reports BBC News.

The Defense Ministry released photos of new military hardware, including the Armata T-14 tank. The photos were taken during a rehearsal for a May 9 military parade celebrating the end of World War II.

The tank has an unmanned turret and a 125-mm smooth-bore cannon that is capable of firing guided missiles and shells. The two-man crew is housed in a reinforced chamber away from the main gun, reported IHS Jane's Defence Weekly.

The photos showed the tanks with their weapons systems covered.

The Armata's speed, maneuverability and computers are said to be vastly superior to the current T-90 main battle tank.

A total of 2,300 T-14s are expected to begin replacing older tanks in 2020.

Some fresh information from interview with deputy chairman of military industry board of Russian Federation, Oleg Bochkarev:

-Pilot batch of new MBTs will consist of 96 vehicles and will be produced in 2016-2019; 3-year contract is already signed.

-State acceptance trials are expected to begin in the second half of 2016.

-Pilot vehicles will be handed over to the troops in advance, before completion of state acceptance trials and formal standardization of the new tank.

-New tank will not be available for export(at least export model is not planned)

-New MBT still have a lot of unresolved issues, and a lot of changes are expected

-New tank have modular design(with some kind of open architecture) to facilitate upgrades.

-Confirmed remote operation capability for the new MBT.

-MBT weight is in 50-tonn range

There is possibility, that traditional alpha-numeric designation will be dropped, and tank will be standartized as "Armata" and not a "T-14".

Tarps are finally removed... So where are sideview cameras!? LWR and APS sensors are quite visible...

Not exactly the way I imagined the turret would look

But still very impressive.

Going to Google for hi res pics will post them if I find any

kotplus said:
MG

Does not looks like an MG to my taste. Too close to main gun(issues with routing of traditional russian non-disintegrating belt and spend cases); IMHO its a kind of shadow thrown by MRS mount.

Volcano said:
Anyone know what kind of ATGMs the IFV carries? 4x ready-to-fire ATGMs would seem quite effective.

AT-14 series:

-9M133M-2(HEAT warhead), 9M133FM(FAE warhead), both with 8000 meters max range probably.

-9M133FM-3(FAE warhead, proximity fuse) with up to 10 km max range.

Missiles presumably can be launched in pairs to increase kill probability.

Have to say the turret looks awkward somehow

And from a layman's point of view there seems to be Some shot traps around the smoke Dischargers.

I am a little disappointed the many artists impressions circling the net looked a hell of a lot Better the real thing from a purely aesthetic point of view

I am sure its a masterpiece of Engineering.

I am a little disappointed the many artists impressions circling the net looked a hell of a lot Better the real thing from a purely aesthetic point of view

I am sure its a masterpiece of Engineering.

I absolutely agree with Marko. Furthermore I saw on the earlier pics that the Armata was planned to have impressive secondary armament: a 30mm auto-cannon on one side of the turret and a 7,62mm chaingun on the other. Obviously they rejected those plans.

I also read that the chainguns main purpose would have been to intercept incoming ATGMs. I think the source on that was not very trustworthy and I am also a complete layman but nonentheless I am wondering wether this would be possible. :confused:

I absolutely agree with Marko. Furthermore I saw on the earlier pics that the Armata was planned to have impressive secondary armament: a 30mm auto-cannon on one side of the turret and a 7,62mm chaingun on the other. Obviously they rejected those plans.

I also read that the chainguns main purpose would have been to intercept incoming ATGMs. I think the source on that was not very trustworthy and I am also a complete layman but nonentheless I am wondering wether this would be possible. :confused:

Thats wasn`t a MBT, but a concept of fire support vehicle(one of many attempts to resurrect assault gun on new tech level).