MRS Update

Shootme4fun

Haven't posted in quite a while. I'm currently in Iraq for my fourth time so bare with me. I was just thinking that it would be great to see, not to mention a challenge, an MRS update available in the game for the M1A1. It would be right up there with reloading as far as strategy goes. Trying to manage your platoon, moving elements back and forth and working as a gunner. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The MRS or Muzzle Reference Sensor allows the gunner to correct for any boresight loss created by recoil, gun tube droop (gravitational pull) or just going cross country over and over. When the gunner on the M1A1 looks through his GPS, lines up the GPS reticle with a crosshair. If the boresight is off, he simply moves the reticle back onto the crosshair and continues firing.

Alas, I too miss the MRS and having it drilled in to you to do updates during engagments at regular intervals makes its absence all the more noticeable, but, as Nils would probably point out, SB Pro isn't really a gunnery simulator but a tactical one with fairly accurate gunnery simulated. Plus adding the MRS just adds another layer of complexity to an already complex sim. Personally I'd like to see boresighting added to the mix but who really waaants to spend 15 minutes borsighting prior to popping some rounds on the gunnery range, eh? I had enough of that in AGTS...:)

• Moderators

I am pretty sure that the MRS update proceedure is "on the list" of eventual military requests if I am not mistaken. If nothing else, I have been known to bug him every now and again about adding it. :)

Not only would it require more effort on the part of the gunner but the most important reason for it is that it would provide an advantage for the vehicles that have MRS sensors over the vehicles that do not. The vehicles without an MRS sensor would/should gradually suffer from gun tube droop (insert funny comment here) and should gradually suffer a loss in accuracy. These vehicles would then have to apply Kentucky Windage in order to hit their targets or, presumably, make manual (and inaccurate) adjustments to their zero.

How about simulating taking your caddilacs off their base and using jewlers screwdrivers to null out drift. (Something a tanker is NOT supposed to do, but if we all waited for maintenance to get to it, we'd never shoot.)

Also how about simulating 50 cal boresight devices and main gun bore sight devices?

DOH! :shocked:

lol!

Have you ever tried to get maintenence down to your tank to null out your emergency mode drift? I actually argued with one mechanic about that, because he said we didn't do our PMCS's to standard. I told him if he wants everything by the book, he will come and null out my E-mode drift for me. He didn't believe me till I pointed it out in the TM. Talk about starting a war. HA!

Seriously, that exactly my point Volcano. If you had to do periodic MRS updates and you would have the advantage over other tanks. Plus, it would be more of a challenge. I guess I do see how it would make it more complex. I guess I will only daydream about it.

• Members

Several points to this.

1. MRS updates are on the list, but in a very simplified way: You click on the MRS button and it fixes itself automatically after a few seconds.
  2. I've never really understood the obsession of youse 'murricans with MRS updates. At master gunner's course in Munster we had one day where a tank shot a full load and then some - 45 rounds in total - and all that had to be done was to compensate .5 mil in elevation after the 11th shot, and that was it.
    I heard that the L55 barrel suffers more from thermal warp, so maybe it's more important there, but the M1 still has the L44 barrel anyway. Maybe it's US manufacturing tolerances for the gun barrels produced there, I don't know.
    If you say it's really important - well, fine, I'm not going to debate that. It's just that on the Leopard 2A4 the first MRS collimators didn't work out because the expansion of the barrel at the muzzle whenever a shot was fired resulted in loosening the loop type clamp, so it was removed fromt the entire fleet for almost 10 years until a new model fixed this. Somehow the absence of the collimator wasn't really missed, so it can't have been a big issue.
  3. None of our customers - except Denmark - has requested the MRS update feature yet, and even for the Danes it's not a top priority issue. They just want to train their crews to check the MRS if and when their shots are missing to create awareness for the feature, that's all.

I have seen crews go through an entire day run at the range without doing a MRS update, but from my own experience I wouldn't go without it. Like I said before, it corrects boresight loss for more than just recoil or gun tube droop. If you are going cross country for long periods of time or you don't have time to boresight, because you are sitting on a screen line for hours or even days, you will thank God you have that MRS. I have sat on a route here in Iraq for almost a week and when I conducted my MRS update, I was more than just .5 mils off. Luckly most of my targets have been within 400m. HA!