3.0 Questions

GreenSmoke

I'm looking to upgrade from 2.6xx to 3.0 but have two questions. I have the following hardware (I can't justify an upgrade right now):

Windows 7 x64 with 12GB RAM

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T @2.6GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 1GB RAM

1. I have very happy with the performance of 2.6xx running at 1920x1200. I would like the many new features of 3.0 but I'm not really concerned about the graphics. If I turn off shadows and maybe some other features is the consensus that my system will handle 3.0 reasonably well?

2. If for some reason 3.0 doesn't work well is there a reasonable way to revert back to 2.6xx? I'm not worried about the potential loss of cash - just that I wouldn't be able to play anymore without a major hassle. I could always backup and restore my hard drive but I'm thinking about the code meter dongle as well.

I really wish I had more time for the sim and would like to join some TGIFs but I just haven't had the time. I used to play online quite a bit with the original version and I miss it. I just had sometime to play over the weekend and I am still amazed at what an amazing simulation 2.6xx is.

Thanks,

Bill

You don't lose your old licenses when you upgrade, so you'll still be able to run 2.6xx just fine.

As far as being able to run 3.0, my laptop with a 2.6 GHz i5-3230M with the integrated Intel GPU runs 3.0 ok with antialiasing and shadows off, but I'm not sure how that compares to your system.

Thanks for the feedback. Rotareneg, if it runs on your laptop with integrated graphics there's a very good chance it'll be just fine on my hardware with shadows turned off. I'll post some feedback as to how it runs on my hardware later this month (hopefully my wife will by it for my birthday :-) ). Hopefully I'll be able to make TGIF sometimes...

• 2 weeks later...

Installing now :-)

Well I'm pretty happy! Everything looks great and it's reasonable at the default settings. I'll probably drop the AA and shadows a notch to get a few more FPS when my head is out of a vehicle. Thanks eSim for all of the hard work!

Edited by GreenSmoke