What makes a Good VU.

Marko

IMO,The Key to a good VU is strong leadership.

Constantly compromising to facilitate a number of different personality's

Will in the long run only lead to the units demise.

The main issue with a Game /sim like SB in order to run a mission in a authentic manner

You need to base your planning on total adherence to the command structure

Example. When a unit members states he does not want to follow a given order by his C/O That's where it all starts to go down hill. (again IOMO,)

In the real military this would rarely happen.

Your thoughts on this topic are welcome.

• Members

You can't force your definition of "fun" on everybody else, or you'll lose your group. From what I observed over the years, the inability to compromise seems to be one of the more important reasons why VUs eventually die after splitting up into sectarian groups first. Even if you put your definition of fun on public display and make the subscription of your ideas a precondition to membership acceptance there's no guarantee that people signing up will bother to read it first, or that they understand the same thing from it, or that they will take it seriously. So there will inevitably be disagreements, and aside from the offered incentive to play as a group you have next to no leverage to make VU members comply.

Good leadership will take all this into consideration.

Just my two cents.

Well , if you are not able to find players with uniform peronalities(how boring ;-) ) you'll always have to compromise.

In my experience, conflict rarely arises from in game issues or disagreement over the tactics in a scenario.

They arise from people having personal issues with each other. If you are good, you may be able to mediate, in the limited extend that tex/voice only coms allow.

For me a good VU is defined by an organization that have a clear concept of what it wants to be and that is able to recruit people that share tha concept and kindly dismisses people that joins the organization pretending to change its charter 100%.

A good VU is developed around a solid central idea that is shared by its members. A clear idea of "Who we are, what we want and how we like it done"

A very strong or authoritative leadership is not desired for several reasons but most important because since this is a hobby, volunteer activity, members enjoy being integrated and being part of the organization. Thus making them feel involved in the VU developement and operations instead just following "orders" from the "Supreme Leader".

A good VU would continue to operate normally regarless the Supreme Leader is on vacation, having exams, or simply offline due RL.

On the other hand a bad VU is the one perosnalized on the personal preferences and wishes of the leader and creator and that changes its concept, ideas, modus operandi just to satisfy the leader wishes and moods.

Such organizations use to have a short lifespan.

IMHO :clin:

A VU were everyone knows what they're doing, sings from the same hymn sheet, and were everyone gets along makes a good VU. Simples.

...also Beer and/or Cake.

I always thought a lack of over controlling asshats, helped quite a bit. Plus a level of maturity and the realization, that none of this is real.

+1

The main issue with a Game /sim like SB in order to run a mission in a authentic manner

You need to base your planning on total adherence to the command structure

Example. When a unit members states he does not want to follow a given order by his C/O That's where it all starts to go down hill. (again IOMO,)

In the real military this would rarely happen.

Just to elaborate a little on my original post

Respect plays an important part in any VU when members do not respect each other

The unit is doomed again (its just my Opinion)

But if you lose the respect of you subordinates its time to quit as C/O

This is basically what happened to the VU I started so that's what I did.

Not wishing to open old wounds I have always lived by the mantra leave the past where it Belongs. I started this post as I have noticed a marked interest in start up VU's which

Is great to see I have long held the view SB is at its best in MP.

So I thought a discussion about same may be of benefit to the community

what makes a good VU/Clan

ill tell you what and its simple .it all starts with the vu leaders they need to be open minded intelligent strong leaders not spineless worms who have hissy fits they need to be inspiring ,positive, owner able peeps if there is more then one vu leader then they need to be on the same page( .I.E direction ) be it here or some were else leadership is the key and of course the beer and wine don't hurt

also throw in tons of fun good battles and laughs =#1

what makes a good VU/Clan

ill tell you what and its simple .it all starts with the vu leaders they need to be open minded intelligent strong leaders not spineless worms who have hissy fits they need to be inspiring ,positive, owner able peeps if there is more then one vu leader then they need to be on the same page( .I.E direction ) be it here or some were else leadership is the key and of course the beer and wine don't hurt

also throw in tons of fun good battles and laughs =#1

Well said.

Its important that leader of a vu not abuse his power to target a member his own vu just because he has personal differences with the member.

Leader must rise above such primitive thinking.