Challenger 2 Commanders peri

wilso845

Hi all,

Was wondering if there was a reason that the CR2 doesn't have thermal system on the commanders peri?

The commander peri should have the following:

Range

Thermal

The commander and gunner work as a hunter killer where he can scan and designate targets while the gunner engages or scans his arcs.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23236.aspx

also this goes for the scimitar and warrior that both have thermal gunners and commander using the BGTI ( Battle Group Thermal Imager)

Edited by wilso845
added link

• Moderators

Lack of money I suppose? :confused:

Oh wait, you are saying why doesn't it have it in SB? AFAIK, when the CR2 is described as having a thermal sight for the commander, it is talking about the GPSE, which it has in thermal in SB. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the periscope is just a day sight in real life.

Edited by Volcano
typo

No the commanders persi is thermal, day and range: click on the british army link i posted.

"Challenger 2's thermal observation and gunnery displays a magnified image for the commander and gunner. The commander has a gyro-stabilised fully panoramic sight with laser range finder and thermal imager" Extracted from link.

• Moderators

Well, all I can say is that we got our information from some people "in the know". So either it really doesn't have thermal on the commander peri or they will need to provide us more information about it.

Also, that text you posted does not necessarily mean it has a thermal panoramic sight. Depending on how you read it, it could mean that the commander has a gyro-stabilised fully panormatic sight which has an LRF and he has a thermal imager. Which he does have all of these things in SB. The wording is ambiguous at the very least.

Maybe a real Challenger 2 tank crewman can answer this. ;)

• Moderators
Wilso845 - as far as I know, is / is been Challenger 2 crewman in real life. So he speaks from experience.

Really? It would be helpful if he said this himself in his posts about the subject. AFAICT, it just looked like: "I found this link on the Internet, so why doesn't it have thermals?" ;)

BTW:

...also this goes for the scimitar and warrior that both have thermal gunners and commander using the BGTI ( Battle Group Thermal Imager)

I must of missed this one earlier. The reason is simple: we modeled the pre-BGTI Warrior and Scimitar not the least because...

A) The MoD hasn't (yet) been seriously interested in SB.

and

B) British vehicles are (apparently) top secret and it is difficult to get exact BGTI related information about gun sights and how they operate. Pre-BGTI versions were easier to find information on.

To be honest It dosn't have to be accurate to the spec of the sight system, but but for the platform to have more use than make it seem like an old Cold War relic would be useful.

In all my time served I never under stood the entire secret behind the platform, as we took them to shows and open days where the gen public could sit inside.

Now that I don't serve I have been using they steel beasts a lot more as I was foolish in the early days to buy VBS 2.:mad3:

Didnt want to announce my former job as it might have seemed impertannat

Hi guys,

ok, next saturday PzBtl911(v) will visit the british army in Camp Fallingbostel (Oerbke). The Royal Scots Dragon Guards, the Highlanders (4th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland), the 2nd Close Support Battalion (The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers REME) will open their barracks for a public day.

I hope there will be a Challenger 2, if yes, my wife will make thousands of pictures. So wait till sunday than maybe I can give the right answer with a picture proof.

Programm of the Farewell weekend:

http://www.badfallingbostel.de/magazin/artikel.php?artikel=247&type=2&menuid=375&topmenu=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=13870&stc=1&d=1431421237

cheers

D u k e

Programm_Flyer.png.dc5ecb11ef509c457d3c0

Programm_Flyer.png.dc5ecb11ef509c457d3c0

You may find the shield closed and a strategic cover ( shroud) placed over the commanders display but I will say the best of british to you.

As for Scot dragoons they are no longer a MBT regiment as they have reroled like many other tank regiments.

All that remain now are The Queens Royal Hussars, The Kings Royal Hussars and the Royal Tank Regiment.

I will look out my own information and sources from regiment and my old course notes............hmmmmm looks like I will be stuck in the attic for a while.

Didn't mean for this to cause a big stir.

well, if it's wrong, it needs to be changed.

but some harder evidence would be nice to have.

here's what i managed to scoop up from google

1alrQIj.jpg

on the left is the TC sight from the challenger 2E, which is a combined day/thermal imager.

the head has a fairly distinct more square shape with 3 bolts on either side of the sight,

on the right is a regular challenger 2, the commanders sight has only 2 bolts on either side of the sight, and the "padding" on either side is not as thick.

and some further info:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/challenger2/

http://morozovkmdb.com/eng/body/t72msavan15.php

as for germanium lens, some tanks use a combined head mirror for both thermal and daysight. for example the pano sight on the leopard 2A5 and gunners sight for CV90:

022.jpg

it's hard to tell that this is actually a thermal sight.

MVS-580 seems to have a combined head mirror as well.

Edited by dejawolf

Spent my entire(extended) lunch break to research this.

Jane's Armoured vehilces and Jane's optical systems (2014) state that the cdr sight has the option to inject the thermal image of the TOGS II. in addition to that and observation monitor to view(again the TOGS II) thermal image is included in the commanders position...as well as the gunners.

cdr peri is stated to include a SAGEM day sight and a LRF.(Do we have a TC LRF in steelbeasts?)

None of the usual culprits (Thales, BAE, SAGEM, Elbit and so on...) have an CR2 contract in their reference section.

So based on findings of the public and semi public domain, there is a Thermal sigh-"extension", but all input comes from the TOGS II.

So no indipendent TIS for the commander in any reference.

Spent my entire(extended) lunch break to research this.

Jane's Armoured vehilces and Jane's optical systems (2014) state that the cdr sight has the option to inject the thermal image of the TOGS II. in addition to that and observation monitor to view(again the TOGS II) thermal image is included in the commanders position...as well as the gunners.

cdr peri is stated to include a SAGEM day sight and a LRF.(Do we have a TC LRF in steelbeasts?)

None of the usual culprits (Thales, BAE, SAGEM, Elbit and so on...) have an CR2 contract in their reference section.

So based on findings of the public and semi public domain, there is a Thermal sigh-"extension", but all input comes from the TOGS II.

So no indipendent TIS for the commander in any reference.

Which is the way I understand it to be, and yes we have a LRF in the commanders sight.

I think that's where my issue lies as I can't get it work on commanders sight, may have to unplug my controller and default the keys.

Have dig a bit into the CR2 control too, tanks in general are not my favourites.

"F2" will give you access to the TOGS sight extension.

(and there is a way to take control as TC, that I have not figured out yet)

Also the standart lase button will fire the LRF if you have control over the primary sight or when you use the peri as TC.