Helping eSim with resources for modelling vehicles?

JustSomeGuy

I was wandering if the SB community could be of any help to eSim when they're up to include a new vehicle or variant in SB -- regardless of whether it's ought to be crewable or not?

For example, I, living in ČR, could go to Lešany or Rokytnice museum and grab dozens of photos of details of T-55AM2 and various other ex-ČSLA (non-monkey) pieces, which might help eSim modelling armor or FCS or whatever.

I also happen to have various non-generic photos of T-72M4 TURMS-T including various details interior and even photos of the Czech EppSv-97 round including photo of the rod itself, out of sabot, and cutaway photo the BBD applique armor of T-55AM2.

And I guess for example Ukrainian or Russian SB players could do the same with variants of T-64/80/72/90.

So I was just wandering whether this could be of any help to eSim, or whether they prefer to get their own resources using other means when modelling new AFVs or variants?

• Members

Traveling around Europe isn't such a big issue for us. Driving from Vienna to Lešany (since you brought up this example) could be done as a day trip. Where you (the Steel Beasts community in general) could help, in principle, is facilitating visits that allow us to inspect a vehicle from the inside, including taking measurements, for two days per vehicle (and maybe add a day for sound recordings, to the extent that the vehicle is a runner) ... if you have suitable contacts that can make it happen.

That said, if we were to be flooded by offers in the next weeks we'd have to decline them, simply because our schedule is pretty much packed for the next twelve months. Going to a place, photographing everything, and then storing the gigabytes "for slow days" might be sufficient to create the 3D models. It's still just a second best option because the programmers like to have a hands-on experience to remember when creating the functional model of the fire control system (and to integrate the 3D model). If the time between visit and actually doing it

That process simply takes time. We can't add more than maybe two or three vehicles per year. Besides, adding more T-55 variants is of limited value. We also need to take care of the simulation engine itself, and we are somewhat dependent on customization contracts that help us with the necessay cash flow. Every vehicle that we add purely for the Personal Edition - and we do - is development money lost on customization contracts.

I'd love to add a playable T-64B to SB Pro, for example - for obvious reasons. But from the perspective of play balance in future multiplayer sessions, crew positions inside the BMP-1 and BMP-2 might be even more desirable to complement the already existing T-55, T-62, and T-72 vehicles.

Getting the Czech army interested in Steel Beasts would of course be optimal for a number of reasons - we already have "a" TURMS implementation in the Centauro, so adapting it to the Czech T-72M4 could be really cheap (and might give us access to the real vehicle without much limitation).

So - yes, facilitating visits, if you know someone who knows someone - that could be really helpful, just bear in mind that our capacity to handle such offers is limited to maybe two or three visits a year.