Artillery Fire Mission Duration

G241

Despite the apparent ability to call artillery fire missions for specified duration with variable rates of fire, I can only get any mission to fire for 2 minutes. Is this intended or am doing something wrong ?

Unsure about the exploit part, but yes 2mins is the limit.

"In Game" you need to repeat if you want it longer.

In the Editor you need to set it up to fire if a condition is satisfied / event is true if you want it to fire longer.

Or plot numerous missions with slightly offset firing times (mission 1 fires for 2 minutes from say H to H+2, then mission 2 in the same place fires for 2 minutes from H+2 to H+4, etc.).

In the editor you can automate this partially by choosing how often you want it to "repeat" (once or twice from memory).

Edited by Gibsonm

Thank you all .. I would be interested in the exploitation as I thought the ability to fire timed fire missions as apparent from the fire mission dialogue box is an excellent development to fire planning for sub unit and greater operations.

Mark ... thank you I use all those work arounds ...

Hopefully someone with a better memory can explain it in a bit more detail.

I think the issue was you could effectively deny parts of the map by having continuous missions, esp. if you had interlocking missions too.

Think along the lines of the Somme prep fires or the opening barrage at El Alamein.

Yes understand the problem if you cannot specify the total rounds of artillery available for the scenario. I wonder if there is is a relatively easy fix to the issue. I know we are probably stretching the simulation beyond that for which it was designed but the ability to provide 10 minutes of low rate Smoke / HE as neutralising covering fire for a move or breach or say 4 minutes of fire to support an assault just short of an objective would bring (without the work arounds) would make SB Pro PE a more versatile combined arms simulation.

From the 3.025 release notes:

The "rounds per tube" for off-map artillery is now limited to 8.

The "rounds per tube per minute" (fire rate) for off-map artillery is now limited to 4

The maximum duration for off-map artillery strikes is now limited to 2 min at maximum rate of fire.

Longer durations require a reduction in the ROF