Thinking of getting this

Skjold

Hello, i was thinking of getting into this simulator and i figured i'd ask some questions to clarify some things before i decide. I play other (flight) sims such as DCS but new to a ground based simulator.

1. Is the $115 for a new license a one time cost? I know that the license itself is eternal but there is also a "upgrade license" item which made me wonder if there would be additional costs in the future?

2. http://www.steelbeasts.com/Features <- Is this a complete list of fully playable and semi-playable vehicles? I think i've seen vehicles used in YouTube videos that isnt on this list. Hence why iam curious about this.

3. Is there an active multiplayer community in this?

Cheers, Skjold.

Hello, i was thinking of getting into this simulator and i figured i'd ask some questions to clarify some things before i decide. I play other (flight) sims such as DCS but new to a ground based simulator.

Hi,

1. Is the $115 for a new license a one time cost? I know that the license itself is eternal but there is also a "upgrade license" item which made me wonder if there would be additional costs in the future?

The $115 gets you the permanent license and allows you to play the version you bought "for ever" (or until your USB key dies).

There are periodic patches and minor upgrades (they always tend to be bigger than "minor" implies) that are free.

Every 18 moths to 2 years or so there are bigger upgrades that do cost around US$40.

So its not an annual subscription and if you buy 3.025 now and want to stick with it you can still be playing 3.025 in 50 years (subject to how computers change) for only the initial US$115.

2. http://www.steelbeasts.com/Features <- Is this a complete list of fully playable and semi-playable vehicles? I think i've seen vehicles used in YouTube videos that isnt on this list. Hence why iam curious about this.

I think this is about 90% right, can't recall off hand.

Is there a specific vehicle you want to use (or one you saw in the videos) and maybe we can tell you if its playable or not?

3. Is there an active multiplayer community in this?

Yes but its a scheduled community - there is no 24/7/365 active server construct.

Unfortunately you just missed a fairly large event with 20 or so players playing for over 10 hours in a European friendly time slot.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=21869

There are "Virtual Units" scattered around the globe playing at suitable times for them (most meet once a week) and then there are frequent open to all activities such as the one detailed above or say Thank God Its Friday (TGIF - which happens weekly on a US Friday night time slot).

Cheers, Skjold.

You're welcome.

Edited by Gibsonm

Every 18 moths to 2 years or so there are bigger upgrades that do cost around US$40.

Thanks for the good and quick answers Gibsonm!

How long ago was the most recent "big upgrade"?

Regarding the vehicles, i was mostly curious about Warsaw Pact stuff other then the the T-72M1 since i already know alot of western stuff will be in the game for obvious reasons. Any other soviet MBT then the T-72M1? Any other Soviet APC/IFV then the BTR-80?

Thanks for the good and quick answers Gibsonm!

How long ago was the most recent "big upgrade"?

I think towards the end of 2014 (September?).

3.025 is a patch to that.

Regarding the vehicles, i was mostly curious about Warsaw Pact stuff other then the the T-72M1 since i already know alot of western stuff will be in the game for obvious reasons. Any other soviet MBT then the T-72M1? Any other Soviet APC/IFV then the BTR-80?

Well the T-62 and T-72M (as opposed to the T-72M1) are playable.

In the non playable you have PT-76, T-55A, T-64A, T-64B, T-72B (early), T-72B, T-72M4, T-80, T-90, BRDM-2, BRDM-2 (AT), BTR-50PK, BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3, BMD, BMP-Amb, MT-LB, MT-LB FO, MT-LB Eng, 2S1, 2S3, BM-21, PRP-3, MT-55, Ural Trucks, ZSU 23/4, 2S6 and Mi-24.

I might have missed one or two.

"Non playable" means you can script it to do things and control it from the 3rd person view, but you can't sit inside and say use the gunner's controls.

Edited by Gibsonm

I think towards the end of 2014 (September?).

3.025 is a patch to that.

Well the T-62 and T-72M (as opposed to the T-72M1) are playable.

In the non playable you have PT-76, T-55A, T-64A, T-64B, T-72B (early), T-72B, T-72M4, T-80, T-90, BRDM-2, BRDM-2 (AT), BTR-50PK, BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3, BMD, BMP-Amb, MT-LB, MT-LB FO, MT-LB Eng, 2S1, 2S3, BM-21, PRP-3, MT-55, Ural Trucks, ZSU 23/4, 2S3 and Mi-24.

I might have missed one or two.

"Non playable" means you can script it to do things and control it from the 3rd person view, but you can't sit inside and say use the gunner's controls.

The BRDM_2 is payable but the AT version isn't

Once again, thank you for the replies. I got a couple more questions.

1. Is joystick the best way to control the vehicles or is it viable to do so with keyboard and mouse? Joystick isn't really a problem as i have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for DCS but just curious.

2. Is it possible to gift time based licenses? I would like to try get a friend or two into this as well, and would like to gift a time based license but not sure if thats even possible.

1. Depends how you play.

Either can be effective but different people have different preferences regarding control, precision, etc.

I have a joystick for the home desktop, but am also happy using a mouse because I'm often in a foreign classroom, using whatever is available.

Others swear by the HOTAS type systems.

2. Yes. :) You just send them the licencing email.

• Members

I don't have anything to add here except maybe to point out that not only you can gift time-based licenses, you can also purchase a secondary license that your friend can use while you two have a network connection. It's very easy to set up in a LAN; you may have to fiddle a bit more with router settings to make it work over a distance. I'm just mentioning it here because at $25.- it's cheaper than inviting three friends with a one-month license each (but you have the hassle of router configuration).

Another option is to pick up a temporary license for a month and give it a whirl. If this sim is something you enjoy, then you might consider one of the temporary licenses or the permanent license, depending on what you think is best for you. The benefit to picking up the temporary license before getting the permanent is that you don't have to wait for the dongle to begin playing. Although, if you pick the permanent version, Ssnake may be kind enough to get you a temp license while you wait for the dongle, depending on how busy things are.

Either way, if you enjoy ground AFV ground sims, this is hands down the best out there by a long shot. In my humble opinion of course. Sure, other's are prettier, but they do not have near the scope of versatility and accuracy to real life situations over such a broad encompassing range of scenarios. Considering the huge, pliable maps one has access to, the graphics are nothing to sneeze at. Which is another benefit, you will have access to the map and scenario editors. Anyway, I could go on for quite some time, but this post grows long. I hope you enjoy this sim and welcome you to our community.

Although, if you pick the permanent version, Ssnake may be kind enough to get you a temp license while you wait for the dongle, depending on how busy things are.

Actually as of February this year, that is now the norm:

Posted by Ssnake on Feb 18th, 2015 in Announcements

From today on, eSim Games provides customers of the Personal Edition who ordered a classic license with a CodeMeter USB stick a complimentary time-based license that can be activated first to bridge the shipping time until the CodeMeter stick arrives by mail. This is provided at no extra cost, and gets automatically added to your cart when ordering a classic license.

Download SB Pro PE immediately from our website. After installing it, activate the first half of the license ticket and choose to bind the time-based license to your virtual CodeMeter container (“CmACT”).

After the stick arrives by mail, visit the license ticket a second time and activate the permanent license; this time, choose the CodeMeter USB stick for the license binding.