BMP1 Experiences?

LtGeorge

This is a call out to those who may have had experience with the BMP1 (Finnish members, I'm looking in your direction :) ). Questions are:

1. How effective is the rocket launcher/main gun? Some literature says it worked ok, others said it wasn't effective. Was it a real consideration for an engagement?

2. How effective was the original AT-3 missile? Again, some literature was very negative on it, but I suspect that was the original joystick version and that the model in the game is an improved derivative?

I'm working on a mission with 1970s equipment in Angola, which is pushing the edge on SB's time period (T-55 please!!!). The BMP1 is easy to mark beyond 1k, but thrashes the Leo AS1 once its main gun comes into play. Many thanks in advance.

• Moderators

BTW, I am also working on some scnearios that require a T55. What I found is that if you give them the T72 with damaged LRF, ballistic computer, stabilization and no smoke grenades then it works "ok" until we actually have one. Also, you should probably give the opposing side better KE ammo to represent the fact that the T72 has more armor than the T55 has. Anyway, just a suggestion.

I think the PG-9 grenade is strongly affected by winds, being turned into the wind and having a complex cross wind compensation as a result...

If the wind is light, the round deviates up-wind, but it will still drift downwind if the wind is very strong.

All this is done by manual compensation.

What are you using as stand in for the SADF force AFV's (Olifante, Ratels, Rooikatte - not sure the Rooikat featured there though?) I may be misunderstanding - naturally I think of Angola in the 70's as South Africa vs Angola. What else could it be though? :)

What are you using as stand in for the SADF force AFV's (Olifante, Ratels, Rooikatte - not sure the Rooikat featured there though?) I may be misunderstanding - naturally I think of Angola in the 70's as South Africa vs Angola. What else could it be though? :)

Light armor, basically. SB has to really stretch to go back to the 1970s, and even more so to go 3rd world in the 1970s. So, it's basically become an excuse to match up M113s and Leo AS1s against BMP1s and dumbed-out T-72s in a shrub area. The Bushmaster actually fits in pretty well, though.

My research indicates a lot of old Soviet stuff pawned off to the MPLA in Angola, with some nicer stuff through Cuba. But we're still talking T-55s, old BTRs, even some T-34s - I think a BMP would have been rare, and certainly not a BMP2.

I read about the cross-wind problems with the rocket launcher on the BMP-1, so I was wanting to confirm that. The BMP-1 really bangs up the Leo AS1 fast if they get close enough, so I was hunting for an excuse to dumb it down.

The SPG-9 loses a lot of accuracy if the GPS and ballistic computer are marked damaged. I just tested an assault by blind Leo1 vs a platoon of BMP1, and they fired a total of over 70 rounds for 4 kills.

This doesn't affect their ATGM, but that might be a bug ;)

In fact the missile also failed to honour the 1000m fire control setting and let rip at 2km..

You might want to consider limiting the number of reloads carried if the ATGM unbalance the scn too much, especially as AI tanks don't use smoke, cover or manouver evasion against missiles, and reloading requires the turret crew to not fire the gun and expose himself on the turret roof..

Personally I would cripple the FCS and remove at least half of the reloads, if not all of them.

• Members
The SPG-9 loses a lot of accuracy if the GPS and ballistic computer are marked damaged. ...

This doesn't affect their ATGM, but that might be a bug ;)

Actually, it's not. The missile is with MCLOS guidance and hence completely independent of the ballistic computer.

In fact the missile also failed to honour the 1000m fire control setting and let rip at 2km..

Sagger needs more than 1000m to have a chance for precise hits. That's the disadvantage of MCLOS guidance.

Perhaps they should have honoured their ROE then and foregone the ATGM shots?

And I'm fine with 'completely independant of the BC' but don't you need the magnification and collimation of the GPS for accurate tracking?

Unless you dismount the missile and use the ground mount.

I would think the AT-3 would be yo-yo'ing all over if it was to be a MLOS. But usually I don't see the BMP-1 firing its missile within 1km - usually it already fired its ready round and either isn't getting the chance to reload it or is using its main gun.

The BMP1 main gun wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't a sharp little HEAT warhead in the front of it. I wonder if they ever made a HE version, since I'd think the rocket would be much more effective against urban obstacles than against vehicle targets.

Yes I think the HE round was actually developed, and given the infantry support emphasis of all Soviet armour I think it formed a significant proportion of the loadout.

As tanks used roughly half their storage for HE it would seem likely/possible that the BMP would carry substancial stocks as well.

Recent Russian technology seems to be concentrated on the anti-armour role, but the existing HE rounds are still adequate for their purpose, including massed light direct fire artillery.

Actually, it's not. The missile is with MCLOS guidance and hence completely independent of the ballistic computer.

Sagger needs more than 1000m to have a chance for precise hits. That's the disadvantage of MCLOS guidance.

Can you imagine the early days controlling one of those little missiles over a ridgeline with a tiny metal joystick?!! Look how far we've come!