The perfect controller for SB!

Rotareneg

Nah. For most vehicles (all?) you only need one button for main/coax. Red one should be "fire", grey for lasing. The big grey one for popping smoke or engage tactics. I'd probably make the three to the right of the stick for ammo. The wheel for manual range selection (in the T-72, at least). Maybe 12, 14 & 16 for fire control modes. ...The rest I'd have to think about. :biggrin:

EDIT: Ooh...the pink ones for formations. And maybe switch what I said about fire modes and ammo.

Dear Diary,

Today I learned that "farming simulators" exist. Yes diary, simulators where you can go drive around and plant trees and farm corn... Furthermore, dear diary the market for these games exceeds that for Tank sims, so much so that they have their own dedicated control panels...

This is possibly the saddest thing I've seen. :c:

Dear Diary,

Today I learned that "farming simulators" exist. Yes diary, simulators where you can go drive around and plant trees and farm corn... Furthermore, dear diary the market for these games exceeds that for Tank sims, so much so that they have their own dedicated control panels...

This is possibly the saddest thing I've seen. :c:

My personal favourite is goat simulator.(just why)

Obviously I am biased, but I could never understand why armoured sims and milsims in General have declined in sales since there hay day in the late eighties and ninety's.

And games like candy crush sell by the million. each too there own I suppose.

• Members
I could never understand why armoured sims and milsims in General have declined in sales since there hay day in the late eighties and ninety's.

They largely address the exact same demographic. Back in the 1980s that demographic was also largely identical with home PC users. Plus, there was a lack of PC game titles in general before 1991. So it was less difficult to dominate the entire market with a title that sold 500,000 copies - not that this was a small accomplishment. Still, the games market in general has grown by a factor 10,000 or more while the number of people attracted to simulation games has remained more or less constant, and thus was marginalized in the process.

ANother factor is that there aren't enough "sim lite" titles that are game enough to draw in new user groups; World of Tanks maybe being the notable exception. When Falcon 3.0 made its debut there were Falcon F16 simulation games for the Amiga, the Atari, there was Strike Commander, etc.; these were "lite" simulations that didn't require the study of a 300+ pages manual, so they were more approachable to beginners. Plus, their game elements were more prominent, be it that they told a story, let you allow to manage personnel, etc.

As the games market in general grew, the demand for game programmers drew the talent from a relatively small pool of experienced people. As a consequence, people began to dominate the simulation game development that did neither have the experience nor the manpower and/or financial backing to add a stron "game" element to their titles. Rather, they concentrated on the parts that arguably are easier to accomplish - eye candy, radar modes and switchology (in short, taking the user's manual and turning it into a procedural trainer) - also better flight models, and maybe as a distant fourth, better AI.

Game content, cut scenes, storylines?

Too expensive, too complicated, and the entrenched expert gamers didn't demand it.

Mouse and keyboard, gents. It's the most effective.

I respectfully disagree. I think it depends on what you're used to. Personally, I do quite well with a joystick and keyboard. It has the benefit of not having to pick it up and 'reset' its position when using any view other than a gun sight (F8, commander unbuttoned, etc.). And, I think there's a reason that no actual tank is controlled with a mouse. (Well, not yet, anyway. :))

Don't get me wrong, the mouse/keyboard combo is just as effective when used by someone who's proficient with it. And the non-sight views can actually be panned more quickly with the mouse. But, since the mouse and a joystick can work together, I often switch between the two while playing. However, most of the time I use the stick, and always for gunning.

YMMV. ;)

Mouse and keyboard, gents. It's the most effective.

Fight the enemy, not the interface.

And every time you need something more than a basic function you have to look down and peck at the keyboard. Whereas with a good HOTAS setup you VERY RARELY have to take your eyes off the screen and muscle memory helps you select the right button/slider/hat switch without thinking - just as in touch typing. There is no 'fight' involved. :)

Obviously I am biased, but I could never understand why armoured sims and milsims in General have declined in sales since there hay day in the late eighties and ninety's.

Hey now, I am a proud owner of Goat Simulator! It was pretty fun to play a rampaging farm animal. But the fact there is enough of a market for a set of peripherals for Tractor sim just boggles my mind.

Hey now, I am a proud owner of Goat Simulator! It was pretty fun to play a rampaging farm animal. But the fact there is enough of a market for a set of peripherals for Tractor sim just boggles my mind.

As I said too each his own. LoL

Funny thing is the farming simulator sim has just been released on the Xbox 1 console

That would have cost a serious amount of money to make. oh and so is sim goat coming to the Xbox 1. So there must be a market for that sort of sim.

I am just waiting for there next big release, lets watch paint dry the simulation. LoL

A relatively new John Deere combine with 40-foot-wide grain header is about $400,000. I suspect that farmers who don't want their expensive equipment banged up were the original market for these, and it kind of grew from there.

I see your plan, trying to inject some logic and reason into the discussion... :heu:

Actually that does make a lot of sense.

And every time you need something more than a basic function you have to look down and peck at the keyboard. Whereas with a good HOTAS setup you VERY RARELY have to take your eyes off the screen and muscle memory helps you select the right button/slider/hat switch without thinking - just as in touch typing. There is no 'fight' involved. :)

Some of us are able to use keyboard without looking at it every time. But I still prefer my Thrustmaster Warthog!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since few days ago i`m happy owner of Saitek X-55. I havent tried custom made gunner controlls but this thing is perfect - I can finally track even targets beyond 1500-2000m range without switching to mouse. It also has lot of buttons and switches so you can map nearly anything - even rotation wheel for range entry (using the Saitek software). If you have money to spare - go for it, i tried 4 different joysticks before( in range from 20-120€) and not 1 was precise enough or sensitive enough etc. except this thing.

IT took me 45 minutes of trial and error to map everything but now im a happy panda. Beer for everyone! :drink:

• 5 weeks later...

Think about it.

Who could afford a PC in the 80's and 90's? Answer - Educated persons with good paying jobs. Not only could they afford a PC they had the smarts to play complicated wargames and other types of simulations.

Now any Tom, Dick or Harry earning a MacDonalds paycheck or even on welfare can afford a game console or inexpensive base PC and guess what they ain't gonna waste what little brain power they've got left after smoking that joint and drinkin' the beer to go with it while sittin' on the couch playing a simulation that wouldn't do much more than give 'em a headache and frustrate the hell out of 'em. Considering half of 'em have IQ's less than a 100... - by definition 100 is the arithmetic mean IQ - Developers (most of 'em anyway) go where the money is and the money isn't in supplying complex simulations to the masses.

And that is why the percentage of sales going to milsims and armor sims has gone down. Fewer offerings for the dedicated to play and way way more people with consoles and PC's that couldn't play 'em anyway.

OH and here - for those that are going to flame me for being an elitist!

:gun:

:1: Werewolf :1:

I just saved ya the trouble.