Just a quick hello from a new chap!

No.615_Midge

I hope this is the right forum for saying hello.Last week i was up all night with an impacted wisdom tooth,and watching utube for something to do.I came across downloads from Steel Beasts pro[TGIF,Finland campaign]-i was impressed.

The immersion looked superb and from what I could see-very,very challenging,i've bought the month subscription"toe in the water" i was not disappointed:bigsmile:,needless to say I will be upgrading to the dongle thingy.

About me--A ex tree dropper who flightsims for a hobby.I'm already a member of ACG for Cliffs of Dover. As to Steel Beasts pro i'm a long way from joining any online missions yet,i keep getting my views mixed up and my gunnery is bloody awfull:rolleyes:---but hope to find a place in the future.

so again hello M

I hope this is the right forum for saying hello.Last week i was up all night with an impacted wisdom tooth,and watching utube for something to do.I came across downloads from Steel Beasts pro[TGIF,Finland campaign]-i was impressed.

The immersion looked superb and from what I could see-very,very challenging,i've bought the month subscription"toe in the water" i was not disappointed:bigsmile:,needless to say I will be upgrading to the dongle thingy.

About me--A ex tree dropper who flightsims for a hobby.I'm already a member of ACG for Cliffs of Dover. As to Steel Beasts pro i'm a long way from joining any online missions yet,i keep getting my views mixed up and my gunnery is bloody awfull:rolleyes:---but hope to find a place in the future.

so again hello M

Welcome!:luxhello:

The easiest, way after the tutorials to learn this sim is multiplayer, we have some great guys here who can help you with all the knowledge you may require.

I suspect that one of the VU's will swoop down and latch on to you soon,:c: again another great way to learn.

Don't be afraid to join us this Friday night, the online games are some of the best ways to learn from new guys like yourself, and us old farts.

Hi and welcome.

If you click on this link you'll find some "starter" resources that maybe of help:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=272965&postcount=5

Perhaps we should have a sticky "new member" thread so people can read these comments in the one place?

Anyway Once you get comfortable there are numerous groups (virtual units "VU") that meet at many different times to reflect the needs of their local members. So no matter where you live there should be a VU is an almost convenient time zone.

In Aust/NZ that's Thursday nights at 7:00pm Sydney time, but as I say other time zones have other VUs.

Do not be afraid to go online ASAP. You'll learn a lot, and trust me: no one will laugh at you. (They may laugh with you, though.) Everyone here knows there is a steep learning curve at first. But this sim was designed to teach you what you did right, and what you did wrong.

I think most of us are still learning lessons on the finer points of armored combat tactics. Many post-TGIF discussions bear that out. Besides, online play is über-fun. :gun:

Do not be afraid to go online ASAP. You'll learn a lot, and trust me: no one will laugh at you. (They may laugh with you, though.) Everyone here knows there is a steep learning curve at first. But this sim was designed to teach you what you did right, and what you did wrong.

I think most of us are still learning lessons on the finer points of armored combat tactics. Many post-TGIF discussions bear that out. Besides, online play is über-fun. :gun:

Unless you drive:

A) off a bridge

B) into a tree

Then all bets are off. :)

Thanks for the welcome everybody,i'm sure that sometime in the next couple of weeks i'm going to be on TS and asking for help--just as a start though;what's the best AFV to start learning the ropes with,i know i could be opening a can of worms here.At the moment i'm trying to get to grips with the Leopard2 series--but the CV90's keep catching my eye.

Also is there any info on RT do's and don'ts[somehow i don't think"check six old chap and break to starboard"will somehow cut it:lol:]

Again thanks for the welcome M

ps Hedgehog--- chopping down trees was my realworld job so i can't promise not to remove a few out of professional pride:bigsmile:

ps Hedgehog--- chopping down trees was my realworld job so i can't promise not to remove a few out of professional pride :bigsmile:

Aw crap.

Stir the pot, huh?

Zip and Katie will post in:

And Midge?

You'd better learn how to use the artillery.. :)

• Members
what's the best AFV to start learning the ropes with, i know i could be opening a can of worms here.At the moment i'm trying to get to grips with the Leopard2 series--but the CV90's keep catching my eye.

The CV90s are on the more difficult end with lots of different fire control modes, so I would not necessarily recommend them early on. Also, IFVs are generally more difficult to play with because they are more vulnerable (=less forgiving) than MBTs. Plus, you have the added complexity that you need to coordinate both the dismounted troops and the vehicle for fire support.

As far as tanks are concerned, it's primarily a matter of taste I'd say. The Leopard has one of the simpler fire controls (refined, but easy to use). However, some people think that the dynamic lead concept is more finicky to control. The M1 on the other hand automatizes the lead calculation, you just need to learn when to switch that off. However, you must mentally track what's loaded in the gun and what will be loaded next, so you can select the proper ammunition switch for the ballistic computer.

The T-72 has a less refined fire control system (even less so the T-62). Some people who would rather use Kentucky windage may actually find this more natural to use, but at the expense of less precision particularly at long ranges. Also, your armor protection is less, and the ammunition is weaker.

...just as a start though;what's the best AFV to start learning the ropes with,i know i could be opening a can of worms here.At the moment i'm trying to get to grips with the Leopard2 series...

Hi, Midge,

Just caught your posting: welcome to SB! Pretty much each of us has his own favourite vehicle. You'll find that some of the skills you use on one will translate easily to another. The Leopard 2 is my favourite so I must applaud your current study subject! Join in any time on the TGIF or other games/scenarios: best way to learn about the vehicle and how you use it with others on your side. One day I might even find out how...! :clin: