Can we have a Sticky thread for New Players?

Gibsonm

Of course its great to have new people joining but is there a chance we can set up a single "new people post here" type thread?

Then we could have a central thread where they could read about other new people's experiences and also have one place to list "new person" resources.

I'm more than happy to keep posting this link:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=272965&postcount=5

But then the new person has to click on it to read it and its one more barrier.

If it was in the thread (along with other players hopefully helpful hints) then a new person would have a "one stop shop" and those trying to help wouldn't be repeating themselves as much. :)

• Members

Do you want it more like an announcement, or as a sticky thread?

Stickies tend to accumulate a crust of irrelevant or obsolete postings (case in point, the "My CodeMeter isn't working" thread; I should probably create a new one). If it's set as an announcement no replies can be added except for (hopefully) carefully composed messages by board administrators.

Feel free to create a thread and I'll turn it into whatever you want. I suppose you know better than most what kind of information should be posted in the first message which arguably is the most important one in such a thread. Not every new user will read these announcement threads, though. Just sayin'.

Yes I'm sure there will those new people you don't know where to look (or are the "who reads the FM" types).

I just thought it might be useful to have a "front door" here so new people can say "hello", we can say "welcome" back and who knows either learn by reading some of the resources posted or even talk to each other so new people could perhaps play other new people and crack that first "I'm too green for multi player" barrier.

As for an announcement / versus sticky I think sticky would be OK because then the replies would also be in the one thread.

I guess if it got too big, we could archive and start over. :)

I think it would be useful to have information up front (not at the end of a link).

I'll draft something and put it here.

BTW, I'm not saying I'm the only person with all the answers, if others wanted to add stuff (maybe VU profiles to inform new people and what not) that would be fine with me.

Ideally we could avoid "My VU is better than your VU" type squabbles. :)

We may have to thank a youtuber for that.

"DevilDogGamer"(??), he has quiete a few followers. Good promo I'd say!!

And agreed, there should be a sticke with some basic info on all the active/available VU's for new players to get Info...Idealy in the opening post.

Of course its great to have new people joining but is there a chance we can set up a single "new people post here" type thread?

Then we could have a central thread where they could read about other new people's experiences and also have one place to list "new person" resources.

I'm more than happy to keep posting this link:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=272965&postcount=5

But then the new person has to click on it to read it and its one more barrier.

If it was in the thread (along with other players hopefully helpful hints) then a new person would have a "one stop shop" and those trying to help wouldn't be repeating themselves as much. :)

+1

Have been thinking some type of thread would be beneficial

I also think some type of annual newbie meet up on TeamSpeak

With experienced players hosting and answering questions

I do realise most VU's already offer this facility

But a lot of people don't like being the only new guy in the pack.

Just a thought.

But a wiki is just the same issue as me linking to an earlier post.

The new person has to click on the link to go to the Wiki or the post.

Whilst I understand the arguments about possible "spoon feeding" etc. I think requiring some one to click on a link is another barrier.

If its "in your face" on the page with no links then there is more likelihood that people will actually read it.

As opposed to a mass of "how do I ..." type posts which then shifts the burden back to us to post the information again and again in response to posts that are almost duplicates from each successive new person (not the new person's fault because they don't know if the question has been asked before, or the answer may not appear on their page if they only display so many posts, etc.).

I'm trying to reduce / eliminate barriers to entry, no matter how small we may think they are. :)

• Administrators

Someone will have to click something to see what is in the sticky. I can cut and paste what is in the wiki. The problem is boiling down everything a new guy would need to know down into the space of one post.

Alright,

If you are one of the recent "new people" can you have a look here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

and let me know if that covers what you think are the key points.

If I've missed something - let me know.

Also if you are from a VU can you have a look and provide me with the details to flesh out your section?

Once its complete I'll work out how to integrate it into the Wiki's table of contents, etc.

Gibson

I don't think a single thread is the best way to present the information because the original post will eventually grow into a wall of text that will be buried under pages and pages of following posts as Ssnake noted. A better solution is to create a new section for it on the non-forum part of sb.com. I am willing to work with you in putting it together if this is something you want to do.

• Members

Like I wrote, it can be made a sticky that then gets closed, so no additional posting is allowed for anyone except forum admins. We'd then create a separate thread for the suggestion of amendments to the sticky, and copy useful suggestions over.

That is presuming a person will visit the forum at all. If he does visit sb.com, they arrive at the site part for certain. The wall of text will still be an issue for the TLDR people.

P.S. I'm fine with whatever route is taken. I'm just offering another option.

*Sigh*

This is what's wrong with humanity

No. I some cases it is.justified. often there is no need to inflate text when the necessary information can be given in a few short paragraphs.

So in my pov homer has a point: as much info as needed...as compact as possible

Ssnake, Homer, and everyone else with a post count over 30, ;)

Sean asked me to create a Wiki, so I did.

I'm now asking the new people to review it (if you guys will stop hiding that post with your "stuff"). :)

Once they tell me they are happy I'll link it up and then people can expand the Wiki.

Thanks.

So again:

Alright,

If you are one of the recent "new people" can you have a look here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

and let me know if that covers what you think are the key points.

If I've missed something - let me know.

Also if you are from a VU can you have a look and provide me with the details to flesh out your section?

Once its complete I'll work out how to integrate it into the Wiki's table of contents, etc.

A suggestion is to add labels to the sections so the info is easier to find.

For example:

1. LEARNING TO PLAY WITH YOURSELF (haha)

A. Through Experience

B. Through Reading

2. PLAYING WITH OTHERS

A. Regular Events

B. Semi-Regular Events

C. Organized Groups