TeamSpeak moderators needed

Ssnake

• Members

It has become apparent that we can no longer moderate the Teamspeak server effectively. Yet with the state of the internet degenerating more and more into a place of constant strife moderation is absolutely necessary. So, until we can find volunteers to maintain a reliable presence there we'll have to shut it down.

I am very sorry about that but I see no other choice. It was fun while it lasted.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gather TGIF went a bit "pear shaped"? I wasn't there but as this post wasn't here "pre TGIF" and is now ...

What is the bill?

I can do a few hours per day (evenings my time) but I can't give 24/7/365 coverage.

Maybe the volunteers can do overlapping rosters to achieve coverage?

What do the volunteers need to do?

Is there an acceptable standard defined somewhere?

If a visitor doesn't fit the standard are they "muted" or is there some more permanent solution?

Oof. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm willing to offer my helping hand with the team-speak. I'm online usually most much of weekends, and at least couple of hours nearly everyday.

Here is my roster when I would be typically available. - UTC time

Monday-Thursday = 14:00 to 18:00

Friday = 14:00 to 18:00 / Sometimes up to 23:00

Saturday = 14:00 to 23:00

Sunday = 14:00 to 18:00 / Sometimes up to 23:00

If necessary I can flex from these times for good reason. Like for example if moderator is needed to supervise TGIF or something similar. My working is flexible in manner that as long as I get jod done and hours filled to roster, i can shift on what time and day I work. As long as it doesn't disturb other guy who works after me.

- - -

Thought I would like to know a little of what happened, and what would be expected from moderator. I don't want to take chore that I'm not capable or interested of.

• Members

At this point we haven't yet committed to a solution. We had an incident a few hours ago that is still under investigation. Until that investigation is complete I do not want to speculate about the solution.

That said, we will considerate our options in the coming days, which will also depend a bit on how many people actually volunteer for a rather thankless job. For moderators we want people who have an understanding of the community, demonstrated a generally patient and helpful attitude, can handle difficult situations, and of course we need a relatively tight monitoring to react quickly to developing situations. Obviously this is a rather demanding profile. Whatever our solution will be, it must reflect the number and quality of volunteers that will hopefully step up for this "community service".

This is most unfortunate and extremely sad to hear.

Is password protection an option? Perhaps anyone wishing to join could apply for an automatic weekly email with the new password or something? Anyone violating TS rules could be removed from the mailing list. IDK, just throwing that out there.

If I had more time, I'd offer to help. I'd do anything to save the SB TS service.

Can you clarify this "difficult" situations? As this what happened here seems to be bit extreme to my eyes. I have spend much of my life at voice chats. Much of it as Admin / owner (of small groups) and so far most difficult situations I have been facing and people that are drunken or ones that with purpose come to harassing it - after become angry of something, like from feeling of being treated wrong.

I as myself prefer peace over everything else. In all my times I have not met person who I could not stand to be with on same space if necessary or to talk with. As for kicking someone out or giving ban. I have done that too, and will do so if necessary / or if someone clearly breaks against rules.

As for volunteering for a rather thankless job. - I feel that it is important for society. I have and find it important to help new players to get started with Steel-beast as it is rather demanding simulation after all for many of those out there.

Is password protection an option? Perhaps anyone wishing to join could apply for an automatic weekly email with the new password or something? Anyone violating TS rules could be removed from the mailing list. IDK, just throwing that out there.

THAT IS GREAT IDEA! I wish I would have had this idea years ago when I was admin of game group I played at that time. If someone wan'ts to come harass voice chat.. they have many ways to get online even if banned / kicked.

• Members
Can you clarify this "difficult" situations?

Generally speaking, and with NO direct or indirect reference to the current incident: As a moderator particularly in a voice chat you will be confronted with "he said, she said" type of arguments. Meaning, you get to hear two versions of the story where you typically have no clear evidence corroborating either side's claims. Then what do you do? Ban both? Just one, and whom? How do you make sure that your judgment isn't clouded by your prejudices?

So, you're occasionally cast into a situation where a decision is expected, and whatever you decide, someone will be disappointed and may not react well to it. How do you "separate" two people who want to pick a fight (or maybe it's just one of them, and it may not be the outwardly aggressive person, if the other, calm one is capable of pressing certain emotional "buttons" with the other, be it with seemingly harmless remarks, or offensive pictures, private text chat messages, whatever).

All I'm saying is, these are the kind of challenges with which you may be confronted, and you act in an environment with incomplete information, where timing is vital.

Dang, sounds a lot like combined arms combat...

I gather TGIF went a bit "pear shaped"? I wasn't there but as this post wasn't here "pre TGIF" and is now ...?

There was something that delayed the start of TGIF, but it didn't seem to be directly related to TGIF, and nothing unusual happened during the game itself, at least on the red side.

On the issue of more moderators, I'm willing to step up to the plate, and offer my experience, with dealing with people in a fair and impartial way. I've never caused issues, but this has to be a better way to handle things. So I'm here to help if you need me.

Sound something that I can deal with. Or at least to stay away and ask help if I'm pulled to be part / unable to deal with it for some reason that I cannot foresee right now.

My only concern is how situation will develop from current. I hope that things will not get worse.

IMO a moderator must have discipline and a short temper, Neutrality should be second. Allow minor offenses and You encourage major ones. 0 tolerance for messing with people, or disturbing TGIF battles with Garbage about who's avatar offended who. If I was Moderator none of these trolls would remain. Like the one that caused all this mess, and everyone knows who this troll is. It is no secret. They managed to dismantle the SB TS server through complaining and causing trouble. The community gave this person legitimacy and now we are all fools. I am no Moderator But You are on My list. I am watching You buddy. My 2 cents.

Its a goddamn shame. In over a decade no one has caused enough drama to cause eSim to pull the plug on TS, until now. People need to grow up already. If you don't like someone, there is a "block" button, use it. I have found great use for it and it is rather effective. No one is putting a gun to your head to deal with whoever you dislike.

It has become apparent that we can no longer moderate the Teamspeak server effectively. Yet with the state of the internet degenerating more and more into a place of constant strife moderation is absolutely necessary. So, until we can find volunteers to maintain a reliable presence there we'll have to shut it down.

I am very sorry about that but I see no other choice. It was fun while it lasted.

I feel strongly that if the SB TS server is shut down there will be a substantial decrese in SB online ativity. Which would be a great shame. Personally, I don't consider myself to have the experience necessary to be a moderator, otherwise I would volunteer. I hope others step forward to allow the facility to continue.

almost all who are posting here have allegiances and views that may prevent them from looking at conflict(s) with a neutral point of view.

And you know us all personally.?

I presume that by your comment,

I don't know what happened neither do I want too.

But this is not good for the community if some members have broken the rules they should Be suspended till the investigation is complete. and normal service should resume ASAP.

Just my two cents worth.

There was something that delayed the start of TGIF, but it didn't seem to be directly related to TGIF, and nothing unusual happened during the game itself, at least on the red side.

Well that sort of helps.

I guess like Tjay I'll remain in the dark on the details, but the impact is going to be widely felt.

I feel strongly that if the SB TS server is shut down there will be a substantial decrese in SB online ativity. Which would be a great shame. Personally, I don't consider myself to have the experience necessary to be a moderator, otherwise I would volunteer. I hope others step forward to allow the facility to continue.

We a currently debating weather to open up the PzBtl911 TS server for the community activities till this mess is sorted out. I'll keep you updated.

But it won't be a nice place.

Unlike the SB.com we don't have to consider customer happieness as a factor. So moderating would be quiete easy for us. No need to be objective/impartial or considerate...if someone feels the need to start a verbal fight we don't care who made the first strike...we kick everyone involved :-P

Let us know if there is interest/need.

• Members

Just to clarify, we hope to be able to restore the TS server. But we need to analyze the situation first, as well as the options that are left to us under practical considerations.

Hopefully the disruption will not last for too long. The circumstances permitting we intend to present a solution before the coming weekend.