SB TS Server

Tjay

If I understand Ssnake's post about 'The Incident' correctly, in future the TS Server will only be enabled for pre-planned and advertised sessions. UKA is currently not operating, but I would like to revive it from mid September onwards in it's previously regular Sunday evening slot. Will it be possibe to arrange for the SB TS server to be made available for those sessions - exact times to be decided nearer the date?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't hammered out the details yet. Naturally we will try to accommodate the community as best as we can, within the limits of practicality.

OK, many thanks. I'm confident you will come up with a good solution. :clin:

Ssnake,

Thank you and the team for bringing it back so quickly. :)

Are there guidelines for "we happy few"?

Do we refer issues back to the eSim team (always hoping that there aren't any) or do we make our own decisions regarding muting, etc.

I suspect there maybe some "testing of limits" and it might be good to know what our response should be so there is a standardised response from the moderators.

For what its worth I'll be "on" from 0800 - 1200 GMT as we test the new arrangement with BG ANZAC. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators
Ssnake,

Thank you and the team for bringing it back so quickly. :)

Do we refer issues back to the eSim team (always hoping that there aren't any) or do we make our own decisions regarding muting, etc.

I suspect there maybe some "testing of limits" and it might be good to know what our response should be so there is a standardised response from the moderators.

For what its worth I'll be "on" from 0900 - 1200 GMT as we test the new arrangement with BG ANZAC. :)

There have always been guidelines:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20369

...these may be added to over time, they were intended as an evolving running list of guidelines to go by (the points had already been agreed upon by the existing moderators in the past).

Better to PM any questions or additional ideas about that list. ;)

Edited by Volcano
typo

OK, understood.

I'll have a look "tonight" and see what additional rights I may now have and then perhaps formulate some suggested "tactical" guidelines/suggestions (will send via PM).

The current list certainly gives an intent, but I think we need to avoid me "muting" someone for a period for using say the "C" word while maybe 12Alfa boots/ bans a person for the same thing.

Just trying to achieve consistency.

Also can I suggest that as the current moderator group isn't big enough for 24/7 coverage that VU's invite a Moderator to a planned session?

Between the three I think we should be able to do it.

Of course once we have the tactical guidance it wont matter who attends as the same rules should be applied by any of the three.

Not sure if its already in the rules

But can I suggest recording conversations in team speak with out the other persons Agreement or knowledge be banned besides being underhanded I think its actually illegal in Some country's .

• Members

I've said it before - and it's all to be seen in context of course:

I don't believe in a thick "code of law". The more rules, the more loopholes - and the more you invite "forum lawyers" to test out where the limits are. Of course that's not to say that there shouldn't be any codification, but I rather have good people applying a thin code of law than weak people wielding a thick book of rules.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a general change of policy, I think the community will be better off if even smaller transgressions are punished quicker/more frequently, but with less severe penalties. Think of a slap on the wrist rather than taking more time before dropping the big hammer.

I think it's better to show immediately where the limits are rather than being too lenient, allowing for an escalation and, particularly, the formation of clicques who start collective feuds against each other with minor provocations etc.; we've seen enough of that (and that includes a few esteemed, long-standing members of this community too; it's not as if I haven't noticed).

Understood.

I've PM'ed 12Alfa (Sean and Volcano cc'ed) with an idea or two just to achieve consistency.

I've emailed Cavgunner as his account does not permit PMs.

I'll get a better idea at the BG ANZAC session when I find out what the actual range of punishments available to a moderator actually are.

Once Cavgunner, 12Alfa and I have a plan we'll run it by Sean, Volcano and yourself to ensure it lies within the intent.

Not sure if its already in the rules

But can I suggest recording conversations in team speak with out the other persons Agreement or knowledge be banned besides being underhanded I think its actually illegal in Some country's .

Personally, I think it would be more effective to include language that makes it clear that by connecting to the teamspeak server, you consent to being recorded.

Personally, I think it would be more effective to include language that makes it clear that by connecting to the teamspeak server, you consent to being recorded.

Well great, if adopted, that will preclude me ever playing multi player SB again (at least if was conducted using the SB TS server). :(

14. Any attempt to disrupt TGIF or any other officially sanctioned SB.com event. This includes but is not limited to: organizing other gaming events during the same exact day+time slot as TGIF, to be played on another server or on SB.com's Teamspeak server, or communicating with other users to boycott TGIF or other officially sanctioned SB.com events.

Can we talk about how ridiculous guideline #14 is? Maybe eSim can look at re-wording this, or maybe just removing it - because the way it reads is very constraining to the community.

Be part of TGIF or you're not allowed to play at all.

Friday and Sunday are the only days that I'm available to play, but TGIF isn't something I'm interested in participating. I know there are more people in the same boat as me.

Why limit the community in such a harsh way? People want to enjoy the game, at any day/time of the week. Why put constraints on them?

The following is the list of major TS server and game behavior that constitutes as exploits/cheating/bad behavior which will result in a ban, and also some rules regarding virtual unit channels on the SB.com TS server:

No recordings, period.

Sounds good to me. It should be noted that, in my post, I only say "more effective" because while it is possible (I think) to disable recording in TS, that does not prevent people from using an external program to make a recording. Also, there is the likelihood that preventing recordings from the team speak server could prevent recording a video from the Friday night games, depending on the method and program used to do the recording.

Also, there is the likelihood that preventing recordings from the team speak server could prevent recording a video from the Friday night games, depending on the method and program used to do the recording.

Yep, which is why Rolling Thunder wasn't recorded and why I don't play TGIF if Rotar is recording.