Custom Control consoles

LeoKnight7

Hello everybody!

While planning and coming up with a couple of new things...has anybody ever tried to manufacture a custom control console? Bear in mind that I don't refer to control unit replicas, but to custom made consoles that would minimize response time while running various scenarios, instead of using a keyboard. I have some ideas - also tried a couple! - for buttons such as formations, arty call etc. Any thoughts?

Hello everybody!

While planning and coming up with a couple of new things...has anybody ever tried to manufacture a custom control console? Bear in mind that I don't refer to control unit replicas, but to custom made consoles that would minimize response time while running various scenarios, instead of using a keyboard. I have some ideas - also tried a couple! - for buttons such as formations, arty call etc. Any thoughts?

If I understand what you are after, it's not necessary to build such a thing; various products are on the market. In addition to my HOTAS setup I also use something called a Masterpilot Hot Shot - out of production for many years now. Its basically just a bunch of buttons that can be programmed to any key - or combination of keys - you like. I use if for exactly the sort of command you refer to. I thinkd CH and other joystick manufacturers make modern versions.

Truth be told, I have come across quite a few consoles, but most of them tend to have sort of a "cockpit" feeling...not that good for my taste if you know what I mean!! :bigsmile: Hence my question regarding custom made cosnsoles with integrated usb controllers and simple off-the-shelf pushbuttons, switches etc.

Or there is this "farm machinery controller" from Saitek:

GrluSOOJqrU

Apparently you can just buy the side unit:

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/hardware/83942-saiteks-300-dedicated-farming-simulator-15-controller-setup/

There is a SB Forum post on this here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=21882&highlight=farm

Edited by Gibsonm
Added link to SB forum post

Truth be told, I have come across quite a few consoles, but most of them tend to have sort of a "cockpit" feeling...not that good for my taste if you know what I mean!! :bigsmile: Hence my question regarding custom made cosnsoles with integrated usb controllers and simple off-the-shelf pushbuttons, switches etc.

I DO know what you mean. My Master Pilot thingy is styled after the sort of MFD display you find in modern combat aircraft, with buttons arranged around the perimeter of the central display screen. Not at all 'tanky' but very functional.