Windows 10

Timber Wolf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 yesterday. 2.x runs fine. I'm installing 3.025 now to check. I don't normally run SB on my laptop but I am checking that all my stuff works well under Windows 10 before upgrading my desktop from Windows 7. My laptop was Windows 8 which I really didn't care for... anyway I'll let you know in a little bit... as far as Windows 10 goes so far I like it much better than Windows 8.

-Bill

I'm still going to wait a bit before doing my desktop. I made an image of my laptop before installing just in case. There is an option to revert back to the previous OS for 30 days after installing as well. I wouldn't trust it if things went badly with the installation for some reason...

3.025 runs fine for me on my laptop with Windows 10 (Intel i3 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000). I played a single player mission and everything works just fine :-) I haven't tried multiplayer with it.

Great news!

I was wondering.

I was going to wait a couple of months, but things seem to be going well apart from Microsoft's authentication servers running hot.

I heard it would be continually updated, so may not be a service pack.

• Members

Just some light reading fromRock, Paper, Shotgun about the privacy issues with Windows 10. At this point I am extremely reluctant, to put it mildly, and I can only recommend to anyone who doesn't want to share his browser history with the creeps from Redmond to at least skip the creation of the "Microsoft Account" during installation.

Otherwise productive of Windows 10 won't even be possible if your internet connection goes down. At least that's what seems to be the case, judging from some virtual machine experiments.

Just some light reading fromRock, Paper, Shotgun about the privacy issues with Windows 10. At this point I am extremely reluctant, to put it mildly, and I can only recommend to anyone who doesn't want to share his browser history with the creeps from Redmond to at least skip the creation of the "Microsoft Account" during installation.

Otherwise productive of Windows 10 won't even be possible if your internet connection goes down. At least that's what seems to be the case, judging from some virtual machine experiments.

Thanks for the link. I adjusted some of my privacy settings.

Some observations after 2 days of mess-up with Win 10.

-Upgrade from Win 7 is not seamless, as advertized, if your system locale for non-unicode programs not matches language version of OS. My example: I used english version of Win 7 with russian system locale and automated updater offered only russian version of Win 10, which can lead to removal of all installed applications after update. Solution was simple- to change system locale to english, but... Impression on new OS already suffered somewhat.

-Efficiency and performance seems to be not improved over Win 7. New GUI ergonomics just sucks. Dunno what Microsoft dudes think, but its design is disorientating and not intuitive(unlike XP, Vista, Win 7), IMHO.

-After update I got persistent issue with critical error when waking up a PC from sleep mode. Seems to be resolved it at least partially with bios update(quite risky stuff, IMHO)

-A lot of already mentioned issues with privacy and security. I just went paranoid and set most of apps and services privacy-related permissions to "Off".

Overall opinion about new OS- pure distilled crap. :clin:

-Upgrade from Win 7 is not seamless, as advertized, if your system locale for non-unicode programs not matches language version of OS. My example: I used english version of Win 7 with russian system locale and automated updater offered only russian version of Win 10, which can lead to removal of all installed applications after update. Solution was simple- to change system locale to english, but... Impression on new OS already suffered somewhat.

-Efficiency and performance seems to be not improved over Win 7. New GUI ergonomics just sucks. Dunno what Microsoft dudes think, but its design is disorientating and not intuitive(unlike XP, Vista, Win 7), IMHO.

-After update I got persistent issue with critical error when waking up a PC from sleep mode. Seems to be resolved it at least partially with bios update(quite risky stuff, IMHO)

-A lot of already mentioned issues with privacy and security. I just went paranoid and set most of apps and services privacy-related permissions to "Off".

I seriously considered loading it yesterday after reading an article on how windows 10 will

Will have some compatibility with Xbox one, ie you can use your windows 10 machine as a Hub for your Xbox one.

Glad I decided against it now. think I will wait for the first service Pack.

I installed last night and have had no major problems. All games/Sims work fine. Edge is a little buggy, seems to Freeze on some pages and must restart, I also had to set my ISP email up 3 times in the mail app before it actually started working. I think a fresh install would be best but don't have the energy for that right now. I am going to give it a cautious thumbs up, I kind of like it. One major plus with media center and games gone my wife has not used my computer since the upgrade. Waiting for a few patch cycles before upgrading might not be a bad idea.

FYI: I upgraded from Win7 64

Since my tablet that I upgraded to Win 10 on the weekend has no access to the internet a lot of the time when I'm using it and I've had no issues I think this was a one off type issue mentioned in the link.

Overall I'm quite happy with W10. I didn't mind W8.1, but after moving to W10 I couldn't go back. My only significant issue is the apparent bug on my tablet that means it ignores the timeout setting for requiring a password when waking it and always requires it (or never requires it if you let it sleep on its own :c:).

I hadn't ran any any real issues with Windows 10 until a few moments ago when I booted it up and it popped up a "Try Office 365 for 1 month" advert notification. Micro$oft indeed... :mad3:

RL6c3SM.png

There's a setting for that :clin: (at least it might stop that): under notifications set the Windows tip notification to off.

No need to turn off all notifications, I just uninstalled the "Get office" app that comes with 10 and only serves to inform you that you can get a 1 year trial of Office 365.

I remember a day when one could at least format a store bought PC and install a clean copy of Windows to get rid of the junk they came preloaded with, but I guess even that's out of the question now that Windows itself has the same junk built-in.

I fix in home PC's for a job and I have been having alot of problems with Win 10 not waking up from sleep on all different kinds of laptops and Desktops not to mention there is some problems between Nvidia drivers and the OS. I would not consider updating without first cloning your HDD so you can fully return to the state prior to installing Win10