Hummer gets a replacement

mpow66m

It's the one I was pulling for. From the PR about the tests, it looked to be the best candidate. And with Oshkosh having the experience in heavy vehicles that they do, I believe they had an definite advantage from the beginning. And they are heavy vehicles, double the weight of the standard Humvee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_L-ATV

If not for the F-35, I think this would have gotten more attention. Its a huge deal:

The U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) wants to buy 54,599 JLTVs -- 49,099 for the U.S. Army and 5,500 for the U.S. Marine Corps. The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) estimates that the DOD will spend more than $53.3 billion on the JLTV program -- $1.1 billion for research and at least $52.3 billion for procurement.
Of course the other side of this is how big of a loss for AM general it is. Lockheed Martin will of course survive, AM general...?

this is def an improvement over the Hummer but its gonna be awhile til the Mil gets them.They kind of remind me of the LMV.This is def a win,esp considering the direction certain individuals are trying to take the Mil.The F35 is a debacle but theyll make it work at all costs.Its good to see somebody was thinking straight on this one.

I wonder will they give Arnold Schwarzenegger one.

The story goes they never meant for the Humvee to be sold on the civilian market till Arnold Asked them to sell him one.

This lead to a unexpected new market opening for AM General.

I see the US military is starting to sell off thousands of Humvees

Are they any good as a off roader ?

I have seen a few here in Ireland The Irish military purchased some for there peace keeping missions. they certinally look the part

I felt safe in the ones we operated in Afghanistan. Back seat put my ass to sleep and made for some funny moments as I tried to exit the veh after a long drive. It's embarrassing when your lower body fails to work when climbing down from them.:c::heu:

Good protection, light enough to get around most places. Cross county is a issue, maybe the new suspension will make them better. And the best thing , they were reliable, I'd say they had a operational ready rate of 95% percent or better in the COP I was in for daily use. (plz, no F-18 vs F-35 op readyness rate debte)

Although I preferred the MAX Pro due to my ass not going to sleep on me, and the better ride they gave, cross country is almost a no go in them over there :icon_frown:.

I wonder will they give Arnold Schwarzenegger one.

The storey goes they never meant for the Humvee to be sold on the civilian market till Arnold Asked them to sell him one.

This lead to a unexpected new market opening for AM General.

I see the US military is starting to sell off thousands of Humvees

I have seen a few here in Ireland The Irish military purchased some for there peace keeping missions. they certinally look the part

Well compared to a Jeep Wrangler (I have had 6, now buying another) they are ok. No good for tight spaces, and the turning radius is big. They are noisy on the hwy. Up side they have lots of room inside, and their a diesel. I have had my license for them since 2007 and they are fun to drive, never drove them in the winter so can't comment on how they work in that environment, but in the desert and Germany they preformed ok.I would pick a TJ over a Hummer every time.

Doesn't look like the ppl in the rear will have a good field-of-view..

No, if they are like to current ones out the front, sides are ok for what they are, the gunner has the best.:gun:. Looks like the same veh with some upgrades equipment, but basically the same cab. The rear seats are for passengers, between them is the A/C, and a platform for the gunner as well as ammo storage. The passengers have very little room, seats are slung from the roof. You can see out the front window just a bit, nothing to gauge what going on, can't see anything really in front of the veh.

The front two seats are well placed with all equipment in reach, you are up quite a bit, so your view is good through the front, a bit less on the doors through the small windows.

We had to replace these often as they were being shot at and cracked, not a big job, a few minutes in maintenance tent and we were good to go again.

ill defer to your 30 years :bigsmile::gun:

Y thank you. I've driven a few different models, and depending on the type you ,and the other 3 guys, and their gear, and wpnds, and comms shit, it can be a tight fit, of course this is negated by less passengers.

Compared to our G-Wagons ( German Wolfs) they have way more room inside, and not prone to rolling over :mad3:

Even so, one must take roll over training for a Hummer license.

In FT Pickett they have a roll over Hummer, that you get in, and a person rolls it over, lots of fun.:wink2:

Un strapping yourself while upside down with kit and wpnds is a clown show, ah the memories.....:cool3:

Heat_Trainer_400x_.JPG.a7900c0c105f8a6e1

Heat_Trainer_400x_.JPG.a7900c0c105f8a6e1

Y thank you. I've driven a few different models, and depending on the type you ,and the other 3 guys, and their gear, and wpnds, and comms shit, it can be a tight fit, of course this is negated by less passengers.

Compared to our G-Wagons ( German Wolfs) they have way more room inside, and not prone to rolling over :mad3:

Even so, one must take roll over training for a Hummer license.

In FT Pickett they have a roll over Hummer, that you get in, and a person rolls it over, lots of fun.:wink2:

Un strapping yourself while upside down with kit and wpnds is a clown show, ah the memories.....:cool3:

Hahaha i remeber doing that.nothing like getting hung up on your webbing upside down.:c:

Can't speak about the vehicle itself, but I did have an ex HMMWV 6.2l V8 diesel in my 6x4 off roader, great engine with bags of torque and could rev quite high for a natural aspirated diesel. My truck weighed in at 5.25 Tonnes and with the 6.2 engine returned about 25 to 26mpg compared with the 3mpg the 4.2 V8 petrol that was in it before. The later 6.5l V8 turbo is a lot more powerful but the only experience I have of that is a quick run in a Range Rover that had one fitted... it was scary fast!

The truck was used and abused but the engine soldiered on without complaint. Cant say the same for the auto gearbox tho, it was not designed to run those levels of torque and burned out the clutches and drive bands, the gearbox was not a HMMWV one, it was for a single deck bus.