Simulator sickness with TrackIR

Rotareneg

Just a fair warning for anyone who's susceptible to simulator sickness: Using 3.027 with TrackIR while in the TC position made me ill virtually immediately. Using TrackIR in DCS and other sims never bothered me, so I'm not sure what it is about SB that triggered it.

:oops: <- Replace the red tint with green...

Motion sickness with TrackIR can have a lot of origins. Everything from "too low FPS" (latency/smoothness of the motion) over FOV settings can be an individual factor.

However, the biggest issue usually is "induced motion", i.e. when the game simulates "head movement" that you actually did NOT do with TrackIR. For example, "head bobbing" in conjunction with TrackIR is always bad. Or displacement cams in general.

Now, for the TC: if you stick your head out of the turret, and the turret turns while you are using a TrackIR... your brain will pobably not like that, as the movement you see on the screen does not originate in actual head movement that you make with the TrackIR.

FlightSims usually do not have that issue, as you always have a "static" cockpit around you for reference. In a tank, thinks are different.

I would not be surprised if we will have an equal number of ppl that love it and that hate it. ;)

At the risk of losing my breakfast (or at least having to deal with a headache,) I spent some more time with it this morning and did figure out what giving me trouble.

I believe the major trigger for my motion sickness when using TrackIR in SB is that the camera angle is relative to the turret facing as opposed to being relative to the external world.

Without TrackIR, when in the TC's unbuttoned position and driving along the world simply rolls on by without any uncommanded rotation, even as the gunner scans or the driver turns. The camera only becomes fixed to the turret when you sit back down into the vehicle, which makes perfect sense as the interior of the turret is now the primary visual frame of reference.

With TrackIR, the camera angle stays relative to the turret when unbuttoned, causing the view to pan left and right relative to the external world as the turret is scanned, resulting in a conflict in perceived motion: I'm not turning my head and yet the "world" is turning.

An option to make the TrackIR view stay fixed to the external world would have the disadvantage of requiring the player to recenter the view as the vehicle turns about, but might be viable for people who can't stomach the current implementation.

Steel Beasts also has "head bobbing" where the camera pitches up and down as the vehicle goes over terrain, but I don't think that was a major contributor to my motion sickness, at least from some short tests, and it never bothered me before anyway (at least in SB, I hate head bobbings in FPS games.)

I've also heard that a rag or towel soaked in cool water and placed on the back of your neck will help. Although I must admit, I don't understand why. :confused:

If you need to wrap a wet towel around your head you're probably using your TrackIR wrong:

9TlI4A2.gif

:D

No Human being has spent more time with their Face planted in front of a screen since the Late 1970's than Me I can assure You. The real world now makes Me sick. I have been dreaming of the virtual world since I saw The Lawnmower Man about 25 years ago. Virtual reality is decades overdue as far as I am concerned.

lawnmowerman.jpg.dd14518856553f50e09ebf5

lawnmowerman.jpg.dd14518856553f50e09ebf5

• 2 weeks later...