"Troops" from M2A2 tutorial missions problem

tirta

Hi Guys,

I have played "Troops" mission from M2A2 tutorial missions.

However, I can not finish the mission.

I have put both soldiers in the bunker.

However, I notice they only shoot with their ATGM two times.

And then no more, out of ammo?

How can I tell them to reload the ATGM?

Is it possible?

I have played the mission three times, so far the best the troops can do:

they only hit one tank.

The rest of the tanks, do I have to hit them with M2A2 ?

But when I try to use TOW, they won't launch.

From outside view (F8), I can see the missile launcher goes up and down,

but they won't launch.

what is wrong here?

is this a bug?

Please advise.

• Members
Hi Guys,

I have played "Troops" mission from M2A2 tutorial missions.

However, I can not finish the mission.

I cannot rule out the possibility that over the years and numerous software revisions something changed that creates a problem with the scenario. You may still be doing everything right.

I have put both soldiers in the bunker.

However, I notice they only shoot with their ATGM two times.

And then no more, out of ammo?

How can I tell them to reload the ATGM?

Is it possible?

They will reload their default amount of ammo when mounting the vehicle again (at least as far as rifle, RPG ammo, and smoke grenades are concerned). I wouldn't be surprised if that was also possible for missiles. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if we reduced the default amount of ATGMs in the past years to something more realistic.

I have played the mission three times, so far the best the troops can do:

they only hit one tank.

The rest of the tanks, do I have to hit them with M2A2 ?

But when I try to use TOW, they won't launch.

From outside view (F8), I can see the missile launcher goes up and down,

but they won't launch.

what is wrong here?

Pay attention to the slope bubble (commander's places, lower right corner). If the turret's cant (roll) angle exceeds 15° the TOW cannot be fired. This may not apply to all directions (turn 90°, and cant becomes tilt, obviously).

Infantry and IFV's in this game are finicky and sensitive.

Dismount troops only carry TWO total ATM shots, one ready and one reload. To have them reload, they must mount back up into the IFV, wait for about 10 seconds, then dismount with TWO shots for their ATM weapon. The only other way for dismount Anti-Tank teams to have more shots is to edit the scenario from mission editor and adjust the values. This cannot be done in training missions.

Infantry are not the most accurately shooting soldiers. Trying to hit a moving target with an AT-4, Panzerfaust 3 or other NON-GUIDED AT weapons isn't the easiest thing to do. Sometimes, they will see a target but will not shoot because a branch blocks their Line of Sight. Other times, being able to shoot over a crest line or a curve in the ground ruins their accuracy. With guided weapons, it's a bit easier: Dragons, Javelins, etc. Don't get too frustrated when they miss. In realistic situations, trained, skilled infantry will hit the target more often than not. It's Steel Beasts, just let it be in order to save yourself from ulcers :bigsmile:

For the mounted ATGM's such as the TOW-2 on the M2 Bradley, YOU MUST BE ON LEVEL GROUND!!! Otherwise, the launcher will not operate. From the F1 view inside the turret, press F3 to look at the leveling bubble. If the bubble is touching the blue circle, the launcher will not fire. If you are in outside view (F8), stop the vehicle and wait three seconds. If the TOW launcher does not move into firing position, then you must move the vehicle in a more level position to do so. Sometimes it takes a meter or two, sometimes you are just in a bad area all together.

Hope this helps.

That scenario's really old (it mentions ATGM teams carrying the Dragon missile!)

Anyway, I edited it to fix some of the issues: The brad now carries stored missiles (it only had the 2 in the launcher before,) and I set its overwatch waypoint to stay on a level surface so it can actually fire missiles. I cleaned up the route and waypoints for the Brad that had forced troop mount and dismount orders set (the ones that get added automatically when loading an old scenario.) I gave the troops an extra AT-4 and edited the briefing text to indicate that you should set their fire control to engage at 200 meters to give them a better chance of successfully destroying the targets the Brad doesn't take out.

The scenario is attached: To use it just unzip it and move the file into your "C:\Users\*YOUR USER NAME HERE*\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios" folder and run it in SB as a regular offline scenario.

56e83d26175b5_12Troops_zip.8e3419ee359c3

12 Troops.zip

Thanks Ssnake and RedWardancer for the replies.

Yes after levelling the slope bubble at F3 view,

the TOW can be launched.

And finally I have found out how to finish this mission.

At point 5, you have to order M2A2 to "proceed".

Then hit all the remaining tanks with M2A2.

Also I can destroy a T72M1 with M2A2 main gun (M919 APFSDS-T) alone.

Is this realistic?

Thanks Rotareneg for updating the mission.

I will try yours.

• Members
TAlso I can destroy a T72M1 with M2A2 main gun (M919 APFSDS-T) alone.

Is this realistic?

You need favorable circumstances: Hitting the side armor at short distance from a near-oblique angle, going through between roadwheels and side skirts and into the ammo carousel ... yes, it is possible.

But all of these conditions must be met.