HEAT rounds falling short

Coolts

Is there any reason for this? In the gunnery training mission for M1A2, I can hit every moving target with SABOT, but every HEAT round falls short and the TC yells "Add 200",(I think that's what he's saying).

I'm not doing anything differently. Track, lase, centre, shoot, dump.

Do I have to manually change a setting on the targeting computer when I change ammo type? I know the manual sights for SABOT and HEAT are different.

In the M1 series, yes. The default hotkey for HEAT is the [Delete] key.

EDIT: Also, if you've got the wrong round selected, the ammo counter in the top right corner should be flashing as a reminder.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant In addition to changing the ammo. I change ammo, then the next loaded round is HEAT. Then its 200m short most of the time.

Is there any reason for this? In the gunnery training mission for M1A2, I can hit every moving target with SABOT, but every HEAT round falls short and the TC yells "Add 200",(I think that's what he's saying).

I'm not doing anything differently. Track, lase, centre, shoot, dump.

Do I have to manually change a setting on the targeting computer when I change ammo type? I know the manual sights for SABOT and HEAT are different.

There are 10 M1A2 gunnery tutorials, was there a specific one you were having the problem in?

Oh, and make sure you're indexing the correct HEAT ammo. In the tutorials the tanks are loaded with the M830A1 HEAT-MP-T rounds which are higher velocity than the M830 HEAT rounds that are loaded in the Tank Range, which is why they have separate keys to index them, DEL for the M830, and END for the M830A1.

Target is a mover? How is it moving?

er......on wheels. On the moving targets tutorial. I'm not sure what you mean :)

There are 10 M1A2 gunnery tutorials, was there a specific one you were having the problem in?

I did a few last night and had the same issue just to make sure I wasn't seeing a one-off.

Oh, and make sure you're indexing the correct HEAT ammo. In the tutorials the tanks are loaded with the M830A1 HEAT-MP-T rounds which are higher velocity than the M830 HEAT rounds that are loaded in the Tank Range, which is why they have separate keys to index them, DEL for the M830, and END for the M830A1.

I press insert and delete to switch SABOT and HEAT.

My question is. Apart from pressing those two keys. Do I have to do anything else to zero the sights? It feels like I'm missing a step to reset the targeting computer or something. (apart from 'P' to dump previous target)

In the tutorials you should be using the end key to index MPAT ammo when the M830A1 HEAT-MP-T round is loaded. The commander and loader always say "HEAT" regardless of what specific kind of HEAT ammo is loaded.

I just went through all the M1A2 gunnery tutorials without any problems, they seem to be working fine.

In the tutorials you should be using the end key to index MPAT ammo when the M830A1 HEAT-MP-T round is loaded. The commander and loader always say "HEAT" regardless of what specific kind of HEAT ammo is loaded.

I just went through all the M1A2 gunnery tutorials without any problems, they seem to be working fine.

Aha! That sounds right. There was "0|0" in the ammo count in the top right but the main gun was still firing. That didn't look right. Looks like it sets the targeting computers for whatever ammo you choose (whether you have any or not), but ACTUALLY fires something else. That's a bit special. Can I fire my loader out of his own gun?

I can never understand a word the AI shouts out In any case. :)

The gun fires whatever is loaded, but the fire control system doesn't automatically know what kind of ammo is in there. In the Leopards and Challenger 2 the loader has that job, in the M1 it's the gunners responsibility. If you have the wrong ammo, HEAT for example when there's a sabot loaded, the FCS will still elevate the gun as if there's a slow HEAT round loaded and lob the sabot into a neighboring country.

And about the TC audio, you might try the US version just to see if you can understand it better or worse (Fin? WTF is that? :P )

er......on wheels. On the moving targets tutorial. I'm not sure what you mean :)

Ok, I see that was not very descriptive.

If a target if moving towards you or away from you, you often miss the target because of slower speed of the HEAT round.

In hat case it is better to use sabot/fin rounds. Sometimes the AI TC does not leave you that choice, in that case you have to manually adjust the aimpoint to achieve a hit with an "chemical engergy"(HEAT, HESH, HE...) round.

The gun fires whatever is loaded, but the fire control system doesn't automatically know what kind of ammo is in there. In the Leopards and Challenger 2 the loader has that job, in the M1 it's the gunners responsibility. If you have the wrong ammo, HEAT for example when there's a sabot loaded, the FCS will still elevate the gun as if there's a slow HEAT round loaded and lob the sabot into a neighboring country.

And about the TC audio, you might try the US version just to see if you can understand it better or worse (Fin? WTF is that? :P )

Aye, that's what I reckon I've been doing. In reality the loader would say "no HEAT left" or something instead of just loading another SABOT and not telling the gunner after he'd selected HEAT on the firing computer. I'm learning :)

Ok, I see that was not very descriptive.

If a target if moving towards you or away from you, you often miss the target because of slower speed of the HEAT round.

In hat case it is better to use sabot/fin rounds. Sometimes the AI TC does not leave you that choice, in that case you have to manually adjust the aimpoint to achieve a hit with an "chemical engergy"(HEAT, HESH, HE...) round.

I see what you mean. The targets closure rate bringing them, in effect, under the arc of the shell.

Look at the round count in the upper right hand corner,if its flashing the wrong round is selected.

Monkey see, monkey do! hahah. I wont make that mistake again.

• Members
Aye, that's what I reckon I've been doing. In reality the loader would say "no HEAT left" or something instead of just loading another SABOT and not telling the gunner after he'd selected HEAT on the firing computer.

Yeah, but in this specific case there ARE HEAT rounds left, just not the slow M830 but the saboted, much faster MPAT M830A1 (which still is a HEAT round, too); it requires however a different ammo index selection as already discussed.