British Army considers new MBT

hawes

They need to fit a 120 smoothbore and develop a APS for the CR-2.

The MOD looked in to fitting a smoothbore to the CR-2 a good while ago but decided against It as it was believed the riffled 120 could handle any potential Opfor MBT at the time.

looks like there having to rethink that decision.

I don't see the treasury forking out for new tanks any time soon.

Another factor is you would have to redesign the turret interior layout.

CR-2 is built around 3 piece ammo.

Probably still be cheaper then buying off the shelf

One other possibility is for the UK to co-fund a new design like say the proposed leo-3

To start a new design from scratch would cost billions and take years.

But if they do buy off the shelf IMO, I would go for the M1A2 SEP with the new diesel engine.

The UK only needs to replace the C2 if and only when the new Russian tank proves to be what is advertised, and, only if they export said tank with all the proven systems.

At this point I think we can agree that all of this is just some publicity stunt, given that the tank broke down on the parade to showcase it, it's not the final production tank, and has not be tested against any western tank.

Keep calm, relax and wait to see if this develops into a threat. Also is the UK thinking of fighting a tank battle with Russia? Seems realy remote, best worrie about migrants I would think right now.

The UK only needs to replace the C2 if and only when the new Russian tank proves to be what is advertised, and, only if they export said tank with all the proven systems.

At this point I think we can agree that all of this is just some publicity stunt, given that the tank broke down on the parade to showcase it, it's not the final production tank, and has not be tested against any western tank.

the publicity stunt has a working turret, working displays, a working gun, and drives under it's own power. quite different from the iranian zulfiqar that has to be driven around on a tank transporter. and it was one tank breaking down during parade rehersal. the parade itself went without a hitch.

leopard 1 had an engine failure during a 250km road test, and major engine and transmission failures generally through it's few initial years.

the chieftain constantly broke down even in it's final form.

Abrams had engine and transmission issues which were later rectified.

My point is that any new transmission or engine is going to have issues.

give the russians 2 or 3 years and they'll have ironed them out.

so therefore i think it's wise for the brits to consider upgrading the challenger.

whatever happened to the CR-2E3 wasn't that going to be a smooth bore barrel with a totally unique hunter killer system?

I think they need to upgrade the kettle on it aswell :P

After the CR-2 did so badly in the Greek army trials.

I think it was pretty much the end of the project.

Edited by Marko