Duckheads or killer ghosts???

macieksoft

I wonder why there are no 3D models of unbuttoned vehicle crew. There are 3D models of unbuttoned soldiers but not a vehicle crew.

This is somehow annoying because unbuttoning do not makes you vulnerable to enemy fire, it just makes you vulnerable to tree branches but not a small arms fire :gun:

Now in SB you (or AI) can unbutton without a bigger risk because if your enemy is a human he will not see that you are unbuttoned. If he do not see you he will not shoot at you (ok, maybe unless he wants to waste all COAX ammo and overheat hes gun).

Its really hard to shoot at something you cannot see...

...This makes potential duckheads a killer ghosts...

...Yes ghosts exists in SB PRO PE making it in 99% a hardcore tank sim but we still have this damn 1% of fantasy game...

Ssnake, why don't you simply make 3D models of unbuttoned crew?

Because now unbuttoned crew is much more vulnerable to trees than enemy player fire :clin: As long as the enemy is AI they will keep shooting at you, but players will not because players cannot see you. I can even say that AI is a bit of "cheating" now because they can see invisible guys while players cannot see those guys.

Ssnake, why don't you simply make 3D models of unbuttoned crew?

If it was simple, I think it would already been done.

Besides you can see that the hatches are open and therefor asume that the "invisibly" TC is up.

SB well NEVER achieve 100% realism, no simulation can realy do that :-P.

But crew models would really be great.(at least in the world outside the tanks interior)

Besides you can see that the hatches are open and therefor asume that the "invisibly" TC is up.

I do not like to waste ammo when i am not sure if guy is up or down. Opened hatch do not equals unbuttoned guy. Just like the loader has hatch open most of the time but hes inside (at least i guess hes inside because he has nothing to do outside).

Also crewable loaders would be cool because its always a extra MG that counts in some cases (especially urban areas or forests).

And i guess its easy because there are already unbuttoned troops visible, so only new 3D model is needed and coding would be rather simple.

You can shoot into the open hatches with coax without any effect, regardless of the crew's posture. From what I could tell the only effect of having open hatches is increased vulnerability to HE splash from arty and other explosives.

Alway had the assumtion that there is a "damage box" for the TC and you don't hit because they'll botton up at the first wiff of small arms fire.

But I guess you tried that human vs human? So that damage box is AWOL too :-(

Are you a programmer? :-P

Just a bit :) it is not my job, more like hobby. I have some coding experience with vb.net, bascom basic (AVR microcontrolers), oval (for Psion Workabout MX terminals) and PHP (it was long time ago).

I also was writing scripts for various games, especially ArmA series.

But I guess you tried that human vs human? So that damage box is AWOL too :-(

Yeah, I confirmed that a while back when we first ran into the Leo 2E loaders MG bug (where shooting the loaders MG would damage the main gun, it's been fixed.) We tested other tanks and found that two M1 commanders firing the .50 cal at each other had no effect.