What tank would you pick to be playable

Marko

Nobody is perfect, when u forget what is position of the switch bad things happens. So you have to look at it when u are not sure about its position.

Which should be an extremely rare situation. 1st is show that your training is lousy and you're not combat ready.

And 2nd when your eyes are away from it your X00000$ optics are worth shit as you see nothing then. (edit: also I find the story of the tankie in IQ rather unlikely , as the US-crews are usually very well drilled)

Btw: do you think that when the gunner forgot how he has set the weapon selection AND he forgot to just simply touch it to feel how it is set, he would have had the idea of taking he head from the sight and look at the settings?? :-D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tiny bit OT, but how many of you would be willing to PAY to get the tanks you want? I would. I paid big $$ to get crappy tanks in WOT. I would happily pay $5-$10 to get a well-modeled tank in SB. I mean the designers of the game live off what they make in this. Yes, I paid the one-time price of a lifetime key, manual and even a DVD. But designing and incorporating tanks into this sim is an ongoing process. They get zilch, other than a lot of thank-yous for introducing new tanks. Even a voluntary PayPal contribution to them would probably be appreciated. Just a thought. :wink2:

Now where is my AMX LeClerc!?!?! :clap:

Which should be an extremely rare situation. 1st is show that your training is lousy and you're not combat ready.

And 2nd when your eyes are away from it your X00000$ optics are worth shit as you see nothing then. (edit: also I find the story of the tankie in IQ rather unlikely , as the US-crews are usually very well drilled)

Btw: do you think that when the gunner forgot how he has set the weapon selection AND he forgot to just simply touch it to feel how it is set, he would have had the idea of taking he head from the sight and look at the settings?? :-D

Actually, I bet it is not uncommon for that to happen. Happened to me during qualification on the M60A1. Between dancing around ejected shells, loading new ones that have to be the correct ones, switching the vent fan on so the Gunner and Loader (myself) don't suffocate from the smoke, hearing commands from the TC and having him kicking me in the CVC helmet to try and "speed me up", forgetting to switch from Coax to main gun is not some extraordinary error. On the M60A1 the switch for selecting main and coax is not even close to the gunner's reach. He would have to crawl over the bareel to get at it. And the gunner was more concerned about making sure he pushed the correct indexing button for ammo and getting his sight laid correctly. I dunno about the M1A2, but the M60A1 required a lot of work and concentration to get things done right. And that was on the range. Imagine being in combat and having to do all that stuff right the first time and every while rounds are pinging off you and shells are exploding all around you!!!

well, a pay per tank could potentially ruin multiplayer if access were restricted to certain vehicles. people would choose what multiplayer scenarios to attend based on the tanks used in that particulr scenario.

Not if it was voluntary contributions. Sorry, haven't gotten into multi yet. I'm not talking about BUYING tanks. I am talking about contributing to their development. Say they come out with the LeClerc or M60A3. Nothing wrong with me sending them a $5-$10 contribution to thank them for it. And if the scenario was so slanted that it would give a major advantage to a certain tank, why even play the scenario??? Sounds more like a scenario design problem than a tank problem.

A tiny bit OT, but how many of you would be willing to PAY to get the tanks you want? I would. I paid big $$ to get crappy tanks in WOT. I would happily pay $5-$10 to get a well-modeled tank in SB. I mean the designers of the game live off what they make in this. Yes, I paid the one-time price of a lifetime key, manual and even a DVD. But designing and incorporating tanks into this sim is an ongoing process. They get zilch, other than a lot of thank-yous for introducing new tanks. Even a voluntary PayPal contribution to them would probably be appreciated. Just a thought. :wink2:

Now where is my AMX LeClerc!?!?! :clap:

I remember thinking along the same lines

to be honest though you would be looking at considerably more the ten bucks a module. IMO

There was a post awhile back about costings for in game models,

A fully modelled turret with all the switches and dials is not cheap, runs in to the thousands for the time it takes to research/ model and all the testing your talking a lot of man hours

Its not really a viable option. IMO, happy to be wrong though. LoL

If such a project was viable you would need a large part of the community to donate and agree on a model type.

good luck with that.LoL

and that's assuming Esim had the time in there busy schedule to make it.

Back on topic.

Done a bit of research on the M-48 tank,

its seen a lot of combat been deployed world wide still in service in some third world armies

Mite make for a good playable in two flavours the 90mm and the 105mm

I remember thinking along the same lines

to be honest though you would be looking at considerably more the ten bucks a module. IMO

There was a post awhile back about costings for in game models,

A fully modelled turret with all the switches and dials is not cheap, runs in to the thousands for the time it takes to research/ model and all the testing your talking a lot of man hours

Its not really a viable option. IMO, happy to be wrong though. LoL

If such a project was viable you would need a large part of the community to donate and agree on a model type.

good luck with that.LoL

and that's assuming Esim had the time in there busy schedule to make it.

Back on topic.

Done a bit of research on the M-48 tank,

its seen a lot of combat been deployed world wide still in service in some third world armies

Mite make for a good playable in two flavours the 90mm and the 105mm

So you think giving them NOTHING for their effort is better? I'm not saying we fund the whole project. But what motivation do they have to do ANY of the tanks we want? Once you buy the sim, you get everything for free. At least 5 or 10 bucks would be enough to grab a pizza from Little Caesars :)

And what happens is the story of a main gun fired instead of COAX i told you one post before.

Look at the switch or you're bitch :bigsmile: Just a joke anyway...

Nobody is perfect, when u forget what is position of the switch bad things happens. So you have to look at it when u are not sure about its position.

Gunners do not switch from main to coax on there own, even after looking at the switch/light. The commander controls the gun, telling the gunner what to engage with, then without looking from the sight/trg he makes the correct switch, again without looking away from the sight.

This is how most if not all tank crew operate.

We do not let the gunner have control over what he wants to engage with, just not done.

Stories are just that stories to entertain the non tank crews.:wink2:

Gunners do not switch from main to coax on there own, even after looking at the switch/light. The commander controls the gun, telling the gunner what to engage with, then without looking from the sight/trg he makes the correct switch, again without looking away from the sight.

This is how most if not all tank crew operate.

We do not let the gunner have control over what he wants to engage with, just not done.

Stories are just that stories to entertain the non tank crews.:wink2:

Ever hear of Mr. Murphy and his law? How about the saying "sh** happens"? :)

A tiny bit OT, but how many of you would be willing to PAY to get the tanks you want? I would. I paid big $$ to get crappy tanks in WOT. I would happily pay $5-$10 to get a well-modeled tank in SB.

I think you'd need to add three or four zeros after the "$5-$10" as well as provide access to the real thing, its training manuals, its ammunition data, its armour specs, ... to get a "well-modeled tank".

Esp if only 3 or 4 people wanted it.

This is after you somehow come up with a magic fix for the multi player issue already mentioned.

I think you'd need to add three or four zeros after the "$5-$10" as well as provide access to the real thing, its training manuals, its ammunition data, its armour specs, ... to get a "well-modeled tank".

Esp if only 3 or 4 people wanted it.

This is after you somehow come up with a magic fix for the multi player issue already mentioned.

Again...not saying we finance the REAL COST of the whole dang tank. Just saying $5-$10 is SOMETHING and better than just taking and not giving. The multi-player "issue" sounds like a scenario adjustment issue.

I'm all for saying "thank you" (in part why I have 8 licenses) but I'm not sure those part donations would justify / influence moving something up the priority list.

I'm sure Ssnake would greatfully accept any donations though and who knows it might change outsomes. :)

Not my intention to get the tanks we want moved up the priority list. That is the manufacturer's call.:wink2: Just saying a contribution, however small, IF they do make a tank we want, certainly wouldn't be refused. Yikes! 8 licenses!!! Will you adopt me? :bigsmile:

Well at the time they weren't that expensive. :)

And it allowed me to market the game to others by providing loan licenses in the days before the time limited option.

BTW spent some time with 3 ACR when they were still an ACR (not a 4WD club :)) and they were great guys - rest easy, your traditions were passed on. :)

So you think giving them NOTHING for their effort is better? I'm not saying we fund the whole project. But what motivation do they have to do ANY of the tanks we want? Once you buy the sim, you get everything for free. At least 5 or 10 bucks would be enough to grab a pizza from Little Caesars :)

Not dismissing your idea just saying its not as easy as one mite think.

How do I know this. because I had a similar idea and made a thread about it.

Any how when I win the euro millions lottery I am going to throw money at them to build my personal wish list of AFV's many would be surprised what's on my list. LoL

IRC, buying enough of the developer's time to produce a new tank will cost around 10000\20000 pizzas.

No problem so long as you order them on Tuesdays its buy one get one free day in my local Dominos but you only get to pick two toppings and no soft drink.LoL

I heard the same story as part of a documentary on Desert Storm. They were engaging Iraqi units and a guy stand up with an RPG pointed right at the tank. The gunners reaction was to aim and fire... problems solved :-)

Well at the time they weren't that expensive. :)

And it allowed me to market the game to others by providing loan licenses in the days before the time limited option.

BTW spent some time with 3 ACR when they were still an ACR (not a 4WD club :)) and they were great guys - rest easy, your traditions were passed on. :)

Excellent! I was with them in 1969-70 to finish out my enlistment after Nam. I was in I Troop, 3rd Squadron. Lots of returning vets were with them. Started out in an M113 mortar track, then got sent to the tank platoon when they were short handed. Had a lot of good times with them. That dang M60A1 was VERY TALL. You don't want to climb out of the commander's hatch if you are afraid of heights. A fall from there could break a leg or neck real easy. Also made the M60A1 a nice big fat target too. :icon_frown:

I saw some M48s when I was in Nam. They mainly stayed on road police duty. Go into the rice paddies and they were dead meat. RPGs really tore the heck out of our armor.

Not dismissing your idea just saying its not as easy as one mite think.

How do I know this. because I had a similar idea and made a thread about it.

Any how when I win the euro millions lottery I am going to throw money at them to build my personal wish list of AFV's many would be surprised what's on my list. LoL

Actually, it would be very simple. All they would have to do is set up a PayPal account to send donations to. Again...I am not suggesting we send money to BUILD the tanks we want. We would have to be multi-millionaires to have any influence on tank construction. Just a way of saying "thank you" for what they have done, and showing we care enough about the sim to help support it, however small that support may be. Heck, I'm surprised there is no option for a "Forum Sponsor". Also surprised there is no Steel Beasts merchandise available. Seems like Steel Beasts needs a marketing adviser badly. :wink2: T-Shirts, mouse pads, bumper stickers, coffee mugs, can koozies, etc. SB is missing out on some real cash income not having all that stuff.:luxhello: