Putting an FO team in a high Tower?

Werewolf

I vaguely recall that in vs 2.64 I could set a defense or guard point in the castle looking tower, tell an FO team to move to the waypoint at scenario start and it would happen. The FO team would show at the top of the tower.

Don't seem to be able to do that in 3.028.

AM I doing something wrong or will infantry just not do that anymore.

Sure would be a nice place to put a forward artillery observer.

IIRC putting the tactic just behind the building works.

They get to the location recognise the "Defend" / "Hold" / "Guard" command and determine that inside the building is the best place to do that.

According to the Wiki:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Infantry_Units#Buildings

the different tactics determine where they occupy (ground, upper, roof, etc.) but I have heard read and heard discussion that this is not always true.

• Members
I vaguely recall that in vs 2.64 I could set a defense or guard point in the castle looking tower, tell an FO team to move to the waypoint at scenario start and it would happen. The FO team would show at the top of the tower.

I vaguely recall telling people that. As it turned out, this is what "I" wanted but not what was actually programmed, so I and Al were talking past each other without noticing. So, no - it couldn't be done even in 2.654.

(It may become possible next summer however.)

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciated...

I just checked and troops can get up in those castles just fine, you just need to set them on hold or defend orders like any other building.

So where should the waypoint be placed? I'm putting it dead center of the tower now and have tried guard and defend (not hold though) and they won't go in.

• Members

Yes. They will "see" the building in front of them (just like tanks recognize emplacements ahead of them) and utilize them for their positioning.

The medieval watchtower may be one of those buildings where "hold" tactics will actually succeed in placing the FO team on the top. But you can't expect this to always work on every high rise building. It will actually depend on variables that you as the end users can't "see" ... and it's something that we intend to change (see my previous post).

In short, it MAY work for some buildings but not for most, because of that internal misunderstanding that we had, which turned out to be a factor obfuscating that we actually HAD this misunderstanding because the discrepancy wasn't totally obvious until recently.

In short, it MAY work for some buildings but not for most, because of that internal misunderstanding that we had, which turned out to be a factor obfuscating that we actually HAD this misunderstanding because the discrepancy wasn't totally obvious until recently.

Does that mean that you had a misunderstanding but didn't know you had had it because of misunderstanding? :clin: