Pimp my ride!

Belphe

Gentlemen,

Please, don't flame me if you consider the question below blasphemy... ;)

*** Is there ANY chance/plan/hope for this SIMULATION to receive a new graphics engine? ***

I am not an arcade player and I cannot praise the depth and realism of Steel Beasts enough but I can't help but notice how the mainstream tank games start to look like nowadays. Tanking has never been prettier with titles such as War Thunder, Armored Warfare and the constantly upgraded World of Tanks. Despite the fact that even mentioning them here is a dishonour ;) they do show what modern PCs can generate. Shading, HDR lighting, smoke and particle effects, not to mention working suspension and the ground mesh reacting to tracks (not only with track texture marks but with actual 3D ruts!).

I am aware of how this SIM started and that the Pro PE is just an add-on the the main military version but couldn't Steel Beasts venture in the footsteps of the very highly advanced flying simulations created military and commercial pilots that offer beautiful and BELIEVABLE graphics? Of course, this will never be a Community-driven project but perhaps you heard some rumours or statements in this regard that could give me a bit of hope.. :)

What do you think?

Regards -

Belphe

As far as one can interpret the statements from official esim side, there general improvements on the way. One has just to keep in mind that the scope of the current "tanky" games is much smaller (mini maps and realively few units on map) when comparing graphics. Size and performance have its prize.

Gentlemen,

*** Is there ANY chance/plan/hope for this SIMULATION to receive a new graphics engine? ***

I am not an arcade player and I cannot praise the depth and realism of Steel Beasts enough but I can't help but notice how the mainstream tank games start to look like nowadays. Tanking has never been prettier with titles such as War Thunder, Armored Warfare and the constantly upgraded World of Tanks. Despite the fact that even mentioning them here is a dishonour ;) they do show what modern PCs can generate. Shading, HDR lighting, smoke and particle effects, not to mention working suspension and the ground mesh reacting to tracks (not only with track texture marks but with actual 3D ruts!).

I am aware of how this SIM started and that the Pro PE is just an add-on the the main military version but couldn't Steel Beasts venture in the footsteps of the very highly advanced flying simulations created military and commercial pilots that offer beautiful and BELIEVABLE graphics? Of course, this will never be a Community-driven project but perhaps you heard some rumours or statements in this regard that could give me a bit of hope.. :)

What do you think?

Regards -

Belphe

It's not blasphemy....the question comes up from time to time. I'd also like to see a modern graphics engine on a par with Arma 3 (which can do the long-range distances that SB needs). But I gather that the answer is "not anytime soon." eSim has said that the next update will feature a much higher topographical resolution (from 12.5 meter grid down to less-than-1-meter grid.) So, that will help somewhat in making the terrain more realistic looking. But the bottom line is that this sim is driven by what their military customers want, and apparently the kind of graphics you see in commercial games is not high on their military customers' wish lists.

But :-(...we, we already brought forks, scythes, torches and all that. Marko has gone off collecting fire-wood. What shall we do now?

Hahaha.. Very good! It made me laugh. Thank you all for your answers - I guess all we need to do is get a billionaire to purchase this sim (Pro PE only) and start a Kickstarter for it! :D

• Members

I suspect that you're not so much asking for a new engine per se, but for visual improvements. There are a number of factors in play to accomplish that, and the render engine is only one (small, but also important) element in the equation.

The biggest difference between WoT and other modern games (be they featuring tanks or not) is that they have smaller maps that are usually "hand crafted" but a comparatively large horde of artists and level designers.

So the scope of each map is smaller (and it can afford more details), and there's an enormous amount of raw manpower at work. We can change neither. We can't hire hundreds of people to work on more detailed maps, and we're unwilling to reduce the map dimensions because that's what our (army) customers need, and there are routinely demands among the players of the Personal Edition to have even bigger maps, too.

We're currently working on a new terrain engine which, in the coming years, will bring substantial improvements in the way how we can model real-life terrain in ways that we currently can't do. Also, this new terrain engine will make things prettier.

A new render engine might allow us to become more efficient in the render cycle, but since we must modernize legacy code (each new version of SB Pro builds on top of previous versions and isn't created entirely from scratch), this is only a long-term goal for us.

Then there's the question of additional artwork to create more visual variety, and yes, we're constantly working on that, but with a 400km² map a handful of new building types are not always immediately visible.

I suspect that you're not so much asking for a new engine per se, but for visual improvements. There are a number of factors in play to accomplish that, and the render engine is only one (small, but also important) element in the equation.

The biggest difference between WoT and other modern games (be they featuring tanks or not) is that they have smaller maps that are usually "hand crafted" but a comparatively large horde of artists and level designers.

So the scope of each map is smaller (and it can afford more details), and there's an enormous amount of raw manpower at work. We can change neither. We can't hire hundreds of people to work on more detailed maps, and we're unwilling to reduce the map dimensions because that's what our (army) customers need, and there are routinely demands among the players of the Personal Edition to have even bigger maps, too.

We're currently working on a new terrain engine which, in the coming years, will bring substantial improvements in the way how we can model real-life terrain in ways that we currently can't do. Also, this new terrain engine will make things prettier.

A new render engine might allow us to become more efficient in the render cycle, but since we must modernize legacy code (each new version of SB Pro builds on top of previous versions and isn't created entirely from scratch), this is only a long-term goal for us.

Then there's the question of additional artwork to create more visual variety, and yes, we're constantly working on that, but with a 400km² map a handful of new building types are not always immediately visible.

Thank you Sir! Your post is very informative. I'm looking forward to future upgrades to this great Sim.

Gentlemen,

What do you think?

Regards -

Belphe

Do not feel like a 2nd class citizen or be embarassed by playing WOT. I also still play it. But not as much since I branched off, actually returned to, simulations. I think the folks that play SB aren't all that interested in smoke coming out of exhaust pipes or trees waving back and forth like a metronome. Nvidia's PhysX gives you that stuff. It's nice, but not really all that necessary. What I would like to see is an increase in the use of, and benefits of, cammo paint on tanks, cammo nets, and hiding behind foliage.

One other thing...not all of us can afford "modern PCs". The ones I have are ex-servers I got off E-Bay and upgraded. They work "okay", but no way I can set it at maxed-out settings. That's another plus of Steel Beasts. I get spectacular frame rates with it. Far better than I ever get on WOT.

As you may know, WOT has eliminated a bunch of maps. And the ones that are still there are mainly "corridor maps" where you are funneled into the same routes every time. Not exactly what I would call real world situations.

Will visible weather be part of the next update ?