New to SBPro. Few questions and LOS tool trouble.

wildbillkelsoe

Hi, I am hardcore simulator guy coming from flight and submarine simulators. Nice to see a full tank simulator like SB Pro.

I would like to know what does the LOS tool do in the sense of placing a left click on any part of the map. I know that grey areas or lines indicate zero visibility, pink areas indicate average vehicle visibility, and white areas or lines indicate turret only visibility.

So if I click anywhere on the map, the center of that circle is the unit in question of the enemy? Like if I know that the enemy is coming from a bridge head coords 123456 so if I place a LOS object in that position, does that indicate what they see or what I would see from my owned vehicle?

Also, the height adjustment slider is a bit confusing. So if at ground zero (mission start) I am at 34 meters high ground, and I set the slider to 34 meters, then click anywhere away from my vehicle, is this the LOS to be seen if the ground is flat or is that higher than the ground? (34+34 = 68 meters) LOS?

Also, if as a commander I do not spot the tank (am I limited because the gunner arc of scanning is somewhere else?), and the gunner spots it but spots other vehicles (Personnel Carriers), how to prioritize tanks as a target?

Can I dig a hole under me so only my turret is visible? I tried firing on the ground under me (grass) but the round ricocheted. Does the same happen to tanks with armor at angle? And does this mean my shot should be 90 degrees to the intended hit point?

The debrief file shows where the target was hit but does not specify the part hit (for example left aft fuel tank). Is this intentional or am I looking at the wrong AAR?

If my unit is tactic/nothing, how to bring up the arc of observation with the dot and what does that dot indicate? Does it indicate the range my gunner will observe? What if my target is on a clear LOS but beyond observe range dot? Does the gunner report him?

Scouting question: In instant action/M1A1 I am surrounded by minefield. I set a series of Scout waypoints then begin the game, does my tank spot the mine? I know MICLC should be used but if the mines are hidden and a scouting plan is used, the tank will spot the hidden mines?

Lastly, any commands to align the turret with hull? not my view (I know it is Up arrow), but the hull itself.

Thanks in advance.

Think the LOS tool the other way around:

center point is your position...from the grey area you can not be seen, from the white ones your turret can be seen and from the pink ones turret and hull can be seen.

You on the other side can observe into the white and the pink areas.

As to this question:

"Also, if as a commander I do not spot the tank (am I limited because the gunner arc of scanning is somewhere else?), and the gunner spots it but spots other vehicles (Personnel Carriers), how to prioritize tanks as a target?"

AI is pretty dumb in that sense. But it will try to attack the most dangerous target.

So usually when AI (gunner or TC) spots a tank and a PC, it should fire on the tank.

If you are the TC yourself, you can of course direct the gunner to the target you intent.

AI gunners do yell out at what they see. Depending you the tank you use, you are able to align you optics with the gunners or use the gunners sight extension.

By that way you can ID and priotitise targets.

...I'm working on the rest of the Q already ;-)

Can I dig a hole under me so only my turret is visible? I tried firing on the ground under me (grass) but the round ricocheted. Does the same happen to tanks with armor at angle? And does this mean my shot should be 90 degrees to the intended hit point?

No, terrain can not be manipolated during the game phase.(besides a HEAT or sabot round will make only a very small hole ;-) )

You can however place vehicle emplacemets during the planing phase. This models the engineers digging a scrape-out for you. (although this does not work perfectly in SB)

90°(or 0°...depending on reference)) Angle is nice as it increases the change of penetrating. Modern tank round will not ricochet...they dig into the armour at nearly all angles

The debrief file shows where the target was hit but does not specify the part hit (for example left aft fuel tank). Is this intentional or am I looking at the wrong AAR?

The AAR will onyl tell you if it was light/heavy damage or in crew got killed.

In game you get a more detailed statues report of your vehicles.(red flashing texts at right screen side)

If my unit is tactic/nothing, how to bring up the arc of observation with the dot and what does that dot indicate? Does it indicate the range my gunner will observe? What if my target is on a clear LOS but beyond observe range dot? Does the gunner report him?

Not, units need a tactic to do that.

The dot indicated the main effort of observation. If on a slope the Tank will move forward till it can at least observe to the point where the dot is. If th AI spots a target beyond that dot...it will engage it unless you have given the a restiction in range, or a hold fir order. AI will report the enemy

Scouting question: In instant action/M1A1 I am surrounded by minefield. I set a series of Scout waypoints then begin the game, does my tank spot the mine? I know MICLC should be used but if the mines are hidden and a scouting plan is used, the tank will spot the hidden mines?

it will spot open layed mines.

hidden mines are currently only spotable by "running into them"

• Members
The dot indicated the main effort of observation.

Only indirectly. The LOS bubble denotes the reference location for the unit to assume a hull-down position - in the absence of (known) enemy. Once that enemy is observed the unit's vehicles will adjust their position to maintain a hull-down position to that enemy, and ignore the LOS bubble settings (until no more known enemy is around/alive).

The LOS bubble defaults to a distance of 1500m, the value that used to be hard-coded in SB Pro until about version 3.0. This led to the problem that in mountaineous terrain it could lead to overexposure on the front side of a hill slope as the reference point was in a deep valley, when enemy units might actually appear on a ridge line beyond. In that case the defenders were fully exposed, so we made this adjustable.

• Members
Lastly, any commands to align the turret with hull? not my view (I know it is Up arrow), but the hull itself.

None that I know of...

There is none because the driver usually has only marginal overview where the turret actually is (unless the gun tube happens to be in his field of view). Steer the hull with A/D until it's in the direction that you want ... just like in real life when you'd order the driver to "turn left" (or right) until you order him to stop turning.

• Members
Scouting question: In instant action/M1A1 I am surrounded by minefield. I set a series of Scout waypoints then begin the game, does my tank spot the mine?

it will spot open layed mines.

hidden mines are currently only spotable by "running into them"

Not quite. The chance to spot buried mines is "low", particularly if you're not on a "scout" route and moving faster than "slow". Even then the chance isn't "great", but still "much better" than near-zero.

The practical consequence is that most of the time you run over a mine and find the obstacle that way. But if you were extra cautious you do have a decent chance to spot them.

Of course, by slowing you down massively the minefield has already accomplished its tactical purpose.

Ssnake, thank you for the explanation about the LOS bubble. Now I know my the issue with tanks moving out of the position I want them in is my own fault and not a bug in the program.

Also, I have experienced tanks in the the instant action scenario finding the mines by both methods, stopping before or after mines are run over.