Lasing troubles - consistency

wildbillkelsoe

So in the manner of gunnery, I know from reading that the reticle should cover most of the tank or PC but sometimes, the reading is changing the gun elevation abruptly, as when targeting the main gun by the dot, the reading somehow is excess. This is very true for long range targeting but for medium to short range, and receding ones, this is of no consequence.

My question is: do I need to use the palm switch after last "target" call? Do I need to look up and zeroize the LRF prior to engaging the next one?

Or should I shift to GAS for these long range shots? Its like the hull-turret line laser going though and giving longer range than it really is. Am I making sense?

Then comes the manner of consistency: Should I lase and lase again to be sure the difference is like 10 meters between LRFR1-LRFR2? (laser rangefinder reading one minus two)?

Finally, should I use the dash marks on either side to ensure the target with known length or presenting horizontal dimension is within a range band? For example, a T-72 occupying 3/4 of the dash marks on either side of reticle should not be lesser in range than a previously engaged T-72 occupying 1.5 the dash mark at closer range band?

Thanks

It would be easier to offer advice, if its know what tank you are talking about as their fire control systems vary quiete a bit.

What i can assume so far, ist sounds like a "bad lase" problem : at longer ranges the "laser spot" get larger then a tank. So you will get return echo from foreground or backround. Some tanks have the option to differentiate between 1st and last return ranging.

Make sure that you only have the target and foreground inside the lase-circle on last return , and only the target and backround on 1st return settings.

This way its easier to get a good lase.

Edited by Grenny

well I am sorry I should have been clearer. I am training on M1A1 tank. Your explanation of laser getting more larger with distance makes sense. So what can I do to improve acuity (sharpness) at range? Also, I would like to know if using "Enter" to manually input range works in M1A1 or do I need to enter a specific FCS (fire control system) to enable it.

Many thanks

Those who know the M1 better hopefully correct me if write rubbish here, but i think the M1 FCS i on last return by default?

The best way would be: aim a bit low, so the circle has mainly the foreground and the tank inside, this way the target will be the last thing that bounces a laser signal back. If you also have backround in the circle...the target gets hit first or in between by the laser and something in the backround...maybe1000 behind your target gets hit last...this "last return" is what your FCS takes as distance and you will overshoot the target.

Anyway,aim low, have tgt and foreground in the circle...lase and get a return. Then aim center mass of the target abd fire your round (do not lase again).

Don't know if that helps. A picture would be better, but i'm just typing on my cellphone here .

• Members

The laser beam of the range finder has a dispersion of .5 mil (no, there is NOTHING that you can do to reduce it!), but the M1's primary sight's center circle of the reticule is 1 mil in diameter. So the circle does NOT show the boundaries of the laser but is actually larger!

See these two reticules in comparison:

M1A1(HA)_GPS_daylight_10x.jpg

and

Leo2A5DK_daylight_12x.jpg

While in the Leo 2 the gunner can clearly see the edges of the laser's "sensor cone", the M1 gunner can only estimate where the edge is (well, "half the inner circle", for what it's worth). So you have to be extra careful in the case of multiple returns that the displayed range in your sight is actually plausible for the apparent size of the target.

I have experienced errors when lasing centre of mass.

There are intermittent 'flashes' of gap between turret and hull at some ranges (on T-xx tanks most often, but that may be merely because of my preference for mission/target).

Sometimes a centre of turret ring first return lase will give a 'far' range well in excess of the target distance at similar ranges which seem anomalous.

As the lase is only approximated by a few rays traced over the area, it is possible that this is only luck playing it's part, but I wonder which LOD is tested, and whether the visual glitch applies to the lase testing... as the consistency may be much better when the lase centre is offset from the turret ring, either to the turret face or the hull.

No large systematic test to provide numbers. Just an observation on the preponderance of the "wtf" moments when simulation doesn't match expectation in this area.

I have experienced errors when lasing centre of mass.

There are intermittent 'flashes' of gap between turret and hull at some ranges (on T-xx tanks most often, but that may be merely because of my preference for mission/target).

Sometimes a centre of turret ring first return lase will give a 'far' range well in excess of the target distance at similar ranges which seem anomalous.

As the lase is only approximated by a few rays traced over the area, it is possible that this is only luck playing it's part, but I wonder which LOD is tested, and whether the visual glitch applies to the lase testing... as the consistency may be much better when the lase centre is offset from the turret ring, either to the turret face or the hull.

No large systematic test to provide numbers. Just an observation on the preponderance of the "wtf" moments when simulation doesn't match expectation in this area.

Yes, tried it at about 1000m -1200m, beyond I could not get it to happen.

On last return, when aiming at the ring(moving turret) just below the gun mantled...you get a F999 reading when the gun is just not facing at you.

Edit:didnt notice in game yet...at 1000-1500 is usually use battle sight engament.

Well, THAT would actually be a bug. Hopefully it can be replicated with some consistency. Does it only happen on flat terrain?

I've noticed it most often when using the default "null" map, when trying out various vehicles.

I'm sure I've seen it at much longer range, with the vehicles with higher magnification. (M1A2 for example).

It has also happened on regular maps, but I'd not call it repeatable then. The ground needn't be level, just that the target vehicle is on ground with a slope which matches the LOS elevation. Rare, but not vanishingly.

Grenny, your image links to an attachment on the 911 forum, and isn't visible unless you're logged in there.

Ok, sorry i'll mod the picture to load it up here...

Thanks for the video. I also see a similar fault when aiming at the vehicle front, turret ring, just below the gun mantle.

Edited by Grenny

Eeeeeh, I don´t get it, what is going wrong?

If you lase and one Pixel out of Target (for the Sim and Leo 2A5 for Example) the FCS will show the distance of the second Echo and start blinking...

If your Laser is not ready (Lasing 26 Times in a Minute) it will show 999 !

You have to know how a LRF is working, this is not WoT Guys.

Edited by Eisenschwein

Eeeeeh, I don´t get it, what is going wrong?

If you lase and one Pixel out of Target (for the Sim and Leo 2A5 for Example) the FCS will show the distance of the second Echo and start blinking...

If your Laser is not ready (Lasing 26 Times in a Minute) it will show 999 !

You have to know how a LRF is working, this is not WoT Guys.

Hah. well...waiting 10 seconds between lases indeed eleminates that problem.

I feel like "Dohhh"