New US Army Camouflage Pattern

Apocalypse 31

For those players who enjoy the finer details....

As of 1 JUL 15, the United States Army has authorized Soldiers to wear the new OCP-Scorpion camouflage pattern. Additionally, the wear of the OCP Multicam camouflage is now authorized for US Soldiers world-wide - prior to 1 July 15, it was only for Soldiers deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (Minus US Army Ranger Regiment, and several units stationed in Europe).

Splash has made us a great camo pattern for use:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/327/p13_fileid/2103

2103.png

OCP Scorpion and Multicam have some differences in functionality, as well as minor differences in their pattern appearance.

I own and wear both uniforms, and I can tell that Scorpion uses a 'green' base versus Multicam which seems to have a 'tan' base. Either way, both patterns are much better than the gray/green ACU. Also, the arm pockets on the Scorpion uniform no longer have the typical 'flap' pockets from the ASUs.

Comparison of the two uniforms - Scorpion on the left, Multicam on the right.

Scorpion+V.+OCP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wore the OCP in Afghanistan in 2012. I was Air Force attached to Army, so we got to ditch our ABUs (which doesn't have a hot weather option!) and go with OCPs instead, and we thought they were fantastic.

The OCP/Multicam was very comfortable and light. So long as I had water and my boonie hat, 100-110 deg F was okay. Wearing it under armor was no problem, although they gave us combat shirts specifically for that. The main closure is zipper and breast pockets and zipper flap are velcro (err, I should have said "hook and loop").

My only gripe was that the uniforms wore out rather quickly. They didn't like repeated washing. You could tell how long a person was there based on how ragged the uniform appeared - Velcro splaying out, the material getting frayed and lighter color, etc.

We were issued 4 sets for a 6 month tour. I tried to stick to 2 sets and keep the other 2 sets in reserve. The first set was looking about shot by the end of the tour.

Edited by LtGeorge
Velcro vs hook-&-loop, ACU vs ABU

• 9 months later...

You down with OCP?

I started this project awhile back then shelved it because, (a) The U.S. military has been particularly fickle of late on camo patterns, and (b) to my eye, at least, there's precious little difference between it and the MultiCam I had already done. But I rediscovered my swatch while doing another project, so here it is. Any suggestions (or interest, for that matter)?

I went with a Coyote Brown body armor because I read somewhere that was the plan for issue. And I kind of like the look. But I've also seen some photos of green gear. Are they doing accouterments in the new pattern? That would be easy enough to work up. I'm not keen on trying to paint a more modern type of armor, because the sim's modeling still comes through.

Anyway ... discuss.

Some pics with 4.0 graphics and lighting.

OCP.jpg

Multicam.jpg

2 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

I'd go ahead and upload both versions.

The MultiCam skin has been available for download for a few years now (with a couple of updates). I just provided the pic for comparison with the newer camo under present game lighting. I should have pointed out, though, top pic is OCP; bottom is MultiCam.

12 hours ago, Splash said:

Any suggestions (or interest, for that matter)?

I went with a Coyote Brown body armor because I read somewhere that was the plan for issue. And I kind of like the look. But I've also seen some photos of green gear. Are they doing accouterments in the new pattern? That would be easy enough to work up. I'm not keen on trying to paint a more modern type of armor, because the sim's modeling still comes through.

Anyway ... discuss.

Some pics with 4.0 graphics and lighting.

OCP.jpg

I'd say just go back to Multicam pattern - ditch the coyote.

We have not been issued any coyote pattern vests, and I dont see that happening - nor have I heard of that happening. Our deployed forces are still using Multicam uniforms and kit. 

If I was going to really nitpick: the vest depicted in the picture (I think its part of the model) is the OLD Interceptor Body Armor, which is now obsolete by two vests. US Forces have since moved to the IOTV, IOTV Gen II, then Gen III, and now the SPCS (Plate Carrier) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Plate_Carrier_System

Edited by Apocalypse 31

Cata's artwork is very nice. I used that particular skin before 3.0.
Unfortunately, this is what it looks like on the 4.0 model.

S0IRrFM.jpg

The interceptordress model used by the U.S. in the sim is less obtrusive, especially at a distance, but still requires modding to do what you want.

Although it certainly can be done, eSim neither recommends nor supports modding the normal maps. So while I might do it for myself occasionally (shhh), I'm not keen to release a skin that requires a normal map mod. To be blunt, explaining its installation might be difficult for players who, to put it delicately, sometimes are challenged by the mod folder structure.

I used the first photo you supplied as a guide, and I think my texture is a passible knock-off. I'm afraid that's going to be the extent of my progress with the current model. Sorry.