Next SB Pro PE 64 bit ONLY

Ssnake

• Members

I'd like to announce (as early as possible) that the next major release of SB Pro PE (scheduled for about June 2016) will no longer support 32 bit mode, but will be compiled exclusively for 64 bit.

The new terrain engine, while being more efficient in memory handling, will still require more than 4 GByte of RAM in a number of situations that aren't entirely foreseeable for the user (or the mission designer), so they would be experienced as "random crashes".

The only winning move is not to play, so we have to abandon 32 bit support by then. While we're at it, the officially supported Windows versions will be 7 and up.

• Members

Before the loading of drivers, the Redmond Gods have placed tinkering with the loading sequence in the autoexec.bat to free up those critical two extra kilobytes so the loader itself will fit into base memory.

HIGHMEM and A20 Gate, how dearly I miss you - NOT!

@ Ssnake -

I've been using the x64 version for some time now, and given that the 32 and 64 bit versions are incompatible anyway, I think I can support your decision to move to 64 bit quite easily.

To those still using 32 bit systems, now might be a good time to upgrade, and it might not even require a new computer. If your hardware can support it, you could partition your existing drive, or maybe add a new drive specifically for gaming, install a 64bit OS as a dual boot so you could switch between 32 and 64 as desired, and some extra RAM, and be good to go.

My PC got a lot faster with just the extra RAM available with a 64 bit OS.

Time TO... ?

I thought Win98 was in museums alongs with skeletons of dinosaurs already? :heu:

/KT

It still works. I still have it on a PC for certain things.

Get some time up.

8" single sided, or for the descerning user - punch cards!

When attention to detail is important.

8in single-sided was JUST before my time, but I remember Boot Disks, Autoexec.bat and Highmem.sys with great affection. In those days, simply getting the game to run was a real accomplishment. The general opinion at that time was that no game would ever be made to run under Windows as the OS hogged all the resources! Now where did I put my rose tinted glasses?