Question about the trees

j235667

Let me apologize in advance in case I missed this addressed somewhere else in the forum...

Why in some scenarios are the trees immoveable and trap tanks while in others the trees are more..frangible and able to be knocked over?

Is it a matter of how the scenario was made or a matter of the version it was made in?

Is there a way to "convert" scenarios in order to get the more trees moveable trees and save my attacking forces from being separated even before they make enemy contact?

TIA

John

• Members

Individual trees can all be knocked over with a sufficiently heavy tank (note however that not every tree can be knocked over by every armored vehicle, e.g. compare M1 and M113 or ASLAV to see the differences).

Forest trees (either the deciduous or the coniferous type) can USUALLY be knocked over, but there's a random variation in play which makes some trees much tougher. This would abstract the effect that trees tend to entangle their branches with their neighbors so that you might have to deal with two or three trees simultaneously when that happens. We can't visualize this, but at least the tactical effect is the same.

The tanker's rule of thumb is that if you don't fit between trees, they are usually so small that you can run them over. If you can't run them over, they are usually far enough apart that you can wiggle through and don't need to knowck them over.

Knocking over trees, as impressive as it was to army spectators as early as 1915 in the first trials, has never been a favorite pastime for tankers. They block your view, they can seriously wound exposed crew members and damage external equipment, or strip off your gear.